Retro Gamer - Issue 140

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

deKay

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 140

Post by deKay » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:55 pm

And how much did you pay these readers to vote for Speedball 2 over SWOS? ;)

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:16 pm

Fantastic issue! Last months was not my cup of tea - but this month, well it's my cup of coffee.

LOVE Lemmings and it is a great article. Must look out for the C64 version. Actually, I'm going to get the Amiga out on Thursday and get everyone in the house to play Lemmings :D

Read the ST article - I always remember wanting Oids to come out on the Amiga and to this day as the only ST game that I still want to play! Guess it'll be on emulation as the ST really isn't on my must, may or will ever buy list! Nice article though.

Actually, I've nearly finished the mag already as I had to spend an afternoon at double piano lessons for 2 of the kids :roll:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:45 am

"Oids" got an Amiga port over last year Marko by member of EAB "English Amiga Boards" as an ADF "Amiga Disk Format" which can be loaded onto an actual floppy to play on real hardware, so you can have your cake and eat it, for more info, goto EAB's site.

Looking forward to this issue , looks to have some good content maybe?

Will get it this week, and love the Lemmings COVER! very original.
↓↓Click Link to See More
http://www.greyfoxbooks.com

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:40 am

I wasn't expecting this to arrive yesterday!

I've still not finished last months issue to be honest but I love the cover this month! It instantly raised a smile on me after a pretty crappy day :)

General Opulence

Post by General Opulence » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:05 am

Best Issue for months for me! Speedball 2, Lemmings, Atari ST, Jetstrike, Kung Fu Master, even more old school stuff this month good job guys!

merman

Post by merman » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:54 pm

Greyfox wrote:"Oids" got an Amiga port over last year Marko by member of EAB "English Amiga Boards" as an ADF "Amiga Disk Format" which can be loaded onto an actual floppy to play on real hardware, so you can have your cake and eat it, for more info, goto EAB's site.

Looking forward to this issue , looks to have some good content maybe?

Will get it this week, and love the Lemmings COVER! very original.
Super Sprint and Solomon's Key have been ported to the Amiga as well. Not to detract from the ST legacy article which I enjoyed.

I also liked the Deus Ex and SSI articles a lot, and the excellent design of the Lemmings piece.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

PAC

Post by PAC » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:49 pm

Way too much happening to hit this one yet.. but opened the bag and looking over the cover.. huge amounts to love !

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:37 pm

I enjoyed the SSI article, I regularly check GOG in hope that they will get their hands on the Gold Box games.

I was actually a little disappointed with the ST piece.
I found it interesting but I would have preferred it if it had just purely concentrated on the ST.
Instead it felt like a game of One-Upmanship with the Amiga.
I know they were big rivals so get that out of the way early and then forget about the Amiga for the rest of the article.

t0nedude

Post by t0nedude » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:06 pm

deKay wrote:And how much did you pay these readers to vote for Speedball 2 over SWOS? ;)
Well if you consider the number 2 and 3 spot was SWOS and Sensible Soccer respectively (pointless having 2 separate entries for what is essentially the same game but enhanced, a bit of discretion exercised surely?) and combine the votes it would probably be number 1, and would have ruined the article proclaiming Speedball 2 as the number 1 in the list. So I feel the number 1 spot was a little contrived to fit the Speedball 2 article. Whatever though Speedball 2 is indeed a great game, great memories of it.

My £0.02. Although fwiw I wouldn't have voted for SWOS anyway. I couldn't say what was my favourite sports game, I've played too many.

The rest of the mag looks great,

Tony.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:06 pm

Greyfox wrote:"Oids" got an Amiga port over last year Marko by member of EAB "English Amiga Boards" as an ADF "Amiga Disk Format" which can be loaded onto an actual floppy to play on real hardware, so you can have your cake and eat it, for more info, goto EAB's site.
Excellent! Will go hunt it down and give it a go as Thrust/Gravitar/Zarathruster are 3 of my favourite games :D
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:19 pm

t0nedude wrote:
deKay wrote:And how much did you pay these readers to vote for Speedball 2 over SWOS? ;)
Well if you consider the number 2 and 3 spot was SWOS and Sensible Soccer respectively (pointless having 2 separate entries for what is essentially the same game but enhanced, a bit of discretion exercised surely?) and combine the votes it would probably be number 1, and would have ruined the article proclaiming Speedball 2 as the number 1 in the list. So I feel the number 1 spot was a little contrived to fit the Speedball 2 article. Whatever though Speedball 2 is indeed a great game, great memories of it.

My £0.02. Although fwiw I wouldn't have voted for SWOS anyway. I couldn't say what was my favourite sports game, I've played too many.

Tony.
We actually had a making of speedball 2 in place before we even considered the top 25 (it was added after another feature was dropped). When the votes showed it was number 1 it made sense to combine the articles. I find it rather insulting that you're implying we conveniently fixed the vote.

I will say though the we are combining votes for ninja gaiden black and fable lost chapters as they are the same games with added bits. Sensi and swos are considered seperate games,regardless of the similarities.

t0nedude

Post by t0nedude » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:28 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
t0nedude wrote:

Tony.
We actually had a making of speedball 2 in place before we even considered the top 25 (it was added after another feature was dropped). When the votes showed it was number 1 it made sense to combine the articles. I find it rather insulting that you're implying we conveniently fixed the vote.

I will say though the we are combining votes for ninja gaiden black and fable lost chapters as they are the same games with added bits. Sensi and swos are considered seperate games,regardless of the similarities.
See, now you're putting words in my mouth. I understand the votes as they were given and don't dispute that, but what I AM saying is that if you combine positions 2 + 3 into one position as they logically should be, I'm sure they would oust SB2 as the number 1 game. Similarities? DOOM 2 and Duke Nukem have similarities because they're FPS's, but in this case SWOS and Sensi are almost carbon copies with extra management bits, essentially a 'Special Edition' of the game. I fail to see how they can be considered different enough to warrant wasting 2 high level slots. FWIW I personally consider SB2 superior to SWOS...but whatever. Put it another way, would you consider the following games as being different - NHL 94 - 98 inclusive for the SNES? Each added different elements and tweakings.

Like I said the rest of the issue looks good, stop being so defensive Darren, I know it's your baby, stop clucking :)

My £0.02.

Tony.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:35 am

I'm not being defensive. You''re accussing us of rigging a vote because you feel that two games which are seperate games should be included as one. You can polish up your words as much as you like, but you're essentially saying we cheated and that's offensive. I'm pretty sure they were both in the amiga thread and no one had an issue then. It's the readers vote and we create it exactly as it is. And yes, if two nhl games were voted they would be included.

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:49 am

Not so much content that interests me personally this month, but still a good mag nethertheless. Fav bits were the sports top 25 and in depth article on Speedball 2. This issue arrived damaged as well though, does my head in that its always the same place on the spine that seems to be torn.

Had no ideas the PS1 version of Lemmings was missing levels.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:04 pm

bensonrad wrote:Not so much content that interests me personally this month, but still a good mag nethertheless. Fav bits were the sports top 25 and in depth article on Speedball 2. This issue arrived damaged as well though, does my head in that its always the same place on the spine that seems to be torn.

Had no ideas the PS1 version of Lemmings was missing levels.
Subs should be able to sort you out with a replacement.