Discuss 135: Do you emulate and why do you do it?

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Treguard

Re: Discuss 135: Do you emulate and why do you do it?

Post by Treguard » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:17 pm

I'm a big fan of emulation. For me it's about convenience and ease of use- if I read about a game in Retro Gamer I've never heard of or haven't played that I want to try, I just have to pull out my Pandora, choose the relevant emulator and ROM, and away I go. I own loads of original systems and games, but there's simply not the space or time to get them out every time I fancy a go on something.

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:52 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
antsbull wrote:I don't ever emulate console games, as it is never the same as playing the actual game with the original controller - its only ever an approximation.
What if you emulate using the actual controller?
I've never tried that, so not really sure. The old stuff I play is pretty much only Nintendo or PC based - and just popping a cartridge in and going is nice and simple, so I prefer it over emulation. I wouldn't even know how to get ROM dumps of the Nintendo games anyway.

Having said that, I do have a yearning to get back into using emulators so I can try out some of the classic C64 games - previously I've used Vice with an X-Arcade joystick board hooked up to it, and that worked quite well.

PanzerGeneral

Post by PanzerGeneral » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:54 pm

I use emulation mainly for programming or testing code, it does help that you can run more than one environment at a time on a PC.
For most classic computing experiences you cannot beat the real thing, I would use my real stuff even more if I had the room to hook them all up at the same time, due to limitations I tend to keep one main machine set up and rotate a couple of favourites every so often.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:45 am

Of course I emulate!
With a good emulator you can script your edit-assemble-test cycle into a smooth working machine that makes developing a joy.
It is also so much easier to try things by simply clicking on them on a web page or similar.

But for that real feel you need a 15KHz monitor with proper phosphor glow and proper joysticks. Feel free to emulate your storage media though...

WoodyCG

Post by WoodyCG » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:49 am

Absolutely love emulation - I know it doesn't give you the 100% authentic feel of using the original hardware but it is certainly good enough for my needs.

Still remember my tentative steps onto the internet - using an AOL CD and 33.6k modem - and discovering MAME for the first time. Totally blew me away that I
could play absolutely arcade perfect versions of arcade games like 1942 and Ghosts N Goblins - the future had arrived!

These days I use it to check out games which have caught my eye - usually because of an article in retro gamer - and sometimes out of pure nostalgia for the games
and systems I used to own.

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:38 am

For me, original is always best, particularly with cartridge formats as they tend not fail unlike cassette/disc with age.

I think I was lucky enough to buy pretty much all cartridges I need/want when they were affordable so like the originalness, yes its space consuming but I have a loft to put it in. With older tape/disk formats I don't mind so much emulation, as they load quicker, they are preserved and back in the day, I don't think its was so uncommon to have copied games, so maybe that's why I don't mind so much playing those games on emulation.

For arcade stuff, I found the fail rate with PCBs was high and it was money going down the drain, I would certainly welcome an emulation set up on that front, I have an empty cab ready for it, its just what to put in it now is my dilemma.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

dave3622

Post by dave3622 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:33 pm

I use the MAME emulator regularly. As a huge fan of the classic 80's Arcade games it's wonderful to be able to play them again and use cheats to complete the ones you found difficult back in the day.

TNT

Post by TNT » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:09 pm

Emulate hell no wherever possible. Emulators are never perfect.

Thanks to the likes of devices like the Everdrive, SD2snes and the like. I can keep the carts Pristine on the shelf in the boxes. I can play games that are too hideously expensive to buy on the actual consoles. I can also keep my Jap RPG's that do have translations stock original carts. I can play the translations off the the rom carts rather than modify the carts with different roms.

The best thing about emulators is not having to worry about region coding. I have always had a mod chips in my PS1 and Saturn days, an region moded my consoles where feasable, so I could play games mostly how they where ment to be played at 60hz. I normally prefer US version of games when there is any region protection on PAL versions or like most PS1, PS2 games PAL games always play in the PAL video mode without patching or bootdiscs, other where optimised and play too fast. Thankfully this isn't such a problem in modern consoles

The only other time I use an Emulator, is to quickly check the any region coding issues with the original rom's before I buy.

I haven't really got into MAME yet.

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:40 pm

If i actually owned all the games I emulate I'd have to live in a castle. Okay you can have a games room for your home systems if your lucky, but where's the arcade gonna go?

Weirdly I quite enjoy setting up me emulators, getting them to work can sometimes be quite hard. PacifiST an Atari St emulator on the PC was the first one I messed around with and I've always enjoyed emulators since. Hmm...
Scott me up beamie!

Gary Plowman

Post by Gary Plowman » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:31 pm

I emulate so I can play systems I've never even seen in the shops.
Also lately I've been thinking about having a real 48k Speccy again...*nostalgic sigh*
The Micro Kids: An 80s Adventure with ZX Spectrum, Commodore 64 and more
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0993474462/

ZX Spectrum Games Code Club
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0993474403/

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:46 am

Scratch_Porkings wrote:If i actually owned all the games I emulate I'd have to live in a castle. Okay you can have a games room for your home systems if your lucky, but where's the arcade gonna go?

Weirdly I quite enjoy setting up me emulators, getting them to work can sometimes be quite hard. PacifiST an Atari St emulator on the PC was the first one I messed around with and I've always enjoyed emulators since. Hmm...
I had a ZX81 emulator for the Atari ST, I think that was my first. I then went on to run that on PacifiST on my PC, just because I could.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:29 pm

yes. Gaming has to fit in with my life, not the other way round.

Example- I am a master system collector, the rarest games list are more than the entire income we have for the house for the month. Given a choice between sleeping rough or emulating smurfs 2, I'll choose emulation and I wont ever be ashamed to say it.

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:31 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Scratch_Porkings wrote:If i actually owned all the games I emulate I'd have to live in a castle. Okay you can have a games room for your home systems if your lucky, but where's the arcade gonna go?

I had a ZX81 emulator for the Atari ST, I think that was my first. I then went on to run that on PacifiST on my PC, just because I could.

You went 2 emulators deep, thats hardcore! If you ran a scientific calculator emulator on the spectrum you'd become a 3rd tier emulator paladin, then it gets real...
Scott me up beamie!

jrll

Post by jrll » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:33 pm

Of course.
Emulation is the only form we can play all games of all classic systems and is very useful to discover new classic games that we couldn't play in their moment.

sscott

Post by sscott » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:23 pm

Convenience, used to be more into it than I am now, I will actively try to buy the real game if I really like it, with things like MAME however that is much harder to do! Emulation got me back into collecting and playing retro.