From The Forum Issue 140

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

TheDude18

Re: From The Forum Issue 140

Post by TheDude18 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:14 pm

I first played this on the PC - Loved the puzzle aspect and originality of it at first, but I found the difficulty level to be demanding at times to say the least. Still impressed that a conversion managed to appear on the humble C64 at the time. An impressive conversion too from what I can remember!

merman

Post by merman » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:35 pm

The C64 conversion was very impressive, especially the music. The team even recreated the intro and ending perfectly. One feature of the Amiga original that should not be overlooked is the 2-player mode. It stands as one of the great puzzle games of all time, with a sense of humour and the freedom to experiment.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:01 pm

I liked that it was the only game my mum has ever shown an interest in playing, but she gave up after a while as she felt bad for accidentally killing them when she messed up a level. I tried to explain they're not real but she wasn't having it.

Also the music- I've bought various Lemmings remakes on various formats, but none of them sound as good as the sample based Amiga version. Just thinking aout it now has it stuck in my head.

joefish

Post by joefish » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:37 pm

Gibberish Driftwood wrote:I like how they included levels based on other Psygnosis games, like Shadow of the Beast and Menace.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSSxAQg2HDs
There's a brilliant hidden cave in 'World 3_3' of Leander (off to the right at the top of the stairs, between the two railway contraptions) that looks just like a level from Lemmings. You have to break down a rock to let the lemmings through to escape; you can only get out again once they're all safe.

Oblisky

Post by Oblisky » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:49 pm

I got it as a freebie when I took out a sub to Your Sinclair back in the day. I did enjoy Lemmings 2 on the Mega Drive, the variety of Lemmings made it more enjoyable than just the same ten or so in the first game. It was more enjoyable nuking them though, especially if you had them packed into a tight space. Boom!

Gibberish Driftwood

Post by Gibberish Driftwood » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:54 am

joefish wrote:There's a brilliant hidden cave in 'World 3_3' of Leander (off to the right at the top of the stairs, between the two railway contraptions) that looks just like a level from Lemmings. You have to break down a rock to let the lemmings through to escape; you can only get out again once they're all safe.
Cool. I wish I had discovered that part when I played Leander in the 90s.
Ken sent me.
Do the Kirby dance: (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')>

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:39 pm

Playing it on the SNES in competitive mode, could turn best friends and family into mortal enemies in no time!

Have ended up with at least twelve versions of it through the years, loved them all, but could never get the hang of the sequel.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:34 pm

Oblisky wrote:I did enjoy Lemmings 2 on the Mega Drive, the variety of Lemmings made it more enjoyable than just the same ten or so in the first game.
I had Lemmings 2 for the ST, but I just don't have the same love for it and haven't gone back to it much. I found the extra Lemming abilities to dilute the experience, they just weren't as well thought out as the originals and felt a bit gimmicky.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

joefish

Post by joefish » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:06 pm

joefish wrote:There's a brilliant hidden cave in 'World 3_3' of Leander (off to the right at the top of the stairs, between the two railway contraptions) that looks just like a level from Lemmings. You have to break down a rock to let the lemmings through to escape; you can only get out again once they're all safe.
Gibberish Driftwood wrote:Cool. I wish I had discovered that part when I played Leander in the 90s.
I found a YouTube long-play walkthrough of someone playing the Amiga version, and they miss it too. The intro to that level mentions a 'CAVE WHERE THANATOS KEEPS HIS PRISONERS', and there's (what I think is) a fairly obvious platform to jump onto to go right instead of left, at the top of the flaming stairs between the rail cars. But unlike most levels, you don't actually have to do this 'indoor' segment of the level to complete it; you just have to make your way along a fairly linear route to the exit arch. The 'key' object is just somewhere along the way.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:22 pm

Lemmings is probably close to being the perfect game. It looks good, sounds good, plays good and everyone that played it said it was good! (except Crusto :lol: )

Actually, I'm off to my retro den to retrieve my Amiga and I'm going to get the kids off minecraft and do some retro digging!
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

stvd

Post by stvd » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:13 pm

Played it in '92 on a PC at work.
Looked good (nice animation etc.) but never really grabbed my attention. Then or since.
We also had PGA tour golf on the PC's at the time so Lemmings never really got a look in.

Gordon Bennett

Post by Gordon Bennett » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:16 pm

It was the only proper mascot for the Amiga. Consoles had Mario and Sonic; we had a red and white chequered ball until Lemmings came along. After that there were Lemmings mouse pointers, Lemmings animations, Lemmings of all sorts to have and enjoy on your Amiga. I must admit to being a bit disappointed to see the game ported to every other platform. It wasn't just ours any more.

Ryan_McN

Post by Ryan_McN » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:55 pm

The music! And completing later levels thinking "there must have been an easier method than this!"

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:18 pm

Loved the game on the Amiga, it was probably the first game I ever played using a mouse.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:08 pm

Could be quite an emotional game, I hated the fact that there often wasn't a way to get ALL the Lemmings through the level. Felt like you were making a Lemming sacrifice choosing which ones to leave behind!! :(
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.