Discuss Time! Issue 139

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Darran@Retro Gamer

Discuss Time! Issue 139

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:51 pm

Hi guys this month we're discussing handheld gaming. Do you still do it? Do you prefer it over normal gaming and whats your favourite system?

The best ones will get in the mag.

Bub&Bob

Re: Discuss Time! Issue 139

Post by Bub&Bob » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:10 pm

Handheld gaming gets more time from me than consoles. My iPhone, iPad, PSP and JXD S7800b get around 75% of my time.

PSP is the best for me - cracking games and the ability to play most classic systems also.
Last edited by Bub&Bob on Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:12 pm

I got bored with my VITA and sold it but my JXD 7800B has really revamped my interest in handheld gaming. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:27 pm

I absolutely love the Playstation Vita & have every UK release so far along with nearly all the US limited editions plus many classic & indie games. It's where most of my gaming time is spent. I also do have to mention the Nintendo DS which has provided me with countless hours of great gaming plus the benefit of many import titles.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:52 pm

I thought 139's subject was discussing 'time' after reading that title :lol:

I liked the DS but that soon wore off. I play a little on mobile pones but for me, handheld gaming is not a patch on playing games on a TV/monitor. If I still had my GP2X (stolen unfortunately) then maybe I'd be a bit more into it...
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

joefish

Post by joefish » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:48 pm

I love the compact size, gaming power and sharp screen of the GBA Micro. A real shame it was so short-lived since playing Space Harrier on it got me envious looks even from DS owners. I'll admit Nintendo have finally done a good job with the 3DS XL, but it does need a conversion of Power Drift to seal the deal.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:00 pm

Yes! I have always loved handheld gaming from the moment I first got my Atari Lynx back in 1990, a system I still play a lot to this day. I have owned many handhelds over the years and also do a lot of gaming on my 3DS XL and my newest acquisition, a Neo Geo X.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:54 pm

I play handheld consoles as much as home consoles. If the next game I'm interested in just happens to be handheld then so be it. I don't tend to segregate handhelds and home consoles into separate categories is what I'm trying to say.

Anyway, the PSP is easily my favourite. Tekken Dark Resurrection, Soul Calibur Broken Destiny, Outrun 2006, Darkstalkers, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Persona 3 Portable...where do you want me to end? :lol:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:48 pm

Just as with hardcore drugs, I've "dabbled" with handhelds from way back in the '80s Game & Watch days right up to my lovely new 3DS XL, but dear lord no, it never has, nor will, replace its larger counterparts, which shall forever appease my ravenous gaming appetite*

*the drugs bit at the beginning was a fabrication, just to make me sound hard.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:07 pm

I've landed on handheld gaming in the mid-2000s with the GP2X, with all the emulators that run smoothly on it (from 8 bit computers to the NeoGeo) it was a retro gamer heaven.

Nowadays I mainly play with my trustworthy PSP, it has an excellent catalogue of games, can run emulators and homebrew, and has a good battery duration. Definitely my favourite handheld system.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:17 pm

with my love of all things racing and retro there was only one system for me- the psp.
my favourite genres are really well served, with great conversions of some of my favourite games (toca race driver, wrc, gran turismo) and when i want emulators it serves we well, i put the roms for my master system and mega drive collections, plus for the stuff i dont have there are some great compilations.
it compliments the ps1 and ps2 wonderfully

dste

Post by dste » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:30 am

I play on my DS everyday when travelling to work and back, fantastic handheld with lots of different genre of games to play. Due to this and the backwards compatibility with GBA games I would say that it was my favourite handheld.

I wouldn't say that I prefer handhelds over console gaming as I think that they are equal to the enjoyment that I get out of them but I do find it easier to play a handheld due to the nature of some of the games and due to being able to play it wherever I am like on the bus or in bed.

I'm thinking of taking a break from the DS though at the moment as I'm itching to dig out the Game Boy to have a blast on Tetris and to play Link's Awakening.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:59 am

Yup, my PSP's been having a bit of a renaissance recently.

I've been playing a LOT of Everyone's Golf 2. Lots of fun.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

WoodyCG

Post by WoodyCG » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:17 am

I havea half decent collection of Nintendo handhelds - Game Boy Color, Advance, SP, DS, DS XL - but never really spent that much time using them to be honest.

Picked up a PS Vita last year (oled screen) and this has seen more game time than the rest put together. Current favourites are TxK and Eveybody's Golf.

necronom

Post by necronom » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:24 am

I used to play Fireman Fireman when I was in first year Juniors, but since then I've never seen the point, as I've always had a computer, and more recently, consoles. If I'm at home I'd rather play on the PS3/4, and if I'm out, I'm either at work, driving, at the cinema, etc., so it's not practical to use one anyway.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V