From The Forum issue 139 - Your favourite failure

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

NickThorpe

From The Forum issue 139 - Your favourite failure

Post by NickThorpe » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:04 pm

Hi all, it's time to express opinions and have them appear on the mailbag pages! The question this time:

Which gaming disaster do you have a soft spot for?

This can be a game, a piece of hardware, even a company - so long as it spectacularly went down in flames, we're good.

For me, it's the Virtual Boy. I can see exactly why the thing failed to take off and I did reel in pain after finishing up a Galactic Pinball session yesterday, but it has a unique appeal for me - when you've amassed a huge collection of games, novelty factor can really help a machine stand out and there's nothing like the Virtual Boy.

General Opulence

Re: From The Forum issue 139 - Your favourite failure

Post by General Opulence » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:27 pm

Yeah i really liked the VB too, was very unique, something you can't replicate in emulation. Sure you could only play 30 mins at a time, but it had appeal.
I also had a soft spot for the Gizmondo, i like supporting the underdog, yes the people behind it were tits but some decent games were starting to appear and always a shame to see what might have been.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:15 pm

Atari Jaguar, obviously!

It's a system that could have offered so much but just failed so miserably. Crippling hardware bugs, a poor development kit and lack of support from Atari killed it. But the hardware itself was actually incredibly powerful and far ahead of anything else available at the time, it had so much potential.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:29 pm

The first name that comes to mind is Beyond Good and Evil. A beautiful game with a strong, non-stereotyped female protagonist in a gorgeous fantasy world. Undeservedly a commercial failure, and I'm still waiting for the sequel... :cry:

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:18 pm

Imagine, for failing in such spectacular fashion, with the bailiffs turning up while the staff were out to lunch, all recorded by a TV documentary crew.

A fantastic bit of UK gaming history that couldn't have been captured better if they'd tried, and befitting of their own media hype.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:56 pm

Amstrad GX4000, and recently Too Human.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:29 pm

The 3DO. I really enjoyed playing on mine when I used to own one.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:51 pm

The Amstrad GX4000. Unlike its rival the C64GS, Amstrad's console not only got rid of a keyboard but added a little extra under the hood. Plus it looked like a Snowspeeder from The Empire Strikes Back!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:34 pm

The Konix Multi-System.

It had great peripherals!

It was (partly) designed by Jeff Minter!

It was BRITISH!

It failed before it even got released!
Last edited by paranoid marvin on Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:56 pm

I like the romanticism of "Bandersnatch"; how there was supposed to be this game that was to be the biggest, best game ever that would blow everything right out of the water. Such exciting days, those pioneering ones.

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:36 pm

For me, its Factor 5 - a class company responsible for some of the greatest action game experiences ever, that continually pushed the bar on graphics and technical innovation. They stupidly jumped on the Sony bandwagon (ditching Lucas Arts and Nintendo in the process), and then got screwed over by their new publisher and ended up having to lock their staff out of the premises, owing them months in unpaid backpay.

Even today, Rogue Leader fits in graphically with modern games it was so good. Such a shame.

David

Post by David » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:35 pm

The Amiga CD32. Absolutely loved it. An Amiga for people who were too lazy to mess about with disks and keyboards (ie me)

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:23 am

Imagine and their hw boosted games gets my vote. Can you do an interview where you ask if appropriate compression and multiloads could have achieved the same thing they tried to do?

I don't consider the AAA Amiga chipset a gaming failure as such, but you might paint C= as the biggest balls-up ever. My life would have been so much more interesting if they didn't die. I really think so.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:36 am

Rise of the Robots. Months and months of hype, screen shots that made you believe the impossible was about to be released.... then BAM! It was sh!t.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:38 am

Would the NGPC be described as a failure? Superb handheld that deserved a better fate than it got up against the mammoth GB