On New Subsribers Offers

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

junkmale

On New Subsribers Offers

Post by junkmale » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:05 pm

I'm sorry for this rant in advance but it really, really censored*s me off.
On the same day that my new issue arrives my letter from Imagine also arrives. You know the one telling me i've 3 issues to go and to resubscribe now at the very Best price ever!!

A quick flick through the mag finds a new subscriber offer inviting readers to a full years issues of the magazine for a whopping 50% off. Strange as i thought mine was the very best offer ever?

I've been with the mag since issue 1 and a subscriber since issue 2 (that's a lot of years...and a lot of cash).
What have i ever gotten for my loyalty? Absolutely nothing!
What about some sort of reward for that loyalty?
I fully realise that it's common practice amongst publishers to make these offers in order to 'encourage' new readers to subscribe but that doesn't make it fair and it doesn't make it right. Not by a very long way.

Sokurah

Re: On New Subsribers Offers

Post by Sokurah » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:56 am

junkmale wrote:On the same day that my new issue arrives my letter from Imagine also arrives. You know the one telling me i've 3 issues to go and to resubscribe now at the very Best price ever!!

A quick flick through the mag finds a new subscriber offer inviting readers to a full years issues of the magazine for a whopping 50% off. Strange as i thought mine was the very best offer ever?

I've been with the mag since issue 1 and a subscriber since issue 2 (that's a lot of years...and a lot of cash).
What have i ever gotten for my loyalty? Absolutely nothing!
What about some sort of reward for that loyalty?
I fully realise that it's common practice amongst publishers to make these offers in order to 'encourage' new readers to subscribe but that doesn't make it fair and it doesn't make it right. Not by a very long way.
I have to agree. That annoys the hell out of me every time I see it too (and I've been with the magazine since issue 4). Other people getting a good offer but not me.

And the 6 month subscription is very attractive too (not only just because of the lower price) but also because I would like to split the yearly expense up into two, but that is not an offer for existing subscribers.

Well, I just renewed my subscription - I think the current issue is the first of that (or perhaps the next one)...but considering that I find less and less of interrest in the magazine I think it'll be the last time I do so.
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games. All freeware for PC & Mac.
Twitter: Sokurah

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:55 am

Ah, you see, you're in the "Keep Net"!

You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:01 am

It is frustrating as you see this all the time for many products.

Second your subscription ends then make sure it doesnt auto-renew and take out one of these deals. But it is common practice for many products out there, frustrating as we're the loyal ones subscribing to the mag, we should be treated !

Subs Manager

Post by Subs Manager » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:00 am

Hi All,

Our Christmas offer is available to existing subscribers too, if you wish to renew using the Christmas offer you can either;

1. Visit http://www.imaginesubs.co.uk/myaccount and log in using your WEB ID and enter offer code XMAS141 for UK or XMAS149 for overseas.

2. Call 0844 848 8412 UK and quote offer code XMAS141 or +44 1795 592 872 from overseas and quote offer code XMAS149

If you have already renewed, send me an email and I can arrange for Customer Services to swap this over for you.

Thanks
Carly
Carly Archer
Subscriptions
Imagine Publishing

e: carly.archer@imagine-publishing.co.uk

junkmale

Post by junkmale » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:54 am

Thanks for that but my point is still valid.

It shouldn't have taken this to bring to your attention that the offer be made available to existing subscribers?

Here's hoping that there will be a double page spread in the next issue with full disclosure of the offer being made more widely available. Somehow i won't be holding my breath for that to happen any time soon.

It's a small step in the right direction though.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:39 am

Come on again you know how these things work.

BT/British Gas/Sky and others wont shove their new offers down your throat for existing customers, all the offers are for new customers. You want a deal then take the time to 'cancel' your contract then no doubt they'll offer you 6 months free this or half price that. Its always the way

I personally hope there isnt a 2 page double spread about this offer, would rather there be a retro related picture or story.

junkmale

Post by junkmale » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:48 pm

junkmale wrote: I fully realise that it's common practice amongst publishers to make these offers in order to 'encourage' new readers to subscribe but that doesn't make it fair and it doesn't make it right. Not by a very long way.

Indeed.
Which is why i wrote this in my original post.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:55 am

Yet you're the only one still going on about this

I'll be annoyed if theres suddenly 2 pages wasted in Retro Gamer offering this great new deal for new subscribers. Here's hoping that there WONT be a double page spread in the next issue with full disclosure of the offer being made more widely available. Specially if they're too lazy to simply call/email about their subscription and get a new one.

junkmale

Post by junkmale » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:57 am

I'm not 'going on' about it at all.
My last post apart from my response to you was on 07/11. The only others were the original post and my response to the Subs Manager?
Hardly qualifies as going on about it.
Had your comment not warranted a response that would have been it from me.

NickLoTurco10

Post by NickLoTurco10 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:19 am

Jesus christ will you stop going on!!!!

;)
Please visit my blog page http://www.hitthesport.wordpress.com

Amiga 1200, Blizzard IV, WHDload-massive!

TuftedMatt

Post by TuftedMatt » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:18 pm

Been trying to ignore the cracking deal for new subscribers, when I'm on a rolling direct debit.
However the latest issue ( Printed on recycled wrapping paper) is making me rethink.