Discuss 136: What do you consider "retro"?

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Hiro

Re: Discuss 136: What do you consider "retro"?

Post by Hiro » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:30 am

gman72 wrote:I think this debate does give a definitive answer to the question of what is retro?
Retro is whatever an individual thinks it is, and as Joefish says debating one persons opinion is as pointless as debating why they like coffee and not tea. :D
Exactly, I can look up at the definition of the word "cat" in the dictionary, but my cat gives me much more than that definition, and that is absolutely personal. I think this is what this topic is about and what's making it an interesting read.

Personally I'm pretty sure I'll keep considering "true" retro only machines before the 32 bit, 3D era even when the PS4 and the XBox One will be relics of the past.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:22 am

It is always a laugh hearing what young kids define as retro...and certainly does prove how subjective the topic is.

MikeFishcake

Post by MikeFishcake » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:09 pm

kiwimike wrote:
gman72 wrote:I think this debate does give a definitive answer to the question of what is retro?
Retro is whatever an individual thinks it is, and as Joefish says debating one persons opinion is as pointless as debating why they like coffee and not tea. :D
No arguement. Tea sucks :wink:
Actually, I think you'll find *goes off into an intelligible rant*

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:42 pm

kiwimike wrote:It is always a laugh hearing what young kids define as retro...and certainly does prove how subjective the topic is.
I don't get why its funny finding out what kids think is retro.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:20 pm

kids are simply funny. My 2 year old named her new cuddly rabbit teddy Skidmark. Cracked me up no end.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:12 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:
kiwimike wrote:It is always a laugh hearing what young kids define as retro...and certainly does prove how subjective the topic is.
I don't get why its funny finding out what kids think is retro.
I'm guessing he's not rolling round on the floor guffawing at the fact that a kid thinks some games on the XBox360 or last year's FIFA are retro, I'd say funny interesting, rather than funny ha ha.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

crusto

Post by crusto » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:46 pm

Yeah, that's the impression I got too. So much can be lost in type... It's too black and white!

Eat your nans pants

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:09 pm

To be fair the rabbit called skidmarks is way funnier :D

TNT

Post by TNT » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:55 pm

15 years is a long time, and the Dreamcast is coming into that now.

That covers it for me.

There should probably be some different tags for different era's, but it really depends how well it catches on.

quantum

Post by quantum » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:30 pm

For most people it's tied to the systems you played in your formative years. For me I went to Uni around the launch of the PS1 and major shift to 3D. I never had a desire to play those games, therefore, anything before that is retro to me. :)

However, if I was born 5 years later then the PS1 would have had a bigger impact and I'm sure I would class it as retro. So if someone else does then that's fine.

necronom wrote:Image
I agree. The major shift from 2D to 3D - where publishers insisted everything had to be 3D - can be regarded as the dividing line... 8)

How about a game screenshot quiz? Amiga, DOS, Megadrive and Commodore 64.

Gary Plowman

Post by Gary Plowman » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:36 pm

For me its about the bits. 8-bit and 16-bit is retro - 32-bit is still widely used, but being overtaken by 64-bit.
The Micro Kids: An 80s Adventure with ZX Spectrum, Commodore 64 and more
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0993474462/

ZX Spectrum Games Code Club
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0993474403/

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:44 am

necronom wrote:Any game made in the '70 and '80s is Retro, That's easy.
After that it gets complicated. If the game is 3D it's almost certainly not a retro game in my eyes, though some very early ones could count (Wolfenstein 3D, Alien Breed 3D). The whole Amiga catalogue is on the limit of Retro. Not 'Proper Retro', but mostly Retro. I can live with Amiga games being called Retro.

More generally, if it plays like a modern game with worse graphics, it isn't a retro game. So Quake, Metal Gear Solid, Doom 3, Half-Life, etc are just the same as modern games, so not retro.

I made this a while back, which demonstrated what I think of retro in one simple image:

This. Just like every time we're asked this.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:32 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
necronom wrote:Any game made in the '70 and '80s is Retro, That's easy.
After that it gets complicated. If the game is 3D it's almost certainly not a retro game in my eyes, though some very early ones could count (Wolfenstein 3D, Alien Breed 3D). The whole Amiga catalogue is on the limit of Retro. Not 'Proper Retro', but mostly Retro. I can live with Amiga games being called Retro.

More generally, if it plays like a modern game with worse graphics, it isn't a retro game. So Quake, Metal Gear Solid, Doom 3, Half-Life, etc are just the same as modern games, so not retro.

I made this a while back, which demonstrated what I think of retro in one simple image:

This. Just like every time we're asked this.
and everytime you're still wrong... :wink: sorry mate but i cant resist it :lol:
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:14 pm

For me anything up until the Dreamcast or around the year 2000 period. I'd almost be tempted to go as far as PS2, but they were still making mainstream new games for it up until recently (yes I know the DC also has been getting its special one offs). I grew up in the 8 & 16 bit era so that will always be my true retro era, but I think once something is no longer commercially produced for and is over taken by at least 2 new generations then its become retro.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

lavalyte

Post by lavalyte » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:58 am

"Whatever I was playing when I was 12".
This is applicable to people of all ages.
'I have nothing but the greatest respect for other peoples' crackpot beliefs' - Sam The Eagle.