From the forum issue 133 - Favourite turn-based strategy

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

gman72

Re: From the forum issue 133 - Favourite turn-based strategy

Post by gman72 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:59 am

Front Mission on the SNES or Front Mission 1st on PS1 or Vandal Hearts on PS1.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:06 am

I'l go for UFO: Enemy Unknown, as I just picked it up again in a recent Humble Bundle, and have been playing it to death of late. It speaks volumes for the game's longevity that said bundle also contained its quasi-reboot, The Bureau, which I've barely touched!

Boulder

Post by Boulder » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:52 am

Civilization on the Amiga.

I still remember my first try - after a looong loading time and watching the slideshow of the creation process - I founded my first city, quickly built a militia unit and off to explore it is. While I was trying to find my way across Europe, the Germans found their way to my defenceless lonely city and *puff*, no more Englishmen :mrgreen:

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:59 am

Boulder wrote:Civilization on the Amiga.

I still remember my first try - after a looong loading time and watching the slideshow of the creation process - I founded my first city, quickly built a militia unit and off to explore it is. While I was trying to find my way across Europe, the Germans found their way to my defenceless lonely city and *puff*, no more Englishmen :mrgreen:
Yes. I think that's how most of us learn to build two units; one to go off exploring with and the other to stand back and guard.

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:02 am

So many to chose from but the best of the bunch is advance wars ! But respect to Viking raiders or it's predecessor battle 1917 ( a type in ! )
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:36 pm

I loved Vulcan on the Spectrum but I'm going to plonk for Sabre Team on the Amiga.
Excellent game that plays similar to Jagged Alliance, if a little on the short side.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:44 pm

Series-wise it would have to be the epic Fire Emblem. For an individual game, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (spent well over 200hrs on this!).
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:22 pm

Cripes: difficult choice! Either Vulcan on the Spectrum or Battle Isle on the Amiga. Stupendous on both counts. Managed Vulcan's full campaign in one sitting - those were the days with time on my hands!

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:35 pm

I enjoy them in the early levels, but find them frustrating later on as I am not good at them! I find it stressful having to sit and watch helplessly as your troops are blown to smithereens :lol:
Advance Wars would probably be my favourite. Shadow Wars is not too bad either. I find the genre tough though, too smart for me.

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:53 pm

There are very few Turn Based Strategy games that I've enjoyed, but I absolutely love Laser Squad on the C64. That, for me, is testament to a game being utterly brilliant.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:01 pm

Love the Front Mission saga, with FM3 with its branching story and FM4 with great characters and gameplay the best games of the series.

Very close comes Ring of Red, an underlooked gem for the PS2. Nothing beats waiting for the cannon to be ready and then firing at the enemy mech (AFW, to be more precise) taking advantage of the skills of your ground troops :)

The Fire Emblem saga is excellent as well, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance on the Gamecube is an awesome game.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:27 pm

Much as I love Rebelstar and Chaos, I'd go for Laser Squad which introduced more varied missions and more complex tactics.
Honourable mention to the original fallout.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Sokurah

Post by Sokurah » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:33 pm

Ahh, this one is very easy for me. Battle Isle 2 - that's my favourite turn-based strategy game. I still love playing it...although it's hard to find the time for a game THAT time consuming these days. :cry:

It's partly the engine that does it for me, but also the setting - I love sci-fi. History Line 1914-18 has the exact same engine but the WW1 setting doesn't do anything for me at all. Battle Isle (1) was also pretty good. They tried to make the third game a Windows game but I don't think they were very successful with it, so for me the second installment was the best one.

It was also the first PC game I bought (in a box that is - the first game PC game bought was VGA Planets 3 which was a post order floppy). And I still have my game from back then. :)
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games. All freeware for PC & Mac.
Twitter: Sokurah

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:26 pm

I've read your suggestions, but it is quite clear that this is a genre I have given a wide berth. And you haven't kindled any fire for me either.(Am I mixing my metaphores?)

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:07 am

NorthWay wrote:I've read your suggestions, but it is quite clear that this is a genre I have given a wide berth. And you haven't kindled any fire for me either.(Am I mixing my metaphores?)
No, you're using two separate metaphors there. Mixing them would be something like "kindling your wide berth."