From the forum issue 138 - Point and click

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

NickThorpe

From the forum issue 138 - Point and click

Post by NickThorpe » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:07 pm

Good morrow to you all! The new year begins with an old favourite, the mailbag thread. Today I want you to rack your brains and pick out your favourite point and click adventure. As ever, responses may be picked for inclusion in the mag.

For me, it's Broken Sword. I'd just made the jump from the Mega Drive (a platform not blessed with loads of point and click adventures) to the Playstation, and it really drove home the upgrade - lots of voice acting, massive sprites and a really meaty adventure to sink my teeth into.

Bub&Bob

Re: From the forum issue 138 - Point and click

Post by Bub&Bob » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:23 pm

Only ever played 2 in my life - Beneath a Steel Sky and The Silent Age so either of those!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:39 pm

For me it's Myst, that game just blew me away when it first came out, I had never seen a game that looked like that before.

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:05 pm

I know loads of people love Monkey Island and the like; the problem I have with these games is it can take SOOOOO LOOOOONNNNNGGGG while you wait for your sprite to amble over to the spot you just clicked on, it's excruciating. And then the 'hilarious' gag is delivered o-n-e... l-e-t-t-e-r... a-t... a... t-i-m-e... SNORE!

Riven (Myst II) was the first one to really hook me. I'd tried it on the PlayStation and couldn't get into it, then years later tried it on the PC - with a few hints for the really insane bits - and just thought it was fantastic. The steampunk contraptions, POV marble-runs and the atmosphere of rocky islands and buzzing insects was properly immersive.

As for Myst, I found it a bit too restrictive, but Real Myst (where you can move around in full 3D) is just brilliant. An independent team is working on something similar for Riven, although with the extra detail it's taking a lot longer. But on a stereoscopic headset like the Occulus Rift it should be incredible. Myst III Exile on the XBox, with full panoramic scenes, looked amazing and had some great puzzles, but didn't really have it in the story.

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:26 pm

Tough call! For me it's between Broken Sword 2 and Beneath a Steel Sky... BASS probably edges it although I played Broken Sword 2 first
Last edited by ArchaicKoala on Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:49 pm

"Day of the Tentacle" all the way, it was the game I saw running in my local computer shop that made me wish I had a PC with soundcard and CD drive.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

General Opulence

Post by General Opulence » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:57 pm

Lure of the temptress - an amazing adventure game and the first one that got me into the genre, not only is the story good, graphics for the time were great, also it was the first at the time to have the characters moving around during their daily chores, you could visit the same scene and a character might not be there, it was very advanced for the time and made you think you were really in the game.

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:17 pm

Discworld Noir is a superbly written adventure with an excellently dark atmosphere.
It doesn't try too hard to be funny like its two predecessors did and as a result winds up being, well, funny.
It normally gets overlooked in favour of the Lucasarts games but it is every bit as good as them, if not better.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:17 pm

I've recently re-played the first two Monkey Island games in their special edition, and they amazingly stand the test of time with their humour and clever puzzles.

But my vote goes to Zak McRacken and the Alien Mindbenders, another Lucasfilm masterpiece. Great humour, wacky story and characters, tons of locations and a fantastic packaging too.

See ya.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:00 pm

Monkey Island 2 is quite simply the best point and click adventure ever. It's a masterpiece.

PaulEMoz

Post by PaulEMoz » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:10 pm

I used to watch my wife play them more than actually playing them myself. The one I most enjoyed watching her play was Syberia, which was stunning.

That said, I really enjoyed Blade Runner. That was really well done.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:38 pm

Blade Runner - moody, atmospheric and a loving homage to the film. And great graphics.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:37 pm

Monkey Island 1 & 2 are genuine all time classic games, they are by far the best of the genre.

Oblisky

Post by Oblisky » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:21 am

Having gone down the console route over the years, I've not played most of the games mentioned on here, therefore the Broken Sword series is on obvious choice for me. Its hard to pick out any as my favourite as I enjoyed the first three equally before not really following them after that.

Also, a shout for a couple of ST shareware games my cousin had when we were in our teens called Grandad and Grandad 2. Both were really nice to look at and had some great humour which we thought was really funny at our age. I remember my cousin buying the full game for Grandad 2 and receiving a letter from Ian Scott the creator, along with the code sheet. I've had a playthrough on emulator a few times as a bit of a nostalgia blast.

Mancman

Post by Mancman » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:51 pm

Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade. One of my all time favorite films and because it stayed true to the storyline of the film, you truly felt like you were the man in the hat!

I know it's not considered his best adventure but it had the biggest impact on me.