From The Forum issue 139 - Your favourite failure

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

slacey1070

Re: From The Forum issue 139 - Your favourite failure

Post by slacey1070 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:02 am

The Commodore 1570 Disk Drive. Horribly expensive, noisy, unreliable and slow. I got one of these and asked for a Freeze Frame cartridge so I could put my games onto disc. The only problem was, the Freeze Frame didn't work with the 1570, until a patch arrived a month later.

Despite all this, I loved that drive and it changed gaming for me completely and I would never have been without it.

If I recall, its a failure because it didn't sell and the C64 couldn't take advantage of the increased speed and it was more expensive...
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

romeoteknik

Post by romeoteknik » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:33 pm

Most consider the Dreamcast a failure, I don't and is still one of my favorite systems.

ArcadeMYK

Post by ArcadeMYK » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:08 am

For me it's the mighty Panasonic 3DO.
The first 32Bit disc based console released in Australia and also the first disc based video game machine I had ever seen and played, with Super Street Fighter II Turbo looking so clean, fast and arcadey.
Not only that though, it holds a special place in my heart because I bought a beast Top-Loader in about 2001 from, of all places, a Monastery which was hosting a community garage/car-boot sale. I totally regret selling it 8 years later with 2 controllers and a whole bag of boxed games for less than a 100th of what that set would be worth now. Those few years with the machine though gave me many many hours of fun playing that excellent port of Road Rash and Need For Speed, even a good few solid weeks hammering away at Johnny Bazookatone (yet another highly underrated 2D platformer from the "wow look at my polygons" era)
Coming with some killer conversions and a controller with a 3.5mm jack and volume control, it was clearly ahead of its time.
Had the Playstation never emerged in '94/'95, who knows, the 3DO could have become the main competitor to give the Saturn & 64 a run for their money.
From Game&Watch to PS2 and Arcade in between, its been so much fun every single step of the way.

VideoGame Addict since 1989

Ryan_McN

Post by Ryan_McN » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:10 pm

Sonic The Hedgehog's transition into 3D games. Painful.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:33 pm

slacey1070 wrote:The Commodore 1570 Disk Drive. Horribly expensive, noisy, unreliable and slow. I got one of these and asked for a Freeze Frame cartridge so I could put my games onto disc. The only problem was, the Freeze Frame didn't work with the 1570, until a patch arrived a month later.

Despite all this, I loved that drive and it changed gaming for me completely and I would never have been without it.

If I recall, its a failure because it didn't sell and the C64 couldn't take advantage of the increased speed and it was more expensive...
Oh yes, I forgot how painfully slow the Disk Drive was originally. I went for one of those carts as well- Mine was 'The final cartridge!' This thing was terrific, made the drive fast, had the freezer on it too.