Official feedback for issue 37

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:09 am

If you think you can write The Definitive Wonderboy any shorter than that, be my guest...
I guessed I'd get some flak for saying that... I've never played Wonderboy so it has less interest to me, and was the only thing I could think of that I'd be willing to sacrifice for the space (no offence to the writer of the article by the way!)

EnglishRob

Post by EnglishRob » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:46 pm

The mag is looking good.

I forgot about the Final Fight feature and got really excited when I saw it. I haven't read through the whole lot yet but what I have read is good.

I like the article on JSW Online. I never was really a JSW/Manic Miner fan (I didn't have them for my CPC) but I like the idea of online remakes such as this.

The Dragon 32 article was good. It's one of those machines that I didn't see when they came out, I only read about them when looking back at old magazines.

With regards to the Newbrain, a friend of mine had one a few years back which he got second hand from a junk shop. Cost him about £17 I think. Still, wasn't much use. Reminded me a little bit of the ZX81 from what I can remember.

I'm looking forward to the next 2 months with the SNK features. I'm sure it will/has been worth the wait. Any chance on a look at the Neo Geo (I suppose will be covered a bit in the SNK feature?).

Oooh, nearly forgot, Archer's column was interesting. If only I had the space and money to get a couple of cabinets (oh, and an understanding other half!)

Rob
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? - Guybrush Threepwood

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:35 pm

Can't find one of my own pics, but here's the best I could come up with from Eurocon 2001 to show how that Warlords cab should look like!

http://www.gamereset.de/eurocon2001/dscn0266.jpg
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:34 pm

Have you seen page 83 of this issue? I'm expecting a flood of complaints.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:35 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Have you seen page 83 of this issue? I'm expecting a flood of complaints.
how on earth did they let that slip through!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:07 pm

neuromancer wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:Have you seen page 83 of this issue? I'm expecting a flood of complaints.
how on earth did they let that slip through!
I'm guessing they used common sense. I'm just assuming that some of our readers fragile minds will be offended given its far more graphic than the ads that cause so much consternation.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:06 pm

I guess the girls are kinda stuck on the dragons much like a slug gets stuck on a wall :shock: :lol: :lol:

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:33 am

Ah but you see that's artistic as opposed to gratuitous ;)

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:26 am

My letters in the post :wink:
Splink!

merman

Post by merman » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:47 am

Well, I've finished reading the issue, and it's another well designed, well written effort. Loved the touches of humour, particularly the JSW Online article, and the Virtua Fighter piece was interesting too.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

rupert

Post by rupert » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:38 pm

I'm new here and this is my first post. ive been buying retro gamer since issue 19 and now never miss an issue :)

anyway, back on topic, I thought this issue was great (especially 'The Definitive Wonder Boy'). but one dissapointment and the reason i've joined the forum today is the top 25 platformers :( allthough a great read I felt that the top end was abit Mario heavy (my own fault I know for not coming here and voting :roll: ) I would have liked to have seen Alex Kidd in Miracle World on that list which IMO is a good match for Mario any day, much more fun actually :wink: Also think Wonder Boy 3 should have got a look in. Anywy hopfully i'll be around for the next 'poll' to have my say

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:56 am

rupert wrote:I'm new here and this is my first post. ive been buying retro gamer since issue 19 and now never miss an issue :)

anyway, back on topic, I thought this issue was great (especially 'The Definitive Wonder Boy'). but one dissapointment and the reason i've joined the forum today is the top 25 platformers :( allthough a great read I felt that the top end was abit Mario heavy (my own fault I know for not coming here and voting :roll: ) I would have liked to have seen Alex Kidd in Miracle World on that list which IMO is a good match for Mario any day, much more fun actually :wink: Also think Wonder Boy 3 should have got a look in. Anywy hopfully i'll be around for the next 'poll' to have my say
Yeah, we've had a few complaints about the placing's of certain games and the inclusion (and exclusion) of others. But ultimately, you all voted for them ;)

Still, welcome to the forum Rupert and it's good to have you around.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:28 am

Yeah , I'm VERY suprised Wonderboy didn't make the final 25 ,and also that GnG is a platform game??!!

Like Darran said , though - we voted for 'em
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:30 am

Wonder Boy - and Christ, I should know - is actually pretty rubbish.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:31 am

Won't disagree with you there!