Retro Gamer - Issue 138

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Laird

Retro Gamer - Issue 138

Post by The Laird » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:51 am

Highlights this issue include:

- Bluffer's Guide: Point & Click Adventures
- From The Archives: Sirius Software
- The Making Of: Agent X
- Retron 5 Review
- Ultimate Guide: Commando
- Sega Game Gear 25 Years On
- The Making Of: Super Bug
- Top 25 ZX81 Games
- Minority Report: Dragon 32
- Classic Moments: Trantor
- In the Chair: Chris Sawyer
- The Making Of: Hired Guns
- The History Of Star Wars: Dark Forces
- A Moment With Alkis Polyrakis

And much much more!

psj3809

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 138

Post by psj3809 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:09 am

Looks a great issue for me, love point n click games, Dark Forces and Commando

Hope it arrives today

Edit - cool just turned up. Commando feature looks great. Dont know much about Sirius Software, looks very interesting. Agent X feature also looks good. Top 25 zx81 games looks interesting, didnt realise it even had 25 games ;)

Currently playing Dark Forces at the moment (via my iphone !), completed all of those back in the day, great games with a lot of content. Hats off to the graphics designer for the 'rogue gallery' page trying to mimic the old skool Star wars bubble gum cards, nice touch

Great issue for me so far

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:46 am

The first thing I've done is see page 8 (The Death of Ridge Racer - Drift Stage) and hop onto the site and download the demo!! Drifting in games really bugs me and the video looked horrible with the cars barely ever going in a straight line...... but it can't be THAT bad, can it? So lets see what the demo is like. (music is great though and the graphical style pretty good too)....

Edit: As a racing game lover - I just don't get drifting :? This game would be great if the cars just drove like cars around bends - I can never get the things to fly around the bends like the rolling demo but instead just slow down and bounce off walls whilst waiting for the car to stop squealing and accelerate again.

Oh well, must learn to avoid racers with 'Drift' in the title! :lol:

Darran - Get the 90's Arcade Racer in the mag... THAT looks amazing.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:02 am

You're clearly doing it wrong mate. The drifting is awesome. It takes a few laps to get the hang of it though. Looking to do some more stuff on 90s racer soon.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:16 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:You're clearly doing it wrong mate. The drifting is awesome. It takes a few laps to get the hang of it though. Looking to do some more stuff on 90s racer soon.
Bah! Will have another go then... Or will turn up on your doorstep and demand a lesson :lol:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:23 am

Happy to teach.

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:17 am

Sounds interesting. The drifting in the PS1 Ridge Racer games was fun, but however it was they were modelling it, it was a fiddle, and it all went a bit wonky when it came to a 180° hairpin. Outrun 2006 Coast-To-Coast and the original Gran Turismo did it better - particularly with the amazing rumble feedback of the latter. Sonic Racing Transformed has almost as cheesy a drift mechanic as Mario Kart, but it has some neat drift challenge races.
markopoloman wrote:Edit: As a racing game lover - I just don't get drifting :? This game would be great if the cars just drove like cars around bends - I can never get the things to fly around the bends like the rolling demo but instead just slow down and bounce off walls whilst waiting for the car to stop squealing and accelerate again.
No gravel car parks around your way when you were learning to drive then? :shock: :lol:

merman

Post by merman » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:31 am

Really enjoyed Ian's piece on Dark Forces and James Churchill's interesting insights into Hired Guns.

The point & click featured covered a lot of ground really well and looked good on the page, which is true of the clever cover too.

With Commando, I should point you all in the direction of Commando Arcade - an amazing remake/mod of the good C64 conversion that makes it even better. Eight levels, flickering sprites fixed and much more.
After a long time in development, Nostalgia presents our improved version of Commando. This version has so many improvements that we decided not to call it a crack. Much of the code is newly written, a lot of old code was bug fixed, and a lot was added to the game to make it the ultimate home computer version.

List of major improvements:

* 5 new levels added. Game now has a total of 8 levels, just like the arcade original. Therefore the game is now a multiload.
* Level 3 is a completely new level with barracks.
* Levels 2 and 8 have new hangar and new turret graphics.
* Level 4 is what Level 3 was in the original C64 version.
* Level 5 has a new feature - swamps,which replace ponds from the arcade original. Also there are soldiers that shoot at you from behind a log.
* Level 6 is similar to level 2 as in the original game.
* Level 7 has new style barracks with soldiers coming out of them.
* Level 8 has a fully visible watchtower with hangars and a few other features.
* Completely new demo-grade sprite multiplexer allows almost completely flicker-free sprites on screen.
* Completely new scroller code enables more raster time for other parts and enables a full 60 fps game at all times.
* Added the arcade's helicopter that drops Super Joe onto the battlefield and picks him up after the mission is over.
* Level transaction screens now have new animations converted from the arcade version.
* Scores have 2 more digits to prevent them from overflowing and wrap around at 999999 points.
* Long Fire button press will fire a grenade (if option is enabled).
* 8th place on the high score table can be entered now.
* Lives are properly printed now - if you manage to have more than 10.
* Grenade counter stops at 99 now - it used to wrap around to 0 before.
* Turrets on levels 2 and 6 used to crash the c64 before. Now you can grenade them at will.
* Attract mode now shows 4 screens from the last played level. It also shows the highscores and N0S credits.
* Game over sequence added with enemies running around shooting.
* Soldiers now throw bombs at you regardless of your position. Makes the game a bit more challenging.
* Enemies go behind the black status bar now - used to disappear sporadically there.
* Added a left-to-right driving motorcycle to some of the levels.
* Scoring works more like the arcade, so similar scores can be achieved.
* New Sound Modes are added with many new tunes (some levels have different tunes) and even more sound effects.
* Loading screen and loading tune was added to the game.
* You can pause the game by pressing the RUN/STOP key. While in pause you can quit the game by pressing Q.
* High Scores are saved to disk and cartridge now.
* IFFL version of the game supports REU memory (256kb required).
* File Loader version of the game can be loaded using any device.
* Easy Flash version of game supports Backup/Restore of High Scores to disk. Those high scores are compatible with File Loader version.
* Game is compatible with both PAL and NTSC systems.
* Game supports 2 options which can be selected at the start.
* Game has 5 trainers for practice play.

Sound Modes are:

* C64 Music + SFX
This is the original game sound mode. You'll hear Rob Hubbard's music and sound effects.

* New SFX
This will enable the New Sound Effects Engine. You'll hear main sfx and enemy sfx in this mode. No music will be played in the background.

* New Music + SFX
In this mode you'll hear new music created by 6R6 and main sound effects.

* C64 Music
This will play original C64 music only. No sfx will be heard during the game.

Press RUN/STOP to pause the game and Q to quit the game while paused.
http://csdb.dk/release/?id=130973&show=summary#summary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydkxMSsHRsk
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:50 am

There is also a very good Atari XE version that I didn't see mentioned in the article sadly (probably because it didn't get an official release until more recent times when the complete prototype was discovered):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKUfnIVtvn0

Programmed by Sculptured Software, it is quite similar to their 7800 version, just lacks the same level of colour:

Last edited by The Laird on Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:16 pm

Theres also a 'modded' Speccy version, a 128k version of Commando where they've added the music to the game so it plays throughout.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:09 pm

Commando Arcade for the C64 (which I figured was probably out too late to be included/covered) is also going through a v2.0 process to tart up all the graphics as well to make them better in general. Same team are also working on improving the Ghosts 'n Goblins conversion as well...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:55 pm

Enjoying the issue so far, having just passed the Commando article.
I find it strange that you say the C16/ Plus4 version is not a bad game though. It's pretty crap in my opinion.

I've taken three things from the mag to go check up on - The Death Of Ridge Racer demo, The Lemmings book (which I will look for on Amazon) and that there is an active Kick Off 2 scene.
I bloody love that game!
So thanks for that.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:31 pm

Really enjoyed the Retron 5 article.

Similar to what I kave been saying. Its not perfect but its a great fun little machine that makes the games look fantastic on a HD TV,

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:56 pm

More Kick Off 2 reparations after THAT article! :wink:

Thought it was a bit of a messy front cover, but the back one more than makes up for it! Interesting issue , looking forward to getting really stuck in.

And going back to the original Commando ports; C64 the best? really? The Speccy version may not have looked or sounded as good , but the gameplay was way better.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:01 pm

Damn, still can't master multi-quotes on this forum, even after all this time....

Thelaird: Thanks for pointing out mate, but as there were so many home conversions of Commando I didn't include an unreleased version (as you mention)
Merman/PSJ: see above, except homebrew 8)

PostieDoc: I must admit to have never player the C16 version before this article. But as a big fan of Who Dares Wins 2, I found its change of gameplay quite compelling. Different, and not really Commando of course, but certainly a lot more playable than some of the other versions (hello Intellivision commando man trapped in quicksand)
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords