Retro Gamer - Issue 135

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Post Reply
Bub&Bob
Posts: 6833
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:24 am

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 135

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:59 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I can appreciate that some people are upset because the cover features a great series they don't like, but if anyone else put disgusting pictures up they'll be dealt with accordingly. We are after all adults.
I don't like the cover. But that's how it goes, sometimes I love the cover, sometimes I don't.

I sort of understand those collectors of the mag who might be upset about 4 covers but surely sometimes a full collection does require spending a little cash now and then.

And as for the poo, way OTT IMO (lots of CAPS :) )
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

User avatar
BiNMaN
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:46 am

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 135

Post by BiNMaN » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:31 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:We didn't put anything in the magazine about the split run because we were still deciding on what the best approach for a possible Pokemon cover would be. When we did realise we let everyone know that there would be an exclusive subs cover as soon as possible on all our social media and this forum.
No I'm sorry but you are wrong, this has been handled very poorly. You have presumed that your readership frequent these forums, yes I am registered but I for one rarely frequent it. You have presumed that your readership follows your social media I follow you on facebook and I can categorically say that I have no recollection of anything remotely resembling this topic.

What I have is a magazine that arrived yesterday vaguely noticing the picture below your column and then eventually have it dawn on me earlier today about the multiple covers. I am not usually one to vent my displeasure online, I do not like to criticise but I am left very angry and embittered. To top it all I eventually get an email this evening (17.46) about the multiple covers.

What you should have done is whip up the excitement by announcing the split last month this may have cause some dissent however we would have had plenty of time to adjust and get excited about the prospect. I for one would have requested these additional copies as a birthday present and what a present they would have been but no I'm left with a bad taste in my mouth.

There is a thin line that separates laughter and pain, comedy and tragedy, humour and hurt. Today you have crossed that line, shame on you Retro Gamer, for shame.

User avatar
Darran@Retro Gamer
Posts: 6771
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:34 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 135

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:50 pm

I haven't presumed anything. As I've already pointed out, we couldn't whip up excitement as you suggest because the covers weren't in place when the issue was sent to the printers.
There are also mentions of the subscriber cover on Facebook still, I'm sorry you missed them when they first went up.
Image

User avatar
markopoloman
Posts: 11657
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:03 pm
Location: Poole, Dorset

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 135

Post by markopoloman » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:54 pm

Maybe RG should run off some extra copies of the cover and charge a quid for each to be posted!

Didn't RG do a multiple cover in the past - but with a pull out of all the available covers included? Or am I going mad?!
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

User avatar
Darran@Retro Gamer
Posts: 6771
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:34 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 135

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:55 pm

markopoloman wrote:Maybe RG should run off some extra copies of the cover and charge a quid for each to be posted!

Didn't RG do a multiple cover in the past - but with a pull out of all the available covers included? Or am I going mad?!
You can't just run off extra copies unfortunately. And no, we've not done multiple covers in the past. You may be thinking of the 100 covers for gamesTM.
Image

User avatar
Eric
Posts: 692
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 135

Post by Eric » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:50 pm

VTech Creativision was a highlight for me, never heard of it until Minority Report.

Pokemon I don't regard as a game series as it is more of it's own thing but putting on the 4 covers does make good business sense, Duck Hunt I think would have been a more retro game like cover. I did though leave WH Smiths having lined up the 3 covers in order along the shelve.

The 50% subscription offer on page 84 was too good to pass up, though my first issue will be 138 for some reason.

For my mag contents site http://www.parkproductions.co.uk I have used a 4 frame .gif animation to display the covers - not used .gif in years!

User avatar
the_hawk
Posts: 5858
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 135

Post by the_hawk » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:16 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
markopoloman wrote:Maybe RG should run off some extra copies of the cover and charge a quid for each to be posted!

Didn't RG do a multiple cover in the past - but with a pull out of all the available covers included? Or am I going mad?!
You can't just run off extra copies unfortunately. And no, we've not done multiple covers in the past. You may be thinking of the 100 covers for gamesTM.
I think MPM might be referring to the pull out with the 4 covers, it had Bomberman and Castlevania & possibly some other Hudson games iirc, round about issue 60-ish.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

User avatar
TwoHeadedBoy
Posts: 9028
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:55 am
Location: Liverpool
Contact:

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 135

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:32 pm

Don't remember that pull-out Bomberman thing, will have to have a look through my boxes...

A lot of chit-chat over the cover here, yep. I'm not into Pokemon games, but have always liked the idea of them - as in, the whole range of creatures there are. For the first 150 of them at least, I'd obsess over the critters without ever playing the game. When Kieren posted the picture of all the covers on Facebook, I was hoping to get the Bulbasaur cover.

ONE magazine arrives in our shop each month, and that's the one that gets put away for me. The one that arrived was the Bulbasaur one, and this made me happy, yes. Oh, and I like the back cover a lot as well, nice to have something like that rather than an advert.

As for the magazine... Never heard of the Creativision. You think you've heard of every obscure console around, and then another one jumps right out, looks great! The Rocket Knight Adventures bit was fun too.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

User avatar
Fawltykog
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:41 am
Location: Down 't Pits

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 135

Post by Fawltykog » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:25 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
markopoloman wrote:Maybe RG should run off some extra copies of the cover and charge a quid for each to be posted!

Didn't RG do a multiple cover in the past - but with a pull out of all the available covers included? Or am I going mad?!
You can't just run off extra copies unfortunately. And no, we've not done multiple covers in the past. You may be thinking of the 100 covers for gamesTM.
Please don't go down that route, it's bad enough with four. :roll:

psj3809
Posts: 19009
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:28 am

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 135

Post by psj3809 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:39 am

Oh no not more discussion over the cover ;)

I've got every single RG mag but i'm not obsessive enough to want to get all these alternative covers. Its an okay idea by RG, wasnt the tagline for Pokemon 'gotta catch them all' so here you can see why theyre doing alternative covers as you 'gotta get them all' kinda thing. But nah i'll stick with my subscription cover

Now sorry for going off topic and not mentioning the cover again, lets have a look at the mag !...

Sad not to see back to the 80's, obviously they've finished it. How about back to the 00's ? I mean thats 14 years ago ? Surely people wont get upset by that if it starts Jan 2000 ? Still think 'back to the (late) 70's' would be good, eg starting 1977 or something ?

Pokemon - I'm sure if you are a Pokemon fan its great, i'm not, just passed me by, i was just a it too old for it, i did 'try' the games but didnt get why it was so popular and still dont play this on emulators years later. Just one of those issues where the main article doesnt appeal to me

Exolon - Love this, made me go and play this again.
Turbo Grafx - Never had one of these in the day but LOVE playing these games on an emulator, their arcade games are superb
Adventuresoft UK - Remember playing a lot of their games, have to read this later
Food fight - Again another article which will make me try this old game again
Defender - I moan about not enough arcade stuff, this looks good, totally forgot about the 'sequel'. After playing this the other weekend at 'Arcade Club' i'll enjoy this article for sure
Rocket Knight Adventures - Never played this before, looks good, shall have to 'find' it ;)
VTech - Never played or i dont think seen this before. Interesting article, good to see Kieren do something different. Looks a good article
King of Fighters - Never been a huge fan of these types of game, so yeah just one of those months where some of the main articles dont appeal to me. Always thought these street fighter/kings of fighter games were roughly the same
30 years of Duck Hunt - Again never a fan of this game
Halo - Hardly played this as i never was into the X-Box, have to read this to see 'what the fuss is all about' !
Tommy Tallarico - Being a Speccy fan i'm not too fussed about music in games that much, not someone to listen to any retro music in a car

So not the best issue for me, i'll give those articles a read at the end but just one of those issues where i've never been a fan of those games

Roll on next month though ! Elite, Ranarama and the Master System.

User avatar
BiNMaN
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:46 am

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 135

Post by BiNMaN » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:50 am

psj3809 wrote:Oh no not more discussion over the cover ;).
LOL

On a positive note I never realised just how passionate I am about this magazine and how much I need to have every issue, the negative is that I am a very sad individual and I have come to realise that I have a OCD come hoarding dysfunctional personality trait.

I even save screws and fitting from old furniture that I am disposing of just incase they may be of some use in the future, the sad part of that is years down the line I have been proved right.

If I wasn't married with children I would be deeply worried that something was lacking.

:wink:

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:01 am
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 135

Post by The Laird » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:06 am

Glad people liked the CreatiVision article, I thought it would make an interesting read.

I am still waiting on my issue, as there was a mix up with my change of address annoyingly, so haven't had the chance to see my own articles yet!

Really looking forward to reading most of this issue actually, there is a lot of interesting stuff for me this month without being a Pokemon fan. :D

User avatar
RodimusPrime
Posts: 4141
Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 12:16 pm

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 135

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:50 pm

I can understand not liking the cover, especially as I am not a big pokemon fan myself. but there have been plenty of games I do not like on the cover in the past.

In all honesty there is some serious childish overeations on here. threatening to cancel subs, acting like the cover actually in any way impacts the content, and actually claiming you cant enjoy the magazine because of the cover. Then people cl;aiming they now have to sell thier entitre collection.

pathetic is all I can say.

Great magazine by the way this month, shame thast been overshadowed by a non event that some people are treating like the end of the world.

Loved the King of fighters article, would have loved a KOF cover :lol:

User avatar
ianpmarks
Posts: 457
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:49 am

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 135

Post by ianpmarks » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:07 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:I can understand not liking the cover, especially as I am not a big pokemon fan myself. but there have been plenty of games I do not like on the cover in the past.

In all honesty there is some serious childish overeations on here. threatening to cancel subs, acting like the cover actually in any way impacts the content, and actually claiming you cant enjoy the magazine because of the cover. Then people cl;aiming they now have to sell thier entitre collection.

pathetic is all I can say.

Great magazine by the way this month, shame thast been overshadowed by a non event that some people are treating like the end of the world.

Loved the King of fighters article, would have loved a KOF cover :lol:
But this reply seems a bit of an over reaction in itself.
If that's how people feel (myself i was only joking about subs cancelling, even though i didn't much like the cover) then thats how they feel. Not sure it is childish or pathetic. Seems a bit angry and harsh there.

User avatar
RodimusPrime
Posts: 4141
Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 12:16 pm

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 135

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:31 pm

ianpmarks wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:I can understand not liking the cover, especially as I am not a big pokemon fan myself. but there have been plenty of games I do not like on the cover in the past.

In all honesty there is some serious childish overeations on here. threatening to cancel subs, acting like the cover actually in any way impacts the content, and actually claiming you cant enjoy the magazine because of the cover. Then people cl;aiming they now have to sell thier entitre collection.

pathetic is all I can say.

Great magazine by the way this month, shame thast been overshadowed by a non event that some people are treating like the end of the world.

Loved the King of fighters article, would have loved a KOF cover :lol:
But this reply seems a bit of an over reaction in itself.
If that's how people feel (myself i was only joking about subs cancelling, even though i didn't much like the cover) then thats how they feel. Not sure it is childish or pathetic. Seems a bit angry and harsh there.
Not angry, just a resigned shake of the head in disbelief in some of the posts. Grown men threatening to canx subs or getting upset about a pokemon on the cover of a retro gaming mag.

The covers are a perfect idea for a game that has the tagline " gotta cath them all "

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests