From The Forum issue 139 - Your favourite failure

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Antiriad2097

Re: From The Forum issue 139 - Your favourite failure

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:26 pm

gman72 wrote:Also didn't Elite promise a really technical Scooby Doo game back in the day that when finally revealed was an incredibly average platform game?
There was originally going to be a Dragon's Lair style Scooby Doo game, but the programmers realised they'd been a bit over ambitious so it was binned and the ropey platformer was knocked out to use the license in a short period of time.
http://www.gamesthatwerent.com/gtw64/scooby-doo-v1/
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:44 pm

Aye, that's the badger. I can remember the double page add ran in crash and there various articles about it. A massive failure indeed. I think it was about the same time as the Bandersnatch/Psyclapse episode too.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:42 pm

Imagine went bust in '84, taking Psyclapse and Bandersnatch with them (though some bits of code and stuff were 'borrowed' by programmers, ending up in Brattacus I believe). The Scooby Doo game wasn't advertised until about a year later.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:53 pm

Scooby Doo could have been done as originally intended; Popeye, Benny Hill and Trap Door all proved that colourful large characters could work. A shame that the original never made it, although one has to wonder just how many people bought the final product having previously seen advertised screenshots of the canned version. The final article actually was still a pretty fun game; there have been far,far worse conversions (V and Highlander being the worst).

Another 'what could have been' is Star Trek;Secret of Vulcan Fury, This game was looking to be all sorts of awesome before it was dropped.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:32 am

For me it has to be the Virtual Boy, by Nintendo's standards a massive failure, but I have always really liked it, it has some good exclusives, it has never given me a headache because I set it up properly, and thanks to the wonderful websites such as Planet Virtual Boy, there is still a regular trickle of games and demos to try out.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:09 pm

The Phillips CDi, for trying to be all things to all people- games console, interactive learning tool, and home entertainment system and then failing to catch the imagination of anyone. Might have helped if they'd come with a decent joypad...

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:18 pm

Treguard wrote:The Phillips CDi, for trying to be all things to all people- games console, interactive learning tool, and home entertainment system and then failing to catch the imagination of anyone. Might have helped if they'd come with a decent joypad...
I got this Gravis one with mine and it's great!

This one came bundled with the later machines and is also very good:

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:24 pm

The Laird wrote:
Treguard wrote:The Phillips CDi, for trying to be all things to all people- games console, interactive learning tool, and home entertainment system and then failing to catch the imagination of anyone. Might have helped if they'd come with a decent joypad...
I got this Gravis one with mine and it's great!

This one came bundled with the later machines and is also very good:

I got the bleeding lollipop thing with mine. Somehow managed to complete Chaos Control on hardest difficulty with it but ended up with horrendous cramp.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:18 pm

Dreamcast - A commercial failure, but remains my most cherished console to this day. With such a small, albeit strong software library, the Dreamcast is the only console my brothers boot up when we want some solid multiplayer gaming.

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:42 pm

Mine was also 3DO...but ill also add Dave Perrys failure to complete Mario64 coin slide on Gamesamaster, probably the best pssst off face ever captured.

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:19 am

I've always been a fan of the NGage, I wish I still had mine as it was a great 8bit emulation device back then. Also the ports of Tomb Raider and Tony Hawk were great! :mrgreen:

It was a shame you had to hold it in a taco fashion when taking calls :evil:

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:49 am

joefish wrote:GameBoy Micro - not exactly a disaster in itself - a fantastic bit of miniaturised kit with a brilliant screen. But released nearly one whole year after the DS hit the market?
Another vote here for the Micro. I bought my first (I've got 3!) about 5 years ago, it totally passed me by at launch (although I seem to remember an advert for it at the cinema!)

I've had a GB and a GBA, but the micro is just perfect. As you say, it was just released a few years too late.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:02 am

PostieDoc wrote:The Commodore Plus/4, the first computer that I owned.
It was poorly designed in many ways yet I have so many happy memories of gaming on it.
Very close for me, the C16 was my first computer and it would be my second choice for this thread.

It was definitely flawed and a nonsensical commercial move, but it also had its strong points... a good colour palette, a fast drive interface, and most of all it was really easy to get good things out of BASIC (much unlike the C64).

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

Gordon Bennett

Post by Gordon Bennett » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:32 am

ArchaicKoala wrote:I've always been a fan of the NGage, I wish I still had mine as it was a great 8bit emulation device back then. Also the ports of Tomb Raider and Tony Hawk were great! :mrgreen:

It was a shame you had to hold it in a taco fashion when taking calls :evil:
I still enjoy my N-Gage. At the time it was an easy decision to make. I need to get a mobile. Should I get one made for gaming or spend just as much to get one that isn't suitable for games?

Mine is the second model, the N-Gage QD. That one fixed the infamous side-talking issue. It also allows you to change games without taking off the back cover and battery. It reallyh is a lovely little device to have.

joefish

Post by joefish » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:54 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:Scooby Doo could have been done as originally intended; Popeye, Benny Hill and Trap Door all proved that colourful large characters could work.
But those games have very limited frames of animation. The big sprites weren't the problem; the original design was for a series of unique-looking mini-games, and the animations for that sort of thing - particularly if done with large sprites, and needing a completely different set of sprites for each mini-game - just devour all the available memory.