Issue 134

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

merman

Re: Issue 134

Post by merman » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:19 pm

Really enjoyed the Medal of Honour piece, and a shame the Wasteland feature was so short.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:57 pm

Mmmm... and I wanted the Fred Harris piece to be longer too :)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:03 pm

Better than the last 2 issues in my opinion.
Liking the Saturn, Softaid, collectors, scary games, c128 articles.

We need a replacement for Back to the Eighties as i really like those pages, just the nineties is no good. Lets have back to the 60's, 70's or 00's. Something though, as i really enjoy Mr Burtons writing.

More unconverted and minority report... Both of those could be twice as long each month as they are really some of the best stuff in the mag.

Still too much coloured text on photos/coloured backgrounds for my liking but thats personal opinion (and more than likely my ageing eyes) but i can't be the only one struggling. Photo captions on some articles are impossible to my eyesight.

Didn't really like the Batman article, but I'm not a big Batman game fan, so no surprises there.
Warioware deserves a longer article.

Those are my ramblings on the mag so far.

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:49 pm

How have you all got copies so early?

Very annoying.....

Mine hasn't arrived yet...

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:13 am

I received my issue yesterday but have only had time to flick through it.

A few comments from the little bit I've read...

- Saturn article looks to be a very good read, despite owning a PS1 during the 'war' I played a lot of Saturn at a friends house (Jap import I might add) and so was always jealous of some of the titles he had
- I'm glad the 'Granny's Garden' Witch got a mention in the scary games section
- Popils!!! enough said :lol: :mrgreen:

dpg50000

Post by dpg50000 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:43 pm

ianpmarks wrote:Better than the last 2 issues in my opinion.
Liking the Saturn, Softaid, collectors, scary games, c128 articles.

We need a replacement for Back to the Eighties as i really like those pages, just the nineties is no good. Lets have back to the 60's, 70's or 00's. Something though, as i really enjoy Mr Burtons writing.

More unconverted and minority report... Both of those could be twice as long each month as they are really some of the best stuff in the mag.

Still too much coloured text on photos/coloured backgrounds for my liking but thats personal opinion (and more than likely my ageing eyes) but i can't be the only one struggling. Photo captions on some articles are impossible to my eyesight.

Didn't really like the Batman article, but I'm not a big Batman game fan, so no surprises there.
Warioware deserves a longer article.

Those are my ramblings on the mag so far.
Me too, and I have very good eyesight. Red on black, or some of the other colour schemes chosen are impossible to read without tilting the magazine so the light catches it just right. Been a problem for a few issues now.

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:14 am

Good issue,
Enjoyed the Batman article, the collectors article - wish I'd know that had been written, could have given some input, particularly from the games magazine collecting point of view....and what do you do when you get that final item :)

Never been a huge Saturn person, but found the article interesting. One thing I did learn and was interested to read was this improved version of Rocky Horror Show on the C64, this is one of my all time fav C64 games, I'd only ever played the pretty colourless version, I am so so going to have to find this improved colour version and play it now.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:51 am

Enjoyed the Saturn article - a good read - a console I know nothing about and have never played.

Agree with the text colours - this has happened a few times of late - I even find the white on black hard to read at times. And I never used to need to read the mag with mu glasses!
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Boulder

Post by Boulder » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:45 am

A good issue in my opinion, lots of stuff to actually read and not just browse through.

I agree with Merman, the Wasteland article was way too short, maybe the first two Fallout games could have been covered as well as they are closely related?

Reading the Origin Systems article reminded me that I must request for an article on the making of Space Rogue - please? A great, forgotten game.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:18 pm

Nice issue! I loved the SoftAid article, I was not aware of that at the time, really loved the premise of that, fantastic to read about. Medal of Honor, fantastic, my all-time favourite PS1 game and a great article too. Scariest moments.. gooood but I came up with so many more as I was reading, but it was fun nonetheless.

Enjoyable issue, well done once again guys!

fozmcfc

Post by fozmcfc » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:44 pm

A decent issue, with plenty to read.

I like the C128 minority report, brings back memories of when I used to buy cheap games from the market, for my C64. I was very embarrassed when I went to pay for Rocky Horror Show and it was pointed out it was for the C128 and I hadn't noticed :oops:

Also in the article, I see War Of The Worlds, gets a slating, I loved that game. Me and a mate, would listen to the album while playing it. My mate, swears there was a C64 version, but I think it was planned, but never released.

I agree, that something needs to replace back to the 80's, with the loss of Iain Lee's column a while back, two of my favourite sections have now gone.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:02 pm

SoftAid: Wasn't Gilligan's Gold an Ocean game and not a US gold one?

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:05 pm

Just finished the issue. First thing: I miss Back to the 80s a lot, I know they've been covered for years, but are we sure there's no material for another lap? I really liked it :(
Very interesting article on Softaid and the C128 Minority Report was interesting too! About Wasteland: since it was a multi-format release, why only PC screenshots? I know it's not a game that relied on graphics, but when a game covered is multi-format screenshots from the various platforms would always be a good thing :!:
Excellent Saturn and Batman articles too, Batman could have been even longer IMO, with some more screenshots/comparison among the different games on different platforms. The "Gaming Obsession" article is not my cup of tea at all, while the "scariest moments" was enjoyable.

Good issue, keep it up!

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

dpg50000

Post by dpg50000 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:47 am

Hiro wrote:Just finished the issue. First thing: I miss Back to the 80s a lot, I know they've been covered for years, but are we sure there's no material for another lap? I really liked it :(
Very interesting article on Softaid and the C128 Minority Report was interesting too! About Wasteland: since it was a multi-format release, why only PC screenshots? I know it's not a game that relied on graphics, but when a game covered is multi-format screenshots from the various platforms would always be a good thing :!:
Excellent Saturn and Batman articles too, Batman could have been even longer IMO, with some more screenshots/comparison among the different games on different platforms. The "Gaming Obsession" article is not my cup of tea at all, while the "scariest moments" was enjoyable.

Good issue, keep it up!
Agreed on the Batman article - it felt surprisingly abrupt. Also agree about "Back to the 80s" as it was one of my favourite sections. Hopefully, they can dig out some extra material, or maybe do a year or two from the late 70's when Atari 2600 and Arcade machines were starting to gain popularity.

Confessor

Post by Confessor » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:53 am

just two things: could the spider-related game in the letter page be Scorpion ? I remember there were insects spinning webs and it was an horizontal shooter. And, that "Commandy the last boy on earth" was actually "Kamandi the last boy on earth" by the King of Comics Jack Kirby.

Here's a video of Scorpion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gdESjWPpmg