User-generated content

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

gman72

Re: User-generated content

Post by gman72 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:21 am

My stepson is 19 now and was raised watching me play PS2, GameCube and original Xbox games. To him these machines are very much retro - steeped in nostalgia.
It is a matter of perception to be honest.
Pigeonholing the readership into one band of "retro" is probably not the best idea for long term health of the mag we all love but there you are. I'm happy with my own internal meter of what is retro and as long as the mag dips into that from time to time I'm more than happy.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:18 am

Bait taken, my work here is done :lol:

I recognise younger readers may have an interest in newer material, but 00's doesn't look or feel retro to me for the most part, just a bit old. But we've covered this ground before in the 'What is retro' thread.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Gryzor

Post by Gryzor » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:24 am

(sorry, it just felt like The Good Wife :D )

All said, everyone and all are right, of course, as it *is* a matter of perspective and age. However, I feel games are changing less and less these days, so games from 2000 in my eyes are not retro, just... old, nostalgia (for some) notwithstanding.

Since RG's move to newer titles will be self-fulfilling, driving old-timers out to lure newer generations in, maybe it's time for the old guard to take our leave...

PS Ah, Antiriad beat me to the old/retro issue...
:Visit now!:

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:23 am

Gryzor wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:You forgot to add "in my opinion".
Actually, I did. Or is "...and that's just a matter of perception" much different?
I wouldn't say that myself, but it's now clear that you meant what I added so that's great.

Retro Gamer will ALWAYS focus on the 8 and 16-bit era, but it can't ignore other systems, particularly when there's as much difference in age as there were (or more) then when Retro Gamer first started 11 odd years ago.

joefish

Post by joefish » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:49 pm

Hasn't whingeing about different opinions of what constitutes 'retro' been going on on this forum long enough to be considered retro in itself?

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:14 am

I think even the observation that the what is retro discussion is retro, is itself now retro! :lol:
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:53 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:I recognise younger readers may have an interest in newer material, but 00's doesn't look or feel retro to me for the most part, just a bit old. But we've covered this ground before in the 'What is retro' thread.
Dont get me wrong seeing X-Box stuff in the mag does feel 'weird' as my idea of retro is different but i can understand why its in it. Its the same sort of 'oh my god i am old I'm turning into my dad' feeling i get when i hear my nieces sing a song which is a cover of an old early 90's classic and they think their boy band wrote it etc or the same when an old TV program or film gets remade and i'm whinging the original from 1979 was far better !

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:12 am

psj3809 wrote:Dont get me wrong seeing X-Box stuff in the mag does feel 'weird' as my idea of retro is different but i can understand why its in it. Its the same sort of 'oh my god i am old I'm turning into my dad' feeling i get when i hear my nieces sing a song which is a cover of an old early 90's classic and they think their boy band wrote it
...which was in turn was no doubt highly derivative of something from the 60's or 70's!

You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Timothy Redux

Post by Timothy Redux » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:52 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:There's more chance of a back to the 00 then there is one of the 70s
back to 2000s would be good too - i didn't have a modern console again until 2006, so plenty sure there's lots of fun to be had.
The Artist Formerly Known as Timothy Lumsden...