Introducing The Amiga Book

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Eric

Re: Introducing The Amiga Book

Post by Eric » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:10 pm

Finally turned up a month late here in WH Smiths.

Found a small Sonic sprite in the Pinball Dreams making of?

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:14 am

Eric wrote:Finally turned up a month late here in WH Smiths.

Found a small Sonic sprite in the Pinball Dreams making of?
Well done. When we did issue 26 we hid a load of sonic sprites throughout the magazine. I clearly forgot to remove it :P
You're the first person to mention it. Good eyes!

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:47 pm

few more of these are at WH Smith Victoria station
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:08 pm

Magazine could have done with more in-depth feature content about the Amiga. Where is a music feature for example? The Amiga was an introduction I'm sure for many budding musicians on a budget.

Enjoyed the read and it is nice to have the articles in one place now
Last edited by Doddsy on Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:09 pm

Doddsy wrote:The Amiga was an introduction I'm sure for many budding musicians on a budget.
That was more the ST to be fair, it was always the musicians choice because of the MIDI ports.

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:59 pm

The Laird wrote:
Doddsy wrote:The Amiga was an introduction I'm sure for many budding musicians on a budget.
That was more the ST to be fair, it was always the musicians choice because of the MIDI ports.
True but it had tracker programs that were like free software samplers and you could buy MIDI ports for the amiga as well as software like DR T's music sequencer.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Wed May 20, 2015 10:58 am

There's a revised edition up for pre-order now which is due in July. Wonder what new content there is.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed May 20, 2015 4:42 pm

I'm not sure if there will be new content. Rather there will be content from previous issues instead.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat May 23, 2015 4:30 am

Thank you for the email sent, thank you for the reprinted Bookazines. Preordered Hardware Vol 2 Immediately, stoked to finally get it :D

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:46 pm

Noticed that they had a few copies of the C64 book in Smiths today next to NES/Master System book. Have those been reprinted too or are they likely some ancient stock dug out of a storeroom?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

russty_russ

Post by russty_russ » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:38 am

Megamixer wrote:Noticed that they had a few copies of the C64 book in Smiths today next to NES/Master System book. Have those been reprinted too or are they likely some ancient stock dug out of a storeroom?
The C64 book is a revised edition from the last one. There is some more articles from the last one but I believe they are from previous RG mags and not new in their own right.

I gather there will be an revised Amiga mag coming out soon. I feel a bit uneasy about this as it only came out this year and the revised edition will be like the C64 one where there will be some extra articles in there. I think its a bit unfair on those who spent a tenner on getting one earlier this year only for it to be superseeded with a newer version 6 months later. I don't see it as an issue with the C64 revised bookazine and the original came out years ago but the Amiga one just feels a bit too soon. I would rather a second edition untouched from the first version would be fairer on those who bought the first one earlier this year.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:42 am

russty_russ wrote:The C64 book is a revised edition from the last one. There is some more articles from the last one but I believe they are from previous RG mags and not new in their own right.

I gather there will be an revised Amiga mag coming out soon. I feel a bit uneasy about this as it only came out this year and the revised edition will be like the C64 one where there will be some extra articles in there. I think its a bit unfair on those who spent a tenner on getting one earlier this year only for it to be superseeded with a newer version 6 months later. I don't see it as an issue with the C64 revised bookazine and the original came out years ago but the Amiga one just feels a bit too soon. I would rather a second edition untouched from the first version would be fairer on those who bought the first one earlier this year.
You dont have to buy it !

I dont think its Retro Gamer taking the mick, more like lots of people asking for it as it was sold out quickly last time. The Amiga one was sold out quickly so they thought they would just add a bit more to it.

I love the Speccy and have the first bookazine but probably wont get the updated one, its only a tenner though and like i say you dont have to buy it. Of course the people who have the original might not be too happy like the above but for people who missed out on it i'm sure they're even happier. Just think of it like the Star Wars dvds getting updated what seems like every year, again you dont have to buy it!

russty_russ

Post by russty_russ » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:45 am

psj3809 wrote:You dont have to buy it !

I dont think its Retro Gamer taking the mick, more like lots of people asking for it as it was sold out quickly last time. The Amiga one was sold out quickly so they thought they would just add a bit more to it.

I love the Speccy and have the first bookazine but probably wont get the updated one, its only a tenner though and like i say you dont have to buy it. Of course the people who have the original might not be too happy like the above but for people who missed out on it i'm sure they're even happier. Just think of it like the Star Wars dvds getting updated what seems like every year, again you dont have to buy it!
I could have sworn I posted a reply to this?

It wasn't a grudge against RG far from it as I'm too nice for all that :) I understand that the bookazine sold too quickly. As somebody who collects all the RGs and bookazines, I found a bit offputting for another revision to come out so soon after the last one. Fair enough do a reprint but to add a few extra pages in so soon after the last one was released is a bit off putting for a collector. I understand your point, maybe I'm just being too tight! :D

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:57 am

I have most of the earlier ones, but didn't have the Hardware Vol 2. I'm stoked I can now get it, without the Ebay inflated costs. It's a little bonus if there's a bit extra added, but that wasn't my motive...I'm just happy to now get it.
And by the same token, others getting a reprint of one I already have like the C64 beast will get a little extra, and I don't begrudge them in the slightest. It's just nice fellow gamers will get an opportunity if they missed out first time round to get these bookazines without the scalpers prices :) And the ones that bought a few then plonked them on ebay marked up once they had sold out...nice to bugger them too :lol:

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:01 pm

I picked up another copy of the Amiga Book for 50p. In whsmiths bargain charity bin on Thursday.
Thoughts and prayers.