Issue 133

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

psj3809

Issue 133

Post by psj3809 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:50 am

Its that time again !

Front cover is a good Punch-out cover, quick flick through....

Good to see a one page interview with the ex-Wipeout coder who released 'Table top racing' on ios/android, a great little game
Its a knockout - History of punch out. Never played this tons but i did play Frank Brunos Boxing a lot which was obviously inspired by this classic game
Finders Keepers - Ohhh looks good ! Never completed this game, after reading this article i may give this ole cheap classic another go
Bad Dude vs Dragon Ninja
Micro Man - Interview with Fred Harris
Martech games - Looks good
Hard Drivin - Was never a fan but it was pretty huge back then
Amiga 500 - Top 25 - Looking forward to this trip down memory lane. Still feel guilty moving from Sinclair to Commodore back then!
Streets of Rage - A classic beat em up, looks interesting
Turn based strategy - Article on these types of games, looks good. Only one i liked back then was Rebelstar/Laser Squad but years later i do enjoy all the new turn based games you get on iOS etc
Sega 32x - Never had one
Simon Nicol interview - Dont really know of him much but he was C64

Next month Batman (as he turns 75), Sega Saturn, Soft Aid, Alien Crush, C128, Origin Systems, Gamings scariest moments , the collectors

Decent issue for me with a fair bit of Speccy in it

quantum

Re: Issue 133

Post by quantum » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:45 pm

Just turned up in the 2pm post...

Looking forward to reading:
  • Bad Dudes vs Dragon Ninja
  • Micro Man - Interview with Fred Harris
  • Amiga 500 - Top 25
  • Turn based strategy
  • Sega 32x
psj3809 wrote:Decent issue for me
I agree!

psj3809 wrote:with a fair bit of Speccy in it
Yeah, shame about that :)

How about a game screenshot quiz? Amiga, DOS, Megadrive and Commodore 64.

soopytwist

Post by soopytwist » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:09 pm

I want to thank you RG for the interview with Fred Harris. From Play School to Micro Live by way of Chock-A-Block, that man was an almost constant television presence during my childhood. The man is a legend in the same league as Brian Cant, Peter Duncan and Jonny Ball and it was really nice to read about his time on Micro Live and Play School. A shame you didn't mention what he actually does with his time now though.

I have a couple of questions with regards to the feature. Firstly, was he at the museum just to give a talk there and to whom? or was this something for a future television broadcast?

Secondly you say you didn't know Hedy Lamarr co-invented Wi-Fi technology (technically it was frequency hopping she pioneered but same difference)...call yourselves gamers?! I'm surprised you didn't already know this. Why do you think resonance cascade botherer Isaac Kleiner in Half Life 2 named his pet headcrab Lamarr? Headcrab...head...Hedy...geddit? I thought everyone knew this. Admittedly I didn't know this in 2004 when I played Half Life 2, not until I saw a documentary on radio guided rockets a year or two later; but after all this time I thought it was pretty much well known.

Also, great feature on Finders Keepers, love this game - never did finish it though.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:46 pm

I never knew that about the head crab, nice titbit about Half Life II. But then again i dont often watch documentaries on radio guided rockets ;)

soopytwist

Post by soopytwist » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:16 pm

psj3809 wrote:I never knew that about the head crab, nice titbit about Half Life II. But then again i dont often watch documentaries on radio guided rockets ;)
I think it was Horizon on BBC 2, something sciencey as usual. Radio guided rockets was just part of that and Hedy Lamarr was talked about briefly. Although I already knew of her I didn't make the connection between her and Half Life 2 until they mentioned all her frequency hopping shenanigans.

I should also point out the mathematical symbol used when calculating frequencies is lambda...λ

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:52 pm

Just flicked through and saw the Fred Harris piece. Very cool and can't wait to read it but it made me want to dig out Micro Men which I am just about to watch.... :D :D
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:13 pm

Considering most of the tele heroes from the 80's are either dead or disgraced or both, we must cherish the likes of Fred Harris and Jonny Ball while we still have them.

I am delighted to see him in the mag. Nice one.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Mark Wright

Post by Mark Wright » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:49 am

the_hawk wrote:I am delighted to see him in the mag. Nice one.
Perhaps it was just me who needed a magnifying glass in order to achieve this. I was curious to see how the old codger was bearing up these days, so headed for YouTube after reading the article in the hope of viewing some contemporary F-Har, but to no avail. What a pity the article was too short to do either him or Micro Live justice (did RG even run a feature on the recent passing of Mac?) or deem it necessary to elaborate on how/why this all-too brief chat was facilitated. <Troll Helmet on> Perhaps had he extolled the virtues of Super Grand Minecraft of Thrones VI on the X-Wii IOS8, he'd have been given more column-space. </Troll Helmet> I can remember hoping that he'd pop-up somewhere in the BBC FOUR drama Micro Men a few years back...

...which reminds me...

A kickstarter to get Micro Men released on DVD - a proper one, from 2Entertain/BBC Worldwide, with extras and that? Has anyone attempted to do this? I'd do it myself but I don't really know the rules.
Frankly, it's criminal that it doesn't exist to buy officially, even at an inflated price (like everything that appeals to us lot.) Anyone up for helping to get this going? No? I am surprised when you tell me this.
I'm sure its release would be so popular that even the man on the Clapham omnibus would buy one. Shouldn't we be making the most of our establishment connections? Or is the whole idea poppycock?

GameOver

Post by GameOver » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:19 am

Mark Wright wrote:A kickstarter to get Micro Men released on DVD - a proper one, from 2Entertain/BBC Worldwide, with extras and that? Has anyone attempted to do this? I'd do it myself but I don't really know the rules.
Darlow Smithson Productions put it out on DVD for people to buy some time ago.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:52 am

Still reading 132! :lol: which is a great issue IMO

Anyhoo, especially keen to see that 32x feature :)

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:33 am

First issue I've had time to start reading in a while (thanks slow British trains!) - and now I want a 32x more than I did before - and that was LOT.

joefish

Post by joefish » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:33 am

soopytwist wrote:I should also point out the mathematical symbol used when calculating frequencies is lambda...λ
Yes, it's the wavelength of a wave (as opposed to the frequency). But it mainly appears in the game art because it's used to denote the decay constant, which is the rate at which atoms in a radioactive material decay; i.e. the inverse of it's 'Half-Life'. Which is probably slightly more relevant...

As for Micro Men, it hasn't had a DVD release. Some scalper on eBay transferred a recording of it to DVD, but that's not entirely a legitimate release. And you can't start a Kickstarter project for something you don't own the rights to.

merman

Post by merman » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:18 pm

Enjoyed the Punch Out and Streets of Rage features a lot, the epic Bluffer's Guide was good too.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

joefish

Post by joefish » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:41 pm

Well, I haven't read much of it yet, but it looks like another cracking issue where I will be reading every word of every article. There are some great games getting coverage.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:45 pm

The Martech article is absolutely fantastic and I also really enjoyed the Streets Of Rage piece as well.

Was great to see Bad Dudes Vs. Dragon Ninja covered, I loved this game back in the day even if it does play like a steaming pile of poo these days :lol: