Retro Gamer - Issue 135

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

crusto

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 135

Post by crusto » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:11 pm

gman72 wrote: I'll have a pint of Norfolk Pride and we can talk about what snacks are retro :wink:
Technically sandwiches are as retro as big macs.
John Montagu has just turned in his grave. :shock:

Eat your nans pants

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:46 pm

Is drinking real ale retro?

I reckon party 7 is....
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

joefish

Post by joefish » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:38 pm

gman72 wrote:Technically sandwiches are as retro as big macs.
Well, according to the Daily Heil, no-one in Britain knows how to make a sandwich any more, so it probably needs a bit of coverage somewhere. :lol:

Charco

Post by Charco » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:36 pm

My copy finally arrived in the post today. Never played Pokémon but love the cover and look forward to reading about it, that's the point of the magazine, right?

Also, was delighted to see my comment on my favourite PC Engine game published :D Delighted!

Whatzername

Post by Whatzername » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:18 am

[quote="Charco"]My copy finally arrived in the post today. Never played Pokémon but love the cover and look forward to reading about it, that's the point of the magazine, right?quote]

I think so too. It's fun to learn new things :)

Confessor

Post by Confessor » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:50 am

I loved the Minority Report of Creativision games...I think that the mag should cover more often those lesser known systems (and we're still waitin' for a TI99 retroinspection), and I'm happy to see that Microvision will be covered in next issue.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:07 pm

Weakest issue in a long time for me. I'm not interested in Pokemon at all, and skipped the article entirely, I get their popularity but I hope not to see the word "Pokemon" on RG for a while now :twisted: Fighting Games are not my cup of tea and I found both the KoF and the Defender articles too long and somehow boring.
The Tommy Tallarico interview wasn't bad but I've played pretty much nothing he's worked on, while the Raffaele Cecco interview was definitely good (and I'm not saying that because we share our first name :lol: )

All in all, the best parts were the PC Engine (great machine that would deserve more space) 25th, the Creativision Minority Report and the Halo article. Roll on next issue.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:08 pm

Glad so many people liked the TurboGrafx and CreatiVision articles :D

Charco

Post by Charco » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:49 pm

Definitely, more PC Engine (in all its guises) please!

sem

Post by sem » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:10 pm

Just want to say, the Defender feature. Best thing I've read for a while. More like that please.

sem

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:15 pm

The Defender feature I felt was an odd one.
Well written and interesting,but didn't live up to its title. Called Defender a Legacy it was essentially an article about Defender but not much else. The title made me think it would be more about games that followed Defender, but that was relegated to a boxout.
As i say good article but not quite as billed.

sem

Post by sem » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:19 pm

ianpmarks wrote:The Defender feature I felt was an odd one.
Well written and interesting,but didn't live up to its title. Called Defender a Legacy it was essentially an article about Defender but not much else. The title made me think it would be more about games that followed Defender, but that was relegated to a boxout.
As i say good article but not quite as billed.
It was a good article. And I also liked Tron: Legacy, even though Tron wasn't actually in it. Much. :)

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:28 pm

ianpmarks wrote:The Defender feature I felt was an odd one. Well written and interesting,but didn't live up to its title. Called Defender a Legacy it was essentially an article about Defender but not much else. The title made me think it would be more about games that followed Defender, but that was relegated to a boxout. As i say good article but not quite as billed.
To clarify, Defender's legacy, from my standpoint, isn't just a list of games, which would have been a quite boring listicle that you could get online via a quick Google search. My intention after Darran asked me to write the piece was to ask those involved in Defender and those inspired by it why they thought the game had such impact and therefore what its legacy was in a broad sense, much of which was the concepts it introduced. Hence the investigation into particle effects, the scanner, and the organic/algorithmic underpinnings of the title, and only then touching on how this affected subsequent games, such as Braybrook's Uridium, Minter's shooters, Dropzone, all the way through to the dev behind Resogun.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:27 am

CraigGrannell wrote:
ianpmarks wrote:The Defender feature I felt was an odd one. Well written and interesting,but didn't live up to its title. Called Defender a Legacy it was essentially an article about Defender but not much else. The title made me think it would be more about games that followed Defender, but that was relegated to a boxout. As i say good article but not quite as billed.
To clarify, Defender's legacy, from my standpoint, isn't just a list of games, which would have been a quite boring listicle that you could get online via a quick Google search. My intention after Darran asked me to write the piece was to ask those involved in Defender and those inspired by it why they thought the game had such impact and therefore what its legacy was in a broad sense, much of which was the concepts it introduced. Hence the investigation into particle effects, the scanner, and the organic/algorithmic underpinnings of the title, and only then touching on how this affected subsequent games, such as Braybrook's Uridium, Minter's shooters, Dropzone, all the way through to the dev behind Resogun.
I wasn't criticising the article. I said it was a good article, and I enjoyed reading it. I just thought it didn't match the title.
I'm sorry you think my idea was boring.

dwitefry

Post by dwitefry » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:56 pm

I love Pokemon (sorry everyone) so was pleased with the issue (except a few names being mispelt *I am nerd!*) and thought the covers were a great idea, but can I just (and I know I've just come back on the forum) address the box-outs and how numerous and tenuous they're getting? The Duck Hunt feature (that was 135 right?) was more box-out than article, and they are stretching it with relevance, it's getting so it'll be 'hey, this game has pixels, here's some more games that have pixels' and I'm beginning to find my overall opinion of the each issue being affected by them (which is more my obsessive issues than anything else, I grant you), however I've got the feeling that I'm completely alone on this issue and will look like a madman, so I apologise for that, and for having a moan - and I'm clearly still going to buy the next issue, and the issue after that, and the issue after that...I just wanted to vent I think.