Retro Gamer - Issue 140

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

NorthWay

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 140

Post by NorthWay » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:12 am

's me. Again. About the ST. Again.
That revered 8MHz 68000 of yours? Turns out it can only access memory every 4th clock cycle. Even when it wants access in cycle 2 - so it stretches cycles. Can easily run you 5% slower.
(Something similar happens on the Amiga too, but too a _much_ lesser degree.)

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:16 am

NorthWay wrote:
The Laird wrote:So any arcade game made before the split took place became the I.P. of Atari Corp
See, _that_ I didn't know. Tres cool. Did Atari Games retain no rights to them? Like for Blasteroids?
Did Corp have full rights so as to be able to release versions for any hw?

Were there any conversions planned / that didn't see the light of day?
Atari Games retained source code, cab design and the rights to re-release those games as coin-ops. Atari Corp. were not allowed to make coin-ops while Atari Games were not allowed to make games for home systems under the Atari name. This was soon circumnavigated when they created the Tengen label on the side to do just that.

There are loads of unreleased games for all the Atari machines, a quite ridiculous amount in fact.

Blasteroids was an Atari Games game anyway (released after the split).
Last edited by The Laird on Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:30 am

markopoloman wrote:
crusto wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:The c64 version is clearly crap.
They're both crap, but judging by the screenshots the Speccy version is marginally more crap. Was there a CPC version? If so I bet it was crap too.
Well, the speccy version is really brightly coloured - so I imagine you'd need a welding visor to look at an Amstrad version! :lol:
The Amstrad version is fairly lovely to be honest, if anything it's a bit muted compared to the Speccy version. It's still one of my favourite games of all time. I remember when Stuart Campbell (formerly of this parish) did an article on his website where he went round Bath trying to find the roads depicted in the game. Such a simple concept made special by the addition of humour and attention to detail.

fozmcfc

Post by fozmcfc » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:52 am

Enjoyable as ever and largely agree with the From Bedrooms to Billions review.

t0nedude

Post by t0nedude » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:53 pm

deKay wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I'm not being defensive. You''re accussing us of rigging a vote because you feel that two games which are seperate games should be included as one. You can polish up your words as much as you like, but you're essentially saying we cheated and that's offensive. I'm pretty sure they were both in the amiga thread and no one had an issue then. It's the readers vote and we create it exactly as it is. And yes, if two nhl games were voted they would be included.
Actually, I'd class Sensible Soccer and SWOS as two separate games. SWOS included the management mode which made the game more than just a yearly improvement. Half my play with SWOS was in that mode.

Oh, and I wasn't being entirely serious with my suggestion the votes were rigged :)
I know you weren't being entirely serious, and neither was I. My quoting you was construed in the same vein as your post, but was blown out of proportion, but enough of that. :)