Retro Gamer - Issue 140

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

craigy132

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 140

Post by craigy132 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:58 pm

Enjoyed the kung fu master article although the speccy version of is described as 'one of the best, if not the best conversion' :?

crusto

Post by crusto » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:46 pm

craigy132 wrote:Enjoyed the kung fu master article although the speccy version of is described as 'one of the best, if not the best conversion' :?
Yeah, even the NES version was a pale imitation of the arcade game. Imo there wasn't a good conversion on any 8 bit system. I played the CPC, Speccy, C64 and NES versions - all pants with the NES being the pick of a poor bunch.

Eat your nans pants

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:05 am

craigy132 wrote:Enjoyed the kung fu master article although the speccy version of is described as 'one of the best, if not the best conversion' :?
Unfortunately gremlins got in the works and if you notice that's the nes text duplicated.
I'm well aware the spectrum port is terrible.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:58 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:And yes, if two nhl games were voted they would be included.
For what it's worth, both EA Hockey and its direct update NHLPA Hockey 93 actually made the top 25 that featured in the issue…

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:03 pm

SWOS and SS are different games, literally, no argument. IMO.

Really good issue btw. I'd love to see more sports game coverage, they're my fave type of game.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

t0nedude

Post by t0nedude » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:38 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I'm not being defensive. You''re accussing us of rigging a vote because you feel that two games which are seperate games should be included as one. You can polish up your words as much as you like, but you're essentially saying we cheated and that's offensive. I'm pretty sure they were both in the amiga thread and no one had an issue then. It's the readers vote and we create it exactly as it is. And yes, if two nhl games were voted they would be included.
No. You're accusing me of saying you cheated and/or rigged the vote to place SB2 at number 1. I'm not, my opinion is that positions 2 and 3 are essentially the same games and that a slot was wasted, your opinion based on the reader votes is that they should be treated differently. You're the Editor and I'm not, so you get to say what's what and that's what happened.

Your opinion was in agreement with the readers, mine wasn't, end of story, let's move on shall we?

Tony.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:52 am

Your tone suggested otherwise.
Anyway you're right, it's time to move on.

crusto

Post by crusto » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:14 pm

I'm surprised feud didn't win

Eat your nans pants

RichL

Post by RichL » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:55 am

I don't know why you've done both Lemmings and Speedball 2 again when you've extensively covered those previously (and even re-hashed both in the Amiga book you've not long released too)

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:23 pm

RichL wrote:I don't know why you've done both Lemmings and Speedball 2 again when you've extensively covered those previously (and even re-hashed both in the Amiga book you've not long released too)
3 articles in 10 years for stupidly popular games is perfectly reasonable if you ask me.

There have been two speedball 2 articles. The first was nearly 10 years ago. Many mags revisit popular games and not all our readers read our bookazines.
It's highly unlikely we'll be revisiting either for a very long time now though.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:53 am

RichL wrote:I don't know why you've done both Lemmings and Speedball 2 again when you've extensively covered those previously (and even re-hashed both in the Amiga book you've not long released too)
I didn't (and won't) buy the Amiga bookazine. Not my cup of tea but I enjoyed those articles.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:51 am

sensible soccer on consoles are renamed versions of sensible soccer 92/93

by the time swos was released with bug fixes it was may 1995

2-3 years difference, seperate games, darran is right.

Imhotep

Post by Imhotep » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:56 am

A lot of stuff of interest this month, especially Lemmings, played it to death on my Acorn Archimedes (and Oh No and Lemmings2) I really wanted the Christmas lemmings to come to the Acorn but they never did, I used to have a massive cardboard cut-out Lemming which I got from Softspot Computers in Oxford and had to carry the thing home on the bus - got a few looks ! - There was no BBC Micro version of Lemmings but a game called Weenies which Cronosoft released about 10 years ago(ish) was very similar and there was a very good Archimedes game called Pesky Muskrats in which instead of saving the creatures you had to kill them all and stop them multiplying all the time !

Speedball 2 was always a favourite too, Krisalis did a great job converting it to the Acorn, can see why there was so much fuss about it. The Trashman article looks interesting too , played it many times on a friends Spectrum.

But for me the main interest (although only 2 pages) is Boulderdash on the BBC, I was very excited when I discovered Tynesoft were converting it as I'd seen and heard so much about it from Spectrum owning friends, so couldn't wait for it to arrive, and when it did I wasn't disapointed, yes the colours were a bit bright to say the least , but it never bothered me as the game was so good.

The comparisons made between Repton and Boulderdash are always interesting because i've never even thought of them as similar, apart from falling rocks and collecting diamonds there is very little else similar really, to me Boulderdash is an arcade game where as Repton is strategic game where you have to study the map and find the correct route, move things in certain order to make other things happen, plus collect keys to open safes, kill monsters, use transporters and so on. Both great games but both so different, sadly Tynesoft didn't release any more Boulderdash games, I really wanted the Boulderdash Construction Kit, but Superior kept up with new Repton games, even now they are still releasing new levels on iRepton, well worth checking out if you ever liked Repton.

deKay

Post by deKay » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:16 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I'm not being defensive. You''re accussing us of rigging a vote because you feel that two games which are seperate games should be included as one. You can polish up your words as much as you like, but you're essentially saying we cheated and that's offensive. I'm pretty sure they were both in the amiga thread and no one had an issue then. It's the readers vote and we create it exactly as it is. And yes, if two nhl games were voted they would be included.
Actually, I'd class Sensible Soccer and SWOS as two separate games. SWOS included the management mode which made the game more than just a yearly improvement. Half my play with SWOS was in that mode.

Oh, and I wasn't being entirely serious with my suggestion the votes were rigged :)

stvd

Post by stvd » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:30 pm

Not much for me this month.
However,I started reading the ST article up until it mentioned Aphex Twin releasing "their" first album in 12 years.
This is on par with saying Elton John have released their new album.

:roll: