Discuss Issue 134 Do you collect games (and why do you do it

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Darran@Retro Gamer

Discuss Issue 134 Do you collect games (and why do you do it

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:10 pm

As the title really. We have a big feature on collecting next issue and will also be reintroducing the collector's corner of old. Tell us your thoughts about collecting both good and bad and the best will make it into the issue.

learnedrobb

Re: Discuss Issue 134 Do you collect games (and why do you d

Post by learnedrobb » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:16 pm

I collect games.

I never really thought about it, but most of the ones I do collect are the ones I never had as a younger man, so I am looking to experience something I missed out upon first time round.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:30 pm

I try to ensure that the games that I collect are actually ones that I want to play at some point in the future & not just filler stuff. Having said that, I do buy every Playstation Vita game released as it's a great system that I want to support.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:45 pm

I buy only the games that I tend to play. Small collections sometimes happen by accident but I never buy games that I don't intend to play just for the sake of owning them. Been there, done that and I appreciate the extra space more.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:34 pm

Used to and really enjoyed doing so. Only games i wanted to play though.
New baby last year meant space was at a premium, so much was sold off and now just generally emulate. Still have my Spectrum, Vectrex and a few Atari's.

I don't miss collecting (thought i would) and enjoy having more money, having not spent it on retro games.

crusto

Post by crusto » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:48 pm

I don't collect, I just buy as and when and whatever happens happens. I rarely trade in anymore though so sooner or later I will end up with a collection.

Eat your nans pants

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:21 pm

I'm terrible when it comes to collectiong. I get an idea in my head and before I know it I've bought a load of games I won't play. I bought a lynx collection about two months ago and not even touched it.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:24 pm

urrgh, not the collecting corner, really scraping the barrel brining that back, a couple of pages showing somebody stood in front of thousands of games (most of which they never play), it's waste of pages.

With this and the needless "how to" section it's looking a bit grim for coming issues, must be running out of games to cover......

PaulEMoz

Post by PaulEMoz » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:33 pm

I've started going down the road of collecting games by certain Spectrum and Commodore 64 owners. I used to own most of them anyway, but my parents binned everything when I moved out. I've been buying them for "research" purposes for the book I'm writing, and decided I want to get all the games that certain programmers wrote. It's a bit more focused than just getting "everything".

dste

Post by dste » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:42 pm

I just buy/collect what I want to play now as time and space is limited.

It used to be that I would just buy anything if it was cheap but gradually I've moved on from that, though sometimes if I'm at a car boot sale or charity shop and spy a console or games that I don't own a part of me does think 'shall I pick it up and start a new collection' but then I just think 'do I have the time and/or money to' and pass on by.

Why do I do it? I do it because gaming is my passion/hobby and I love playing games.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

PanzerGeneral

Post by PanzerGeneral » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:05 pm

I don't mind collecting stuff as long as it is going to be used at some point, I have a shed load of computers, consoles and games and I like to rotate them in terms of usage every few weeks.
I am not anal about boxed goods that are still wrapped in cellophane as I actually want to use the stuff I collect.
I personally find it laughable when you see some collections and all the stuff is untouched and still in it's box-what is the bloody point?, no point buying a car and letting it sit in the garage(unless it is just about money for you)?

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:12 am

I used to collect, not just games but with music as well, until I realized hmm there could be something beneath this, exposed some issues that needed tending to and now only keep my very favourite games - which I do play. I guess that's the barometer for me now, if its something I want to play, it gets shelf space. Otherwise I'd have needed to buy a second house to hold all the stuff I was starting to collect, the way I was going.

Now though I am so fastidious about what I keep I am actually starting to wonder if I still have the same problem but in reverse.

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:48 am

I collect, I am lucky enough to have a man cave full of games and systems. The down side is time I really do not get a lot of free time to play so I collect more than I play. One big down side is price, again it is the "old it must be worth ££££"
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:04 pm

For me a lot of it is pure nostalgia and the chance to try out machines and games that, as a kid, I could only look at and read about in magazines. its fulfillment of childhood dreams. If only I could send them all back in time and enjoy them in that era.

clarance

Post by clarance » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:44 pm

I collect Commodore 16/Plus4 games, pretty near to a complete UK collection - can't play most of the games, most of them are too awful to even try, although I do try... ... but then the hopeless quality of the games is part of the appeal.

It's collecting for the sake of collecting - bit like Pokemon - god knows what I'll do if I ever complete the collection, but then there's always the German releases, and the Italian releases, and the Hungarian...
Death may be your Santa Claus.