Retro Gamer - Issue 135

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Megamixer

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 135

Post by Megamixer » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:33 pm

dwitefry wrote:but can I just (and I know I've just come back on the forum) address the box-outs and how numerous and tenuous they're getting? The Duck Hunt feature (that was 135 right?) was more box-out than article, and they are stretching it with relevance, it's getting so it'll be 'hey, this game has pixels, here's some more games that have pixels' and I'm beginning to find my overall opinion of the each issue being affected by them (which is more my obsessive issues than anything else, I grant you), however I've got the feeling that I'm completely alone on this issue and will look like a madman, so I apologise for that, and for having a moan - and I'm clearly still going to buy the next issue, and the issue after that, and the issue after that...I just wanted to vent I think.
I have to admit that I've noticed the same thing. Sometimes the box-outs do work but usually only when they're in the vein of "more games like this" (the similar games in the Pokemon article was a good one) as they genuinely show games that you may be interested in playing if you've enjoyed the article.

Some however seem to there just for the sake of it such as the aforementioned Duck Hunt article in which roughly a third of the whole piece were loosely-linked box-outs.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Mero

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 135

Post by Mero » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:40 am

I totally agree, they should calm down with the "here's 5 more things" box-outs.