Retro Gamer - Issue 135

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

quantum

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 135

Post by quantum » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:32 am

kiwimike wrote:
r0jaws wrote:I genuinely don't get Pokemon. It has just never appealed to me. The cartoons appear to be full of screeching kids, and the "monsters" look like stuffed toys.
Maybe I was just that bit too old for it.
Yeah same for me. The craze seemed to be more appealing to younger kids...although that said I know plenty of older gamers keen for new Pokémon games when they appear! I aren't one of them though.
Facepalm for the cover. :shock: Never played pokemon. Think the yellow cover is the worst of them, which is a shame as a subscriber :D

On the plus side the magazine content looks good!

How about a game screenshot quiz? Amiga, DOS, Megadrive and Commodore 64.

BiNMaN

Post by BiNMaN » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:26 am

I've got this mag from issue 1 with all the pullouts, cover dvd's etc (issue one signed by Martyn) there's even a binder, now I have a devalued collection and I'm feeling a little deflated

just a few things I'd like to get off my chest:-

where's was the consideration the offer of all 4 copies to subscribers that have a complete collection?

it feels like a marketing ploy to sell more magazines

how the hell am I going to source the other copies, I haven't seen it on any shelves for years now ar0und Stoke-on-Trent (unless WH Smith still stock it but I don't go in there)

I take it that looking at the tag line 'first split run' we can assume there will be more to come

I now want to get rid off my collection and cancel my subscription because I have always wanted to collect a magazine that I enjoy reading (missed out on collecting the likes of crash etc in my youth because I was only allowed the odd copy) and for me if I can't collect it i don't want to read it anymore

I've been a little disillusioned with the retro scene for a while now and was slowly coming back around to enjoying it again, not now this has put the last nail in the coffin for me I just want to get rid of the lot and stick with current gen gaming

Thanks

I may calm down and continue but at the moment I just don't really know

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:42 am

psj3809 wrote:
ianpmarks wrote:The cover is awful... It makes me sorry I resubscribed. I hate Chinpokemon, and Pikachu is the worst. It is clear the orange dragon thing cover is best, i wanted that one.

As for content it's not striking me as a belter of an issue. But actually reading it may change my mind.
Seems a bit OTT. I'm no pokemon fan at all but never in 130+ issues has thee been one cover which ive hated so much I've regretted subscribing !
It was slightly tongue in cheek....
As to the cunning plan i won't be swapping my magazine as i bin them once read. Sacriledge i know.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:44 am

Oh, it's Pikachu. oh, er yay?

And guys complaining about variant covers- you should try collecting comics by IDW, most issues have at least 3 different covers, and some issues have up to 6.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:57 am

Well, there you go! Sat in the lounge to read my Pikachu mag expecting my kids to laugh at me and my eldest daughter exclaimed with glee... 'OH WOW! Pokemon. My boyfriend is completely mad for anything Pokemon' :? They are both 17.

I suppose my problem with it is Pokemon to me was just a load of plushy toys my kids played with as little kids - I never really touched the games. Will have a read of the article though.

Can't understand all this 'cancel my sub, I'm jumping off a cliff, end of the world' stuff though! A little OTT maybe?
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:06 am

I'd have been happier if the subscriber issue just had all the covers, one after the other at the frontof the mag, rather than a 'special' cover that happens to be the worst one.

That way the subs don't 'miss out' on a cover and can gaze upon whichever they prefer ( or pull out the offending ones they don't like).

No doubt there are a few completionists who would just see this as yet another variant who'd want the stand alone cover issues too, but a subscriber discount on those from the online shop would go some way to appeasing them.

At the very least, I'd have liked an option to log in as a sub and choose the cover I wanted instead of just being thrown the random crappy one I've got.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

BiNMaN

Post by BiNMaN » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:40 am

markopoloman wrote:Can't understand all this 'cancel my sub, I'm jumping off a cliff, end of the world' stuff though! A little OTT maybe?
Probably it is but as I say I now no longer have a complete collection which is really important to me (can't justify spending £15 we only have one income, I don't drink on a regular basis and i don't smoke so this is my guilty sin as it were), so if I do get rid of them and as much as enjoy reading some parts of the magazine why suffer the pain and indignity of continuing to subscribe only to remind myself that they're gone.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:45 am

So this only started arriving with subscribers yesterday, hasn't even hit the shelves yet & already it has more feedback than last month's issue which has been out for er, a month!

Never underestimate the power of a cover.
BiNMaN wrote:
markopoloman wrote:Can't understand all this 'cancel my sub, I'm jumping off a cliff, end of the world' stuff though! A little OTT maybe?
Probably it is but as I say I now no longer have a complete collection which is really important to me (can't justify spending £15 we only have one income, I don't drink on a regular basis and i don't smoke so this is my guilty sin as it were), so if I do get rid of them and as much as enjoy reading some parts of the magazine why suffer the pain and indignity of continuing to subscribe only to remind myself that they're gone.
...or you could just have a collection that has ALL of the content of every issue, without some of the cover variants. :?
Last edited by the_hawk on Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:48 am

I always get mine early and still haven't had my copy arrive :cry:

BiNMaN

Post by BiNMaN » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:10 am

the_hawk wrote:So this only started arriving with subscribers yesterday, hasn't even hit the shelves yet & already it has more feedback than last month's issue which has been out for er, a month!

Never underestimate the power of a cover.
BiNMaN wrote:
...or you could just have a collection that has ALL of the content of every issue, without some of the cover variants. :?
I know I'm being completely childish about it, I've always wanted to collect something and Retro Gamer became that choice. I'd missed out on the likes of Crash as a kid and this mag gave me the same spark of enthusiasm I had back then. Now been ripped away from me, I know it's stupid but it has really, really upset me.

Thing is if I'd been given the offer of buying the other covers I may well have gone for it and made a sacrifice somewhere else, then I would have been given a choice to keep my collection complete or not. This way I have no choice to keep my collection complete that has been taken away from me, it's ridiculous but it hurts.

merman

Post by merman » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:18 am

I enjoyed what was behind the cover. Particularly the Adventuresoft UK company profile.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

quantum

Post by quantum » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:38 am

BiNMaN wrote:Thing is if I'd been given the offer of buying the other covers I may well have gone for it and made a sacrifice somewhere else, then I would have been given a choice to keep my collection complete or not. This way I have no choice to keep my collection complete that has been taken away from me, it's ridiculous but it hurts.
The Imagine shop is selling the non-sub covers. Not sure if you can select which you get, etc, but it's an option.

quantum

Post by quantum » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:40 am

ianpmarks wrote:As to the cunning plan i won't be swapping my magazine as i bin them once read. Sacriledge i know.
Er, couldn't you give 'em to a charity shop or something? :shock:

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:56 am

Lakeside whsmith had all three non-sub covers lunchtime today. Not being into all that collecting business I just bough the one I liked best, the dragon one (as im over 40 don't know the names!)
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:00 pm

BiNMaN wrote:I know I'm being completely childish about it, I've always wanted to collect something and Retro Gamer became that choice. I'd missed out on the likes of Crash as a kid and this mag gave me the same spark of enthusiasm I had back then. Now been ripped away from me, I know it's stupid but it has really, really upset me.

Thing is if I'd been given the offer of buying the other covers I may well have gone for it and made a sacrifice somewhere else, then I would have been given a choice to keep my collection complete or not. This way I have no choice to keep my collection complete that has been taken away from me, it's ridiculous but it hurts.
It's a fair enough emotion, especially if you've been collecting from day one & have that "completists" gene.

The problem is that it was inevitable that this would happen, in this day & age where print media is a dying form mags have to use whatever means they can up up their circulation, like when Games tm had the 100 different covers, I think that's the only issue I've ever bought. I'm surprised it's taken RG this long to do something like this to be honest, but at least they didn't do ALL 719 Pokemon!
quantum wrote:Er, couldn't you give 'em to a charity shop or something? :shock:
That's what I do these days, but I hadn't realised that our local Cancer Research shop bins any mags they get..that means dozens of my old mags have been chucked!!

Now I give 'em to the local Hospice shop.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue