Discuss Time! Issue 139

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

rossi46

Re: Discuss Time! Issue 139

Post by rossi46 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:27 am

I have a PSP GO full of regular, paid for games and a model 1 PSP rammed to the top with emulators.

I play both a lot.

I also have a Dingo A330 for arcade emulation and handheld linux Quake.
2015 NL East Division Champions.
2015 NL Championship Winners.
Let's Go Mets!

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:43 am

I keep buying handhelds because I love the idea of them. I always tell myself I can play them on journeys and on holidays etc. Then they just get left and I can never be bothered to play on them.

deadpan666

Post by deadpan666 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:48 pm

I spend so much time playing games on big consoles that I've actively avoided gaming on handhelds! I need to do something else at least some of the time, and if I had a handheld I'd never get anything done! :lol: It amazes my friends that I still don't own a mobile that can play anything but Snake! :mrgreen:

Oh, actually I do own a Gameboy Colour, but I play the games via Super Gameboy on the SNES! :)
Cinema Of Stuff Presents - The Undying Monster! http://tinyurl.com/nekrjdx

Let's go, Mr. Driver!

yakmag

Post by yakmag » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:43 pm

PSP for me, with CBM 64 and SNES emulation it really is the mutts!

Closely followed by my GB Advance with a Supercard, the battery life on it is amazing, never get tired of playing original Mario (Gameboy version).

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:09 pm

Answering the several Qs... yep, still do the handheld gaming. I don't like it as much as gaming on a nice big screen but it's still fun of course, which is the name of the game.
I find I like a different type of game on Handhelds to big screen gaming, which is why IMO Tetris and the puzzle type game suit portable gaming so well. Prof Leyton games I love on the 3DS, would I enjoy it as much on a big screen? Not sure. FPS and survival horror games are better suited to the big screen despite how good RE Revelations is. That said Zelda OOT on 3DS is the definitive version so now I'm just arguing with myself. :lol:
Love the GBA Micro, although the screen was a bit small for my old Fart eyes. NGPC was another fave although the lack of screen light was a prob. Lynx of course has a terrific quality library and still good. But my fave without doubt is the 3DS XL. Great games and good solid unit.
But when all is said and done, although they are portable gaming units, and they are supposed to be for gaming on the move, I rarely play it away from home or maybe a motel room while away. At the right side of 50 I feel a bit strange playing a game on a bus or plane, at an airport or the like. Maybe that's just me, but I think a few of us would feel that way.

Edited add on: I have always liked the idea of an emulator handheld, specifically for MAME...but have little tech knowledge so have always been a bit scared about taking the plunge

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:39 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:I keep buying handhelds because I love the idea of them. I always tell myself I can play them on journeys and on holidays etc. Then they just get left and I can never be bothered to play on them.
Me too sadly.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:40 pm

People saying that the PSP's battery life is great...is it better when using emulation vs UMD then? I've owned my 3000 model since new and the battery has always been very short-lived which makes getting into RPG's seriously difficult. I find myself constantly using the PS button to check the battery level in an almost paranoid way!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:44 pm

Define 'short lived'. My old one was good for 6 hours or so iirc, depends what I was playing. But yes, running off memory stick is a big battery saver compared to spinning the UMD all the time.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:07 pm

Megamixer wrote:People saying that the PSP's battery life is great...is it better when using emulation vs UMD then? I've owned my 3000 model since new and the battery has always been very short-lived which makes getting into RPG's seriously difficult. I find myself constantly using the PS button to check the battery level in an almost paranoid way!
I would imagine it is, yes... as when the UMD is in, the drive keeps spinning, which it won't with an emulator.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:10 pm

I love handheld gaming, especially now I have glasses so I can see whats going on! I have a selection of devices and often take one with me, whether its on the commute to work, trip to see my Mum in her home, visit to Doctors or whatever.

Especially handy on long haul flights and I find I can get a few hours gaming in, which makes the time go a bit quicker.

I much prefer gaming on a handheld console, over a phone or table (unless its the JXD) - because I don't get on with touch screen controls very well.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:16 pm

The Vita has really brought handheld gaming out of the drawer of tat thanks to cross-saving. Being able to switch from PS4 to Vita and back without fuss has made the Vita really worthwhile. I still prefer the big screen but I playing both.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:01 pm

Are there any handhelds that come with a recharging station? Something you just plop it down into that rests it there and makes it easy to just grab and go.
Could even possibly work as a docking thing with sound and video output.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:13 pm

There were such docks available from third parties for the PSP.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

tapmantwo

Post by tapmantwo » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:58 pm

Handhelds are great for filling in time when communiting on the train (or when you are dragging the kids round to visit the in-laws ;)). I always prefer the big screen experience though.

The commute thing is interesting - more often than not, you can look along the train and see nearly everyone plugged into a device playing something - normally on a phone or a tablet. At the moment I'm catching up on GOTT, but once I've got through those, my intent is to use my commute to finally complete Super Mario Land :P

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:32 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Define 'short lived'. My old one was good for 6 hours or so iirc, depends what I was playing. But yes, running off memory stick is a big battery saver compared to spinning the UMD all the time.
I'd probably say half that? It seems to be on par with the original model of 3DS in terms of poor battery life in my experience.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.