Discuss Issue 134 Do you collect games (and why do you do it

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

kiwimike

Re: Discuss Issue 134 Do you collect games (and why do you d

Post by kiwimike » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:10 am

I used to, and enjoyed it...But as I have got older I see it for me as more clutter I don't need, so sold and gave it away, and stick to a limited collection I enjoy, and collect for one system for fun. But for the most part I prefer to read and watch books/mags/DVDs on the subject, and enjoy art based on the classic gaming eras.
But I do enjoy reading and seeing features of others gaming collections. :)

merman

Post by merman » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:03 pm

I collect games to play what I missed in the past. And the pick up & play nature of many retro games makes it easier to have a quick session, compared to modern games with updates, multiple buttons and endless cutscenes...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Achilles

Post by Achilles » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:54 pm

It started off as nostalgia for me. Getting the computers and consoles and playing games I had when I was a kid.
But reading retro gamer showed me loads of good games I missed out on so they soon become part of my collection and it continues to grow.
And the way prices keep going up on ebay I will make a tidy sum when the time comes to sell as well.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:47 am

I used to collect games, used to pick up a lot of games which i had as a kid. BUT now i dont use the hardware, i use emulation so all those tapes are just sat there doing nothing (so ebay it is). I think its quite dangerous being a retro fan and being obsessed/addicted to collecting, just games/machines sat there on a wall doing nothing. Seems such a waste

With less and less free time (kids etc) emulation is great

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:14 am

psj3809 wrote:I used to collect games, used to pick up a lot of games which i had as a kid. BUT now i dont use the hardware, i use emulation so all those tapes are just sat there doing nothing (so ebay it is). I think its quite dangerous being a retro fan and being obsessed/addicted to collecting, just games/machines sat there on a wall doing nothing. Seems such a waste

With less and less free time (kids etc) emulation is great
Agree, I love MAME. All the classic arcaders without too much space taken :)

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:39 am

I guess I do collect, I buy something to play and then keep it.

I originally wanted to have basically everything I had as a kid and the stuff I wanted but couldn't get (there was no internet shopping in the 80's and 90's), then the more I got into the retro scene I found lots more I wanted, and of course I couldn't remember exactly what I had 20-25 years ago

Ryan_McN

Post by Ryan_McN » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:34 pm

I collect, although not as much as I used to.

With ebay and online trading sites, it can be quite addictive hunting down games and receiving them in the post. I found though that I was buying for the sake of buying, I wasn't playing these games I was purchasing.

I like retro box art and that is something which can't be enjoyed with emulation. I like the stickers on cartridges and having game boxes stacked nicely on the shelf. I have slowed down my retro game buying though recently with the next gen being here.

I think one thing that annoys all collectors is the fact that we all once had the games which we are buying again. Don't we all wish we held onto our games and consoles when we were kids?

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:15 pm

^ good point you raise Ryan, and that is why I made it a rule for myself : if you really enjoy something but then tire of it, still don't sell it or throw it away because you will almost certainly want to play it again at some point in future.

Ive stuck to this rule now for a long time and it hasn't failed me yet ;) I no longer encounter what is known as "Seller's Grief"*

*A term I completely made up, just now.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:37 pm

When my collecting habit was in full swing, I would find myself stockpiling for one system, to start with the Spectrum, then that led to the ST, PC Engine, Master System, Gameboy, Lynx, then SNES, then got given a few systems from old friends and would collect for those, especially the BBC B and C64, as more disposable income came by, I would go back and start on systems previously missed, so the Megadrive was the first of those.

As friends around me would sell off games and systems to buy newer ones, I went about it in a different way, targeting games that reviewed well, but did not sell in great numbers, such as Super Metroid, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Castlevania Symphony Of The Night, I would buy two or three copies, always keep one for the collection, and sit on the others until the prices started to rise, as the games became more desirable, and then choose a moment in time to sell them off, this was my preferred way to raise money for new systems to collect for, the two spare copies of PD Saga netted £280 eventually, I have always been a patient collector too, almost never buying games new, and having a twenty pound rule, that is usually the maximum paid for a game.

I do have a tendency to get a little obsessive about collecting for a new machine, the last one was the Atari XEGS, got a good few carts, and cassettes, not played many of the latter though, as they are so damn hard to load from.

As to why I have collected all these years, I think it is down to the love of tracking down those elusive titles, and the satisfaction of opening a new package to find something rare and nearly unobtainable inside.

I do still collect games and systems, but much less than I used to, I am lucky enough to volunteer at The Centre For Computing History in Cambridge, so now instead of collecting I have a huge library to dip into, and help catalogue, also my own games and systems have come out to the various events held there, so there is more of a purpose to hanging onto them, especially the rarer ones.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:30 pm

I think it's because as a kid I saw all those games and wished I had them. Now I'm just a big kid but can afford them; so I guess I'm just making up for lost time.

Also it's not always a case of being able to play a game, it's the peace of mind of knowing that I could if I wanted to.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

WoodyCG

Post by WoodyCG » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:18 am

No, not really - but I can appreciate why people do collect, especially for older systems.

All of the games I own have been acquired because I wanted to play the game in question - even if the game may have only got 10 minutes of play before being stored away somewhere and never used again.

Back in my school days there were tons of games I wanted but could not afford. I am happy enough to experience these through emulators, and don't have any compulsion to scour ebay buying old systems and games for the 'real' experience.

Thinking about it, collecting is probably becoming less relevant for modern games on modern systems. If you buy a new console or PC game chances are the first thing you have to do is download and apply updates (sometimes the whole game). Which means the shiny DVD in the box is effectively pretty much obsolete right from the start. So why not just get the digital download in the first place?

Having said all of that, it is very rare that I give away/sell/trade in any games or systems that I have acquired. Which probably puts be down as a hoarder rather than a collector. Go figure.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:37 pm

I was a fairly addicted collector at one point, but stopped this year, as it was getting a little out of hand. I still have a hit list of 20 or 30 games I'd eventually like to buy - maybe a few older systems. :wink:

batman877

Post by batman877 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:21 pm

It's a bit of an obsession really! I have a games room with literally 1000's of games, but I continue to collect because the excitement is still there for me - for example finding a rare copy of 'Battletoads & Double Dragon' for the Gameboy at a car boot sale recently for £5 made me so happy!

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:37 pm

batman877 wrote:It's a bit of an obsession really! I have a games room with literally 1000's of games, but I continue to collect because the excitement is still there for me - for example finding a rare copy of 'Battletoads & Double Dragon' for the Gameboy at a car boot sale recently for £5 made me so happy!
I used to love that feeling, but don't really get it anymore. Maybe it'll return...

romeoteknik

Post by romeoteknik » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:04 am

I just buy what interests me and it builds up into a sort of collection.
If I really like a game/series, then I buy merchandise as well which can turn into "collecting".
Bioshock and Blazblue are 2 such games.