Discuss Time! Issue 141 Your first gaming purchase

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

crusto

Re: Discuss Time! Issue 141 Your first gaming purchase

Post by crusto » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:50 pm

First game/console I bought with work wages was a SNES with SMW, obviously I loved it. I worked full time, 9-5 at a carpet wholesalers for £40 per week for almost my entire school summer holidays to be able to afford that.

Iirc Dragon Spirit for the PCE was the first game I saved up pocket money for, loved that too.

Eat your nans pants

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:03 pm

With my own money and not with someone else's? I want to say Manic Miner for the C64, after playing the Speccy version quite a bit. It's a great port, it even replicates the horrendous title screen music :lol:

The only downer was the terrible 20 minute (!) loading time. I swear the verify process was not de-activated, so it was actually loading in two copies of the game and comparing them. Thankfully the game would occasionally "hiccup" during loading and auto start, so I only had to wait about 12-14 minutes instead...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:52 pm

Xmas 1985 was fast approaching, I had a part-time job and in what was then 5th year of senior school (so I was 15). The job paid enough for me to buy a ZX Spectrum+ from Dixons on interest free credit (that was taken out in my parents' name). To go with the system I also bought the splendiferous Monty On The Run, a game that is still just as much fun now as it was then. Brilliant Xmas, even if it was paid for by me. :lol:

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:49 am

I Bought Mastertronic's Chiller mid December 1984 before Father Christmas had delivered my gift wrapped Commodore 64. This was in the days when the local newsagent stocked video games! I remember being quite happy playing Chiller and becoming reasonably good at it. I don't think I ever managed the return journey after rescuing the girl though.

On Boxing Day I bought Bruce Lee, technically my second purchase, but my first as a C64 owner! I spent £9.99 of my Christmas money. It remains one of my favourite games to this day.

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:36 am

The first games I can remember purchasing with my own money (well ok, birthday money) were Fist 2, Real Ghostbusters and Bart vs the Space Mutants on the Speccy.

Definitely no regrets at the time but then again at 6-7 years old I wasn't fussy at all in regards to the games I played :)

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:54 am

The first game I remember paying for myself was X-Men: Children of the Atom for the Sega Saturn.

Being a the pinnacle of a 90's Arcade child, and rightfully choosing the Saturn over the PS1 and N64, I knew this game would be one of the reasons in my decision as I absolutely loved the arcade version. Low and behold, I was right. 3 months of pocket money saving well justified. I still want a Megalo-50 version though

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:38 pm

First memory of buying a game was Chips Challenge for the Speccy. Had to save pocket money to afford it as it wasn't typical cassette but a "big box" game. Loved that game, appealed to a puzzle lover!
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:45 pm

Hunchback for the Spectrum. I've vivid memories of buying, then playing & enjoying it, but can't quite remember why I bought it. Either I liked the boxart or read the review in Crash!

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:57 pm

Interceptor Frogger on the Vic 20. I can still picture the cassette cover. I remember clearly, taking the letter to the post box on a cold November evening, cycling the mile or so to the nearest one. It had a postal order for £5.50 inside.

Come Christmas Day, I was thrilled with Frogger - as far as I was concerned, it was just the same as the arcade game - in the same way that Amok was the same as Bezerk.

Brilliant memories.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:24 pm

nhlpa 93 on the mega drive, bought at the end of 93 for £20

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:24 pm

It's all a bit fuzzy, but apart from the Spectravideo cart game that someone ported to the C= 64 last(?) year, my first original game for my 64 was possibly Hexpert from Anirog. I expect I had plenty of pie-rat game by then though.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:25 am

NorthWay wrote:It's all a bit fuzzy, but apart from the Spectravideo cart game that someone ported to the C= 64 last(?) year
Cosmic Ark? For the RGCD contest.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:28 am

My dad used to pick up games, usually from friends and neighbours etc. I think the first game I remember actively buying with my own money was Mastertronic Jungle Story. What a waste of 1.99...

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:25 pm

Mayhem wrote:
NorthWay wrote:It's all a bit fuzzy, but apart from the Spectravideo cart game that someone ported to the C= 64 last(?) year
Cosmic Ark? For the RGCD contest.
Time passes too quickly. ColecoVision Frantic Freddy conversion(2011), though the Spectravideo/MSX is nearly identical hw anyway.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:37 pm

Transformers on the Spectrum was the first game we bought that hadn't come with the 48k bundle*. Bought it from WHSmiths in Liverpool (it's not there anymore). No idea how much it cost I was only 7 or 8 years old, but I'm guessing it would have been between £5 and £10.

It didn't work!

Welcome to the wonderful world of computers. Still haven't played it to this day.

*which for info included Hungry Horace, Horace and the Spiders, Space Raiders, Chequered Flag and Chess.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."