Discuss 135: Do you emulate and why do you do it?

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

PaulEMoz

Re: Discuss 135: Do you emulate and why do you do it?

Post by PaulEMoz » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:42 pm

markopoloman wrote:I've used and loved emulators for yonks. But over the past couple of years I've been using the real thing more often than not. I get a shiver down my spine every time the loading music starts up on a C64 game!
I must admit that's hard to beat... I use .tap files when I'm playing just to play the game for fun so I can still have the loading experience. :)

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:53 pm

Is it me or does the thread title kinda have a negative vibe to it?

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:33 pm

Not really, seems pretty neutral to me.

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:53 pm

After I bought a PC a long time ago, discovering I could emulate long forgotten arcade games through MAME was absolutely fantastic. I'd happily still pay to play them in arcades even now if they were there but this is the next best thing.

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:17 am

I don't ever emulate console games, as it is never the same as playing the actual game with the original controller - its only ever an approximation.

However, with PC/DOS games, I emulate. Firstly, I can run them on my Mac, and secondly, keeping old PC's around to run games on takes too much room, and thirdly, modern GOG/Steam emulated PC/DOS games have all the memory and driver problems solved, so you don't have to spend hours on end just trying to get a game to load.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:37 am

antsbull wrote:I don't ever emulate console games, as it is never the same as playing the actual game with the original controller - its only ever an approximation.
What if you emulate using the actual controller?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

necronom

Post by necronom » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:26 am

antsbull wrote:I don't ever emulate console games, as it is never the same as playing the actual game with the original controller.
With most consoles (ones with only d-pads) I'd only ever emulate, so I can avoid the controllers. That's a big part of why I never got another console after the VCS, until the PS1 got the analogue sticks.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

tapmantwo

Post by tapmantwo » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:58 pm

I do both. Generally I'll use the emulator if

1) I want a quick go and can't be bothered to wait 10 minutes for the (cassette) game to load up. This might be just to kill some time, or because I want to check something, or because I've read something in a certain magazine and it's made me feel all nostalgic.

2) If a game seems to be expensive to buy, I'll often "try before I buy" with an emulator to work out whether I want to spend the money. I'm pretty tight, so the limit for this isn't that high!

3) If I want to have "Save Games" when they weren't available originally. I'm pretty rubbish at games, so this helps me a lot.

That said, I prefer the real thing by a long way, and my collection is starting to get quite impressive now :) Whilst some of them don't scale up to well on new TVs, using the original controllers etc is just so much better.

And who doesn't love blowing the cartridges and aligning the tape heads anyway?

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:49 pm

I emulate for 8-bit development as it's far quicker to make small changes and re-test them, and on the real machine it's all too easy to crash it and lose all your work.

TMR

Post by TMR » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:17 pm

joefish wrote:I emulate for 8-bit development as it's far quicker to make small changes and re-test them, and on the real machine it's all too easy to crash it and lose all your work.
Yup, completely agree with this; do the long haul stuff under emulation and then throw it at a real machine for testing to make sure the emulator wasn't lying about anything. =-)

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:28 am

I got back into retro gaming through Emulation. I used them for a little while and then picked up an old MD and Snes. Since then I have never touched it.

Main reason being is that the games felt like they had no substance to them, they were just big lists of games that I flicked from one to the other. I know I will never own the likes of earthbound, but I am ok with that. I have more than eough games to play anyway and I much prefer the excitement of picking up a disc/cart and then physically playing it. Because I have paid for it and actualy own it, the compulsion to play through it is much higher for me.

General Opulence

Post by General Opulence » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:01 am

I do both, and both have their postive's and negative's

For Emulation;
Cheaper, no need to buy and collect hundreds of games.
Less hassle/No wires, plugs etc.
Doesn't take up rooms with countless hardware, controlllers, games etc.
Play games you never would have (i.e mame or import games)
Play some games the way they were meant to be played (i.e N64 games at 60hz, no borders)
Get to save the game in most cases anywhere in the game.

Against Emulation;
You don't play the game through as if you would if you owned it. (too many choice's to play)
No emulator is 100% perfect, most are good enough to play but either small graphical issues, refresh rates off or sound not perfect.
You don't get the proper control method (yes you can buy some usb pads, but certainly not many of the originals).
You don't get to collect and own the games, look at manuals, art etc.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:50 am

Sure, for space, money and praticality reason. But for all the systems I've ever owned I stick to the real thing, with a bit of "modern help" (like 1541 Ultimate for the C64).

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

yakmag

Post by yakmag » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:59 pm

Mine is purely for space reasons.

In my youngers days (ie before marriage) no issues with having a couple of systems under the telly.

Now my 'other half has umbridge with my gear (to be fair, it does take up alot of space and it can look a bit of mess) under the telly, so hence emulation being my way forward.

Don't get me wrong, when she works nights (she is a nurse) I do get the opportunity to fire up the C64 and wallow in nostalgia, as long as it's all squared away by the time she gets back, all is quiet on the western front!!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:34 pm

I emulate as many of the older games are still so playable, obviously you get the great memories from yesteryear as well. I dont have the space or time for all the machines and to load games up the traditional way anymore. Also emulation allows me to try many older games or systems i might have skipped when i was a kid. Due to emulation retro gaming is huge, I dont believe Retro Gamer would exist if it wasnt for fans of emulation. Thanks to emulator authors they've kept these old games 'alive', years ago many of these old MAME classics or Spectrum games were just 'dead'. Because of emulation lots of companies made a lot of money by re-releasing old games or packaging them together as they then realised there was a market for some old classics 20 years later which were previously gathering dust.

All these years later i like to be totally legal and buy games (Eg on my iphone i have legit copies of R-Type etc) but its frustrating when so many classics aren't released and are 'gathering dust' as many titles seem to be stuck in a legal nightmare of who owns what and copyright issues. Allow me to buy the old classic game and i'll buy it, if not i'll emulate it.