Retro Gamer - Issue 135

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Megamixer

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 135

Post by Megamixer » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:02 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:The pikachu cover is the subscriber cover.
That's alright then as the Charizard one is my favourite. Must try harder to recruit me as a sub :wink:

Looking forward to reading the article myself as I was an avid Pokemon fan then stopped playing completely after the first DS game so it will be interesting to catch up on the evolution of the series after that.

Also - just thought - the mag having this cover might make it sell out a lot quicker in the mainstream shops such as WHSmith so I might not be so lazy about picking this one up despite being 2 issues behind :oops:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:59 pm

I genuinely don't get Pokemon. It has just never appealed to me. The cartoons appear to be full of screeching kids, and the "monsters" look like stuffed toys.
Maybe I was just that bit too old for it.

Charco

Post by Charco » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:31 pm

King of Fighters! Great to see more love for the Neo Geo these last few months!

Edit: AND more Turbografx 16/PC Engine coverage! My prayers have been answered!

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:33 am

r0jaws wrote:I genuinely don't get Pokemon. It has just never appealed to me. The cartoons appear to be full of screeching kids, and the "monsters" look like stuffed toys.
Maybe I was just that bit too old for it.
Yeah same for me. The craze seemed to be more appealing to younger kids...although that said I know plenty of older gamers keen for new Pokémon games when they appear! I aren't one of them though. They may well be brilliant games though. The feature should be interesting to learn the history.
Certainly the TG/PCE stuff is what really interests me particularly in this issue :)

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:32 am

Same here. I was too old for Pokemon. Tried the games on an emulator and just don't 'get it'. Game obviously sold tons so this issue may be popular for slightly younger gamers who were caught up in the craze back then.

So the issues average for me as I have no interest in Pokemon, sure many will like it. Like the Defender article a lot. Would like more arcade stuff in the mag though

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:47 am

markopoloman wrote:Fingers crossed I don't get the Pikachu one! The wife would really rip it out of me with that on the cover! :oops:
Replace wife with workmates and you have my situation.
Thoughts and prayers.

NickLoTurco10

Post by NickLoTurco10 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:59 pm

Please let the next months edition have a Christmas cover.......this months held almost no interest for me at all so I'm hoping for a good one next time around :)
Please visit my blog page http://www.hitthesport.wordpress.com

Amiga 1200, Blizzard IV, WHDload-massive!

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:00 pm

Mine arrived today - don't know sh*t about Pokemon and don't really want to but page 78 is almost worth the price alone :lol: :lol:
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:21 pm

The cover is awful... It makes me sorry I resubscribed. I hate Chinpokemon, and Pikachu is the worst. It is clear the orange dragon thing cover is best, i wanted that one.

As for content it's not striking me as a belter of an issue. But actually reading it may change my mind.

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:24 pm

An average issue for me, I'm looking forward to next months more.
David Braben on all the Elite games, A1200, Cauldron, much more up my street.

I've never played Pokemon so the cover doesn't do anything for me.

Scapegoat

Post by Scapegoat » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:36 pm

While Pokemon passed me by, being the old fart that I am, I really like the subscriber cover, it gave me a warm sunny feeling on a nasty cold day.
HADDOCKEN!

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:48 pm

Bub&Bob wrote:Mine arrived today - don't know sh*t about Pokemon and don't really want to but page 78 is almost worth the price alone :lol: :lol:
Indeed! I know he likes bird spotting, but dressing up like one is one step too far! :lol: :lol:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:30 am

ianpmarks wrote:The cover is awful... It makes me sorry I resubscribed. I hate Chinpokemon, and Pikachu is the worst. It is clear the orange dragon thing cover is best, i wanted that one.

As for content it's not striking me as a belter of an issue. But actually reading it may change my mind.
Seems a bit OTT. I'm no pokemon fan at all but never in 130+ issues has thee been one cover which ive hated so much I've regretted subscribing !

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:35 am

I received my copy yesterday and yes I too would have preferred the Charizard cover but from a game point of view it makes more sense to give the subscribers the special Pikachu edition cover.
I've not had chance to read any of it yet, only flick through a few pages.

Personally I'm looking forward to reading the Pokémon article as it was a big part of my school years, I even had Red imported from the US for at least 6 months prior to the UK receiving it (my younger brother getting the blue version) which did put me at a very unfair advantage when my friends finally received the UK versions :lol:

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:46 am

stvd wrote:Wow! Now I wish I had a subscription! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
ianpmarks wrote: It is clear the orange dragon thing cover is best, i wanted that one.