Issue 132

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
Rory Milne
Posts: 419
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:49 am

Re: Issue 132

Post by Rory Milne » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:53 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:on the odd occasions when an article DOES catch my eye it's invariably one of Kieran's (that ColecoVision one for example, or the one about Apple games).
Did you mean the Apple II Minority Report when you said "the one about Apple games"? If so, then that was one of mine. :)

I haven't had a chance to read issue 132 as yet, but I did think the mag looked fantastic when I flicked through it the other day so well done Jon for some really excellent design.

User avatar
Spector
Posts: 2476
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:44 pm

Re: Issue 132

Post by Spector » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:58 am

I haven't got this issue yet myself but it's a great cover with that really striking "ATARI 7800" logo on the front; you definitely scored in the presentation stakes.
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

User avatar
PostieDoc
Posts: 800
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:40 pm

Re: Issue 132

Post by PostieDoc » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:23 am

With regards to Feud, which I love on the Speccy, it's mentioned how poor the C64 port is and why.
I recently played the game on my Amiga and was greatly disappointed.
The colour choice was horrible (I could hardly see the herbs), there was very little sound and the game just didn't feel right.
Did the same person make the Amiga version as worked on the C64 port?

User avatar
Darran@Retro Gamer
Posts: 6761
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:34 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: Issue 132

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:59 am

It was a different coder. Steve Hughes I think.
Image

User avatar
TwoHeadedBoy
Posts: 9028
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:55 am
Location: Liverpool
Contact:

Re: Issue 132

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:34 pm

Rory Milne wrote:
TwoHeadedBoy wrote:on the odd occasions when an article DOES catch my eye it's invariably one of Kieran's (that ColecoVision one for example, or the one about Apple games).
Did you mean the Apple II Minority Report when you said "the one about Apple games"? If so, then that was one of mine. :)

I haven't had a chance to read issue 132 as yet, but I did think the mag looked fantastic when I flicked through it the other day so well done Jon for some really excellent design.
Yeah, that's the one! Apologies, Rory - I should've been a bit more accurate and just said that Minority Report is my favourite section.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

RichL
Posts: 712
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:03 pm

Re: Issue 132

Post by RichL » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:04 pm

Top 25 Amiga games for next month as voted by readers and programmers...

What readers? Did I miss that or was it readers of How it Works?

User avatar
PostieDoc
Posts: 800
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:40 pm

Re: Issue 132

Post by PostieDoc » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:13 pm

RichL wrote:Top 25 Amiga games for next month as voted by readers and programmers...

What readers? Did I miss that or was it readers of How it Works?
There was a thread to pick your top five Amiga games in the It's all about the games section not long ago.

RichL
Posts: 712
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:03 pm

Re: Issue 132

Post by RichL » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:10 am

Ah right, thanks.

User avatar
Fawltykog
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:41 am
Location: Down 't Pits

Re: Issue 132

Post by Fawltykog » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:15 am

Excellent Issue as ever, slightly miffed though that my brilliant award winning quote on the A L I E N Trilogy FPS didn't get... erm... Quoted in the FPS From The Forum thing. :(

User avatar
ncf1
Posts: 1255
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:04 am
Location: Australia

Re: Issue 132

Post by ncf1 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:47 pm

oh wow, flicking through and seeing Resident Evil 4.. Sanitarium.. TRS-80.. loads of stuff to get stuck in to, looks mighty fine to me.

Yes, I have been known to take pot-shots at the TRS-80 and even used it some of its hardware once as a chest-shield during a game of cricket, but secretly I do wish to find out more about it so here's my chance.

no actually we burned a trs-80 system to use as mock 'Ashes', that's right... a spectrum was used as chest-guard.

User avatar
Rory Milne
Posts: 419
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:49 am

Re: Issue 132

Post by Rory Milne » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:28 am

ncf1 wrote:Yes, I have been known to take pot-shots at the TRS-80 and even used it some of its hardware once as a chest-shield during a game of cricket, but secretly I do wish to find out more about it so here's my chance.

no actually we burned a trs-80 system to use as mock 'Ashes', that's right... a spectrum was used as chest-guard.
Glad you're looking forward to the TRS-80 piece, I had a lot of fun writing it. :)

I should point out, though, that it covers games for various systems in the line - the original TRS-80, the TRS-80 Model 4, the TRS-80 Color Computer and the TRS-80 Color Computer 3.

You would have ended up with a lot of mock "Ashes" if you had set fire to just those models, let alone the entire series! ;)

User avatar
ncf1
Posts: 1255
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:04 am
Location: Australia

Re: Issue 132

Post by ncf1 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:57 pm

hehe actually it was just a TRS-80 Model III I ever got to use, the others you mentioned I have never had a chance to use or really even know much about so I am looking forward to reading your article.

What I love is that every system plays and sounds just that little bit differently, I love experiencing the 'nuances'; how the tiniest of differences can change the experience of a game.

Even with the TRS-80. :D

User avatar
Eric
Posts: 682
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Issue 132

Post by Eric » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:12 pm

Enjoyed Colin Jones interview and the making of Feud & Zynaps.

I still have Star Raiders for 2600 but never known of it on the Atari 8-bits, was the 2600 version the original or port from the 7800?

Looking forward to the 32X article next month - it takes alot of stick but this is where I first played Doom. The fact that you could also get Mega-CD 32X games was just magical.

The imagine shop contents for this issue lists a Retro Revial of Monster Boy In Wonder Land - is someone a Retro Towers making up games? :)

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:01 am
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: Issue 132

Post by The Laird » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:35 am

Eric wrote:Enjoyed Colin Jones interview and the making of Feud & Zynaps.

I still have Star Raiders for 2600 but never known of it on the Atari 8-bits, was the 2600 version the original or port from the 7800?
It was originally an Atari 8-bit game. It never appeared on the 7800.

User avatar
PanzerGeneral
Posts: 496
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:34 pm
Location: N.W

Re: Issue 132

Post by PanzerGeneral » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:15 am

Rory Milne wrote:
ncf1 wrote:Yes, I have been known to take pot-shots at the TRS-80 and even used it some of its hardware once as a chest-shield during a game of cricket, but secretly I do wish to find out more about it so here's my chance.

no actually we burned a trs-80 system to use as mock 'Ashes', that's right... a spectrum was used as chest-guard.
Glad you're looking forward to the TRS-80 piece, I had a lot of fun writing it. :)

I should point out, though, that it covers games for various systems in the line - the original TRS-80, the TRS-80 Model 4, the TRS-80 Color Computer and the TRS-80 Color Computer 3.

You would have ended up with a lot of mock "Ashes" if you had set fire to just those models, let alone the entire series! ;)
Nice to see something on the Tandy machines at last, wonder if we might get something on some other American computers that have not been covered yet :wink:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests