Retro Gamer - Issue 135

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ianpmarks

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 135

Post by ianpmarks » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:20 pm

quantum wrote:
ianpmarks wrote:As to the cunning plan i won't be swapping my magazine as i bin them once read. Sacriledge i know.
Er, couldn't you give 'em to a charity shop or something? :shock:
Tend to read it exclusively in the bath, so they are sadly a bit dog eared by the time I've read them. Don't think charity shop would want them. They are recycled, and I do give lots of books, cd's etc to charity.... I'm not a monster.

quantum

Post by quantum » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:32 pm

the_hawk wrote:
quantum wrote:Er, couldn't you give 'em to a charity shop or something? :shock:
That's what I do these days, but I hadn't realised that our local Cancer Research shop bins any mags they get..that means dozens of my old mags have been chucked!!
Shocking! Guess the majority of magazines are not collectable.

ianpmarks wrote:
quantum wrote:
ianpmarks wrote:As to the cunning plan i won't be swapping my magazine as i bin them once read. Sacriledge i know.
Er, couldn't you give 'em to a charity shop or something? :shock:
Tend to read it exclusively in the bath, so they are sadly a bit dog eared by the time I've read them. Don't think charity shop would want them. They are recycled, and I do give lots of books, cd's etc to charity.... I'm not a monster.
Fair enough, we'll let it slide this time! :D

How about a game screenshot quiz? Amiga, DOS, Megadrive and Commodore 64.

joefish

Post by joefish » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:44 pm

BiNMaN wrote:I know I'm being completely childish about it, I've always wanted to collect something
Count yourself lucky you didn't get into Pokémon then! :lol:

Give it a month or so, then have a whip-round of readers who'll swap their old issues for signed copies of Turbo the Tortoise...

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:57 pm

Not a great fan of the cover (not a clue about polkwhatsit either mind) but so far the content is quality as always. Mind you my youngest has now taken an interest in the magazine so chalk up another reader!

BiNMaN

Post by BiNMaN » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:16 pm

joefish wrote:
BiNMaN wrote:I know I'm being completely childish about it, I've always wanted to collect something
Count yourself lucky you didn't get into Pokémon then! :lol:

Give it a month or so, then have a whip-round of readers who'll swap their old issues for signed copies of Turbo the Tortoise...

thanks mister, that gave me a belly laugh

just what I needed :D

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:42 pm

Well the covers are clearly just a play on the original releases with Pokemon Red Version and Pokemon Green Version being the original versions while the West got Red and Blue for our launch. The Yellow Pikachu edition was a special updated version of the game that came later. I can only guess that the mag covers are sort-of supposed to reflect this.

Will see if I can get a copy from the shop tommorow. I'm still predicting that this one might sell out faster than usual with a cover that will appeal to people who don't normally buy the mag.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Fawltykog

Post by Fawltykog » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:18 pm

Didn't get much of a choice of the cover in the local Asda's t'was the green one (whatever the hell it is) or nowt, felt a bit :oops: taking it to the checkout as it looks more like a Pokemon comic than the Retro Gamer we all know and love.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:20 pm

BiNMaN wrote:can't justify spending £15 we only have one income, I don't drink on a regular basis and i don't smoke so this is my guilty sin as it were
But you are BiNMaN. If it helps, I'll give you the £15. Consider it payment for my entertainment over the years.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Nikolai

Post by Nikolai » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:46 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:The pikachu cover is the subscriber cover.
I'm an iPad subscriber, and the cover is NOT Picachu. Also, the darn thing wants me to pay for the new issue. I know from previous experience that the old issues I've bought are shown as not owned when I try to redownload them, but after confirming I want to buy them again, the app tells me I own it and don't need to pay up. That happens after I confirm the buy with my account password though. I bet the same happens if I try to "buy" the new issue, but if not, I will be angry... :roll:

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:15 pm

My first console was the N64, when I was at university, and that had 7 Pokemon games on it, some of them very cool. While I never played them, I enjoyed reading about them in N64 Magazine, and will enjoy reading about them in this issue, as I enjoy reading about all other retro content, regardless of whether it was my thing or not. They also haven't been featured in the mag as far as I can remember so I welcome some new content.

Re the cover, with people saying they are embarrassed by it - get it from the Imagine Shop then. Its not like you're buying a dirty magazine or something!

I can understand why collector's are a bit out of joint over the 4-issues, but I welcome RG doing things like this, instead of doing the same-old thing every month. Having Pokemon on the cover means there is a good chance they will entice new, younger readers to the mag, which is only good.

Nikolai

Post by Nikolai » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:50 pm

Dammit! Even though I have a SUBSCRIPTION, the darn app charged me for the latest issue when I tried to download it. :cry: :evil:

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:12 pm

Oh God, how do I unsee that photo?

BiNMaN

Post by BiNMaN » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:43 pm

antsbull wrote:I can understand why collector's are a bit out of joint over the 4-issues, but I welcome RG doing things like this, instead of doing the same-old thing every month. Having Pokemon on the cover means there is a good chance they will entice new, younger readers to the mag, which is only good.
what would have been nice is a bit of a warning, or at least something in the back of last month's mag

something to get us excited about it rather than angry after the fact, I honestly would have asked for them as a birthday present and i would have been so excited about getting them

now all I can think is do i try to get the other copies, will I manage to get the other copies, do I keep the collection as what i consider to be incomplete or just get rid of all 135

When live went bump I was overjoyed that this mag was picked up, please make me feel this way again

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:58 pm

We didn't put anything in the magazine about the split run because we were still deciding on what the best approach for a possible Pokemon cover would be. When we did realise we let everyone know that there would be an exclusive subs cover as soon as possible on all our social media and this forum.

At one stage we were considering a 151 cover split-run (with a single Mew cover) with a different Pokemon on each one, but realised that distribution for it would be a nightmare.

I can appreciate that some people are upset because the cover features a great series they don't like, but if anyone else put disgusting pictures up they'll be dealt with accordingly. We are after all adults.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:08 pm

Nikolai wrote:Dammit! Even though I have a SUBSCRIPTION, the darn app charged me for the latest issue when I tried to download it. :cry: :evil:
I can't help you with this I'm afraid, I have nothing to do with the digital recreation of the magazine. I will speak to the relevant department tomorrow.