From the forum issue 134 - Favourite Saturn game?

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

nakamura

Re: From the forum issue 134 - Favourite Saturn game?

Post by nakamura » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:02 pm

I think the game I have had the most fun with is Elevator Action Returns. It's just brilliant and still feels really unique and playable today.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

tapmantwo

Post by tapmantwo » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:12 pm

I didn't own a Saturn, but I was more than slightly addicted to Baku Baku on my mates.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:40 pm

nakamura wrote:I think the game I have had the most fun with is Elevator Action Returns. It's just brilliant and still feels really unique and playable today.
Had no idea that was even on the Saturn! :)

SonicTheHedgehog

Post by SonicTheHedgehog » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:48 pm

For me it's Nights Into Dreams. There wasn't a game like it before and there hasn't been since with the exception of the inferior sequel on Wii. It's i.m.o how videogames should be and was worth buying a Saturn for. Imaginitive, hugely playable with lots of replay value and brilliant music and sound effects.

There are quite a few others worth mentioning like Guardian Heroes, Saturn Bomberman, Panzer Dragoon Zwei & Saga and Shining Force 3.
The square is a great shape, and one that is criminally underused in modern game design. In the push to ever more granular, chaotic environments, games have lost sight of the simple pleasures of right angles and straight lines.