From The Forum Issue 140

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

russty_russ

Re: From The Forum Issue 140

Post by russty_russ » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:53 pm

Two words

Let's Go! :D

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:26 pm

I hated it to start with, it was so difficult, but over time I grew to love its simple addictive gameplay!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

deKay

Post by deKay » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:02 pm

I first came across Lemmings on the Lindis (Lindus?) Bus. A double decker bus kitted out with Acorn and BBC computers that travelled round schools and computer shows, showing the educational merits of said machines. It appeared at Heartsease High School (now one of the very first of those infernal academies) in Norwich one summer holiday, and Lemmings was running on one of the Acorn A3000s they had upstairs.

I was transfixed. Not only was it the first time I'd used a mouse to play a game (well, unless you count the horrific not-really-a-mouse thing that I used to use with the Pendown wordprocessor ROM on the BBC at primary school several years previous), but it was probably the first 16-bit game I played too, having only a Spectrum at the time and my Megadrive was still a Christmas or two away.

Everything about it was a new experience. A GUI, multiple characters under realtime control, some seemingly real actual music (which you'd really actually recognise) that wasn't just beeps and bloops, and sadistic humour. It never, ever got old double-clicking the nuke icon. To a teenage boy, it had everything. Except boobs.

How I yearned for an Acorn from that day on. Thankfully, somehow, a friend managed to get hold of a copy of a Lemmings demo when I started high school following that summer. So many lunchtimes in the business studies room (where all the computers were) playing copied versions of that demo disk. Soon, Your Sinclair would have a demo of the Speccy version on a cover tape, and I could finally play it at home. Yes, it was in monochrome, and yes, there was no mouse, but it didn't matter - it was still Lemmings.

Then the Megadrive Christmas happened. Lemmings went out of my mind for a few years, until I bought World of Illusion for my Megadrive. £45. What a waste of money that was. A pretty game ruined by the fact it was so easy. I brought it home, completed it (as Mickey) on my first go in one short sitting. Then completed it as Donald on my second go. Then a friend came round and we completed it in co-op. Then I completed it in co-op by myself using both pads at the same time. That's it. £45 on about 4 hours of game. That was about two months pocket money. I was livid.

Took it back to the shop the very same day and swapped it for a US import of Lemmings. The only game they'd swap it directly for, without additional payment, that I either didn't already have or was rubbish. I had no idea it even existed for the Megadrive. This exact one, in fact, as I still have it:

And it was one of the best games on the system. Long after I'd exhausted all the levels (including the completely nonsensical Sunsoft extra levels), I was still playing it in two player mode. It still remains my favourite competitive two player game to this day.

Other Lemmings games came and went. Lemmings 2, 3D Lemmings, that Lemmings-on-a-Nebulus-Tower game, but none were as good as the original, and especially the Megadrive port.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:53 am

Three games define the amiga for me superfrog, worms and lemmings I have played lemming on the megadrive ps1 psp and ps3 as well as lemmings 3d on pc but the amiga version was the best
This guy are sick

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:23 pm

It was also a good PC game, which were relativity rare at the time.

I first played it on the PC.
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

Imhotep

Post by Imhotep » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:14 pm

I had Lemmings, More Lemmings and Lemmings 2 on my Acorn Archimedes, it was such a brilliant game, the intro sequence for Lemmings 2 was superb and you didn't get that sort of intro on Acorn games that often, shame they missed the intro out of the first game, but never mind. I played 3D lemmings on a PC and thought it just didn't work.

A fantastic game, very addictive and frustrating, some great tunes, talking of which anyone remember the Lemmings single by SFX ?

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:04 am

Imhotep wrote:I had Lemmings, More Lemmings and Lemmings 2 on my Acorn Archimedes, it was such a brilliant game, the intro sequence for Lemmings 2 was superb and you didn't get that sort of intro on Acorn games that often, shame they missed the intro out of the first game, but never mind. I played 3D lemmings on a PC and thought it just didn't work.

A fantastic game, very addictive and frustrating, some great tunes, talking of which anyone remember the Lemmings single by SFX ?
Lemmings 3d was at a ttkme when 3d was the thing to do but early 3d game whilst funtional looked strange even up to xbox and ps2 3d gfx where in their infancy but some games i.E worms and lemming are 2d games through and struggle to seem as fluid in 3d
This guy are sick

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:09 pm

stayAwhile wrote:
Lemmings 3d was at a ttkme when 3d was the thing to do but early 3d game whilst funtional looked strange even up to xbox and ps2 3d gfx where in their infancy but some games i.E worms and lemming are 2d games through and struggle to seem as fluid in 3d
Couldn't have put it better myself :)
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Sat May 02, 2015 10:29 pm

Blocker>all the rest of the Lemmings<Blocker

NUKE

I am 5.
Going Solo...................

merman

Post by merman » Sun May 03, 2015 4:04 pm

The Hardest of All Freds wrote:Blocker>all the rest of the Lemmings<Blocker

NUKE