Retro Gamer - Issue 138

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

NorthWay

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 138

Post by NorthWay » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:53 am

I agree on the paper quality - it is as if it has been in a high moisture area and soaked in and then dried up so it crumbles and isn't straight.
Loved the writeup on Sirius. The two games that I always associated with them is Bandits and Squish'em (an unlicenced port of wossname arcade game).
How is that front page working for you? It seems a bit too anonymous, and I didn't notice the clever bits until having stared at it many times over.

(Btw, was there an article on unlicenced ports in an earlier issue? There is room for many more of them...)

Whatzername

Post by Whatzername » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:47 am

Got mine yesterday. Looks like a really good issue! :)

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:10 pm

just getting stuck in, finished reading the Sirius piece, thanks so much guys for doing that, Nasir Gebelli was such a genius programmer, the Apple II games at the time were kind of same-y with the sound and graphic effects they used in the very early days but you'd play games by this Nasir guy and be blown away at what he could make the Apple do, just incredible stuff. Super surprising to hear he went it alone and made some games that were unsuccessful, that in itself to me is mindblowing.

Looking forward to reading the Point and Click piece, lots of terrific stuff for me in this issue!

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:21 pm

ncf1 wrote:just getting stuck in, finished reading the Sirius piece, thanks so much guys for doing that, Nasir Gebelli was such a genius programmer, the Apple II games at the time were kind of same-y with the sound and graphic effects they used in the very early days but you'd play games by this Nasir guy and be blown away at what he could make the Apple do, just incredible stuff. Super surprising to hear he went it alone and made some games that were unsuccessful, that in itself to me is mindblowing.
I first became aware of them after picking up a couple of their Atari 8-bit games on cartridge, it turned out I already had a load of their 2600 games just didn't know it. I was surprised at the quality of the games given when they were released so started doing some research on them, the more I discovered about them the more fascinating the story became so I am really pleased to get it out there. I think the thing that surprised me the most was just how many famous programmers started there, I can't think of another software house that produced that many genuine superstars in such a short period of time.

I was also quite emotional hearing Jerry Jewell tell his story, poor guy went through so much and came through it all. It felt quite overwhelming to be the one to help heel all of those old wounds.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:01 pm

Brilliant stuff Lairdy, undoubtedly for some of these guys who have kept things bottled up for so long it would be a release that perhaps they very well need.

I know some of the old programmers just don't want to talk about the past, but if it was me... I'd just go to town, get all of it out, give myself a good ol' free psychology session.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:28 pm

Yeah, the Sirius piece was quite interesting, as there's quite a few games on the Vic20, and a couple of them are actually quite good. You think Capture The Flag is impressive on the Atari? How they got it running on the Vic I am not quite sure...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:32 pm

A couple of small things bothered me about the point and click article.

First, as a Sierra fan, I found the article had a serious Lucasarts bias. Yes, I know the Lucasarts games are the better examples of the genre (that's made painfully clear if you play Sierra's back catalogue today), but it would have been nice if they had got a bit more coverage. I mean, Roger Wilco's right there on the cover, but the Space Quest games are only referenced once in the Al Lowe quote. Also, I'm surprised their later FMV games never got a mention.

Second, is Grim Fandando a point and click adventure? I only played the demo, but I'm pretty sure I don't remember it having the traditional SCUMM interface or a mouse cursor even...

But these are nitpicks - I really enjoyed the article. Devoured it in one sitting (which I almost never do).

Gibberish Driftwood

Post by Gibberish Driftwood » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:27 am

The article was about point and click games, which is probably why the parser based Sierra titles didn't get mentioned as much.
Ken sent me.
Do the Kirby dance: (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')>

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:48 pm

Who ever chose the background for the Commando article needs a slap,

Glad tablets have a just text mode

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:25 am

Wow, can't believe the Game Gear article didn't mention the horrible screen blur even once. I can't imagine playing that shooter on the actual hardware must have been much fun.

As the owner of a dearly departed Game Gear, I'm glad the article mentioned the leaky caps issue. That put a real dent in my enthusiasm for the console. :(

[edit]

Also, what was with all the digs at the Gameboy? I guess most of it was quoting a developer, but it came across as serious sour grapes. Moaning about Nintendo's "better marketing" as the reason it succeeded. I mean, the article said it itself - the Game Gear failed because it was let down by the technology of the time. Nintendo were smart enough to realise that colour wasn't really an option in 1989 - when you saw the Game Gear on the playground or in stores, you realised it was deeply flawed.

IMO, it didn't even deserve second, the Lynx deserved to beat it. The screen was much better on the Lynx and it was all new. Must have been Sega's superior marketing, eh? :wink:

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:52 am

Quite a good issue overall. The adventure games article is great and the best bit of the mag, but I also found the Sirius Software article very interesting, I actually knew nearly zero about a company that proved to be this influential!

Really good features on the Game Gear, Hired Guns (overlooked gem) and Commando.

The Star Wars games aren't my cup of tea but it was a good read anyway, and the Unconverted is always good.

The rest... meh, but you can't have everything. What about Lost in Translation? Will it be back?

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:21 am

I am FILLED WITH OUTRAGE at the absence of Tempest from the ZX81 top 25. As I read I was wondering which position in the top 3 it would occupy (the only serious competition being 3DMM and Mazogs), but NOWHERE? I am cancelling my imaginary subscription.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:50 am

Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote:I am FILLED WITH OUTRAGE at the absence of Tempest from the ZX81 top 25. As I read I was wondering which position in the top 3 it would occupy (the only serious competition being 3DMM and Mazogs), but NOWHERE? I am cancelling my imaginary subscription.
It's funny you mention this because when the article was being compiled I told Nick to make sure it was in there due to the arcade conversions piece you ran. As it was a reader's vote it wasn't on the list.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:37 pm

I think the cover is one of the worst ever, looks like it was thrown together 5 minutes before going to press, however....

....Just seen the cover on Facebook for issue 139 and even though I'm not a NES fan, it's absolutely fantastic and a thing of minimalist beauty.
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:27 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote: It's funny you mention this because when the article was being compiled I told Nick to make sure it was in there due to the arcade conversions piece you ran. As it was a reader's vote it wasn't on the list.
Man, readers are MORONS.