Discuss 133: Remakes of classic games

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Ryan_McN

Re: Discuss 133: Remakes of classic games

Post by Ryan_McN » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:43 am

Keeping the core gameplay and adding some spice can work. HD upgrades are nice, and a remixed soundtrack can be welcoming (see Super Street Fighter 2 HD Remix).

On the flipside, some remakes are not so great (see Flashback) due to trying to hard, or taking away the nostalgia factor with going overboard with new gameplay mechanics.

One remake has me very excited though... Resident Evil. Seeing the Spencer Mansion reimagined in HD while keeping the core gameplay is very welcoming, and adding more to the story is also a step in the right direction (while keeping the start, middle and end plot pretty much the same). This seems like a perfect remake which will flesh out the story more while sticking to what brought it to the dance.

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:33 am

Depends. If it's something I played before (like Resident Evil or Stranger's Wrath) I'm not really that interested, and I'd rather the effort went into a new game. Then again if it's something I missed (like Ico / Shadow of the Colossus on PS3) I'm grateful of the opportunity to play it again. The latter were fairly quick and simple updates. The textures were better but I have my doubts that any of the 3D models were improved.

As for the Abe's Oddyssee update, Higher resolution renders of the objects would be welcome, but I really don't see the point in redoing everything. Is it that much of an attraction to people who missed it first time round that it's worth all that effort?

crusto

Post by crusto » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:13 pm

Ryan_McN wrote:Keeping the core gameplay and adding some spice can work. HD upgrades are nice, and a remixed soundtrack can be welcoming (see Super Street Fighter 2 HD Remix).

On the flipside, some remakes are not so great (see Flashback) due to trying to hard, or taking away the nostalgia factor with going overboard with new gameplay mechanics.

One remake has me very excited though... Resident Evil. Seeing the Spencer Mansion reimagined in HD while keeping the core gameplay is very welcoming, and adding more to the story is also a step in the right direction (while keeping the start, middle and end plot pretty much the same). This seems like a perfect remake which will flesh out the story more while sticking to what brought it to the dance.
Too true. Take Buck Rogers (MD) for example. The graphics, while remaining isometric, could receive a huge overhaul but remain in keeping with the original. The universe could've be massively expanded too, with more outposts to explore etc. The planets could be riddled with side quests to go along with the plot. The scope for space battles, upgrading the Maelstrom rider is pretty much without limit compared to 1990 odd.

I would play it for hours..

Eat your nans pants

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:47 pm

love them, fingers crossed for loads more

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:53 pm

Love the idea, it's good if it's not just a graphic improvement but also the chance to add something to the experience, but the most important thing is that the features and the feeling of the original game are kept intact.
Then, it's a great opportunity to replay some great games (that I'd re-play anyway in their original format) with better graphics, faster loading times, new features, achievements etc.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:54 am

I don't think there's anything wrong with it. You see re-releases of films all the time. It keeps them alive, and allows them to be introduced to a brand new generation. It's exactly the same with games.

That said, I don't like this current trend of developers releasing new versions of last gen games. It's happening at quite a worrying pace.

tapmantwo

Post by tapmantwo » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:38 pm

I embrace it - for me it's great to see the games unleashed on new hardware, free of the constraints that were originally in place and allowing them to realise the game they probably had wanted to make originally. There is a fantastic back-catalogue of 8 bit games, from a time when (IMO) playability was always more important than the presentation because the presentation could only ever be so good, seeing them brought back to life as faster running, slickly presented, and better sounding can only be a good thing, providing the core game play is not forgotten.

A great example of this for me was the recent Dizzy Prince Of The Yolkfolk remake on the iPad. It felt just like I remembered it from the C64, only it looked like I wished it had looked back then. The Monkey Island games were also well received in my household :)

Plus don't forget the load times :) Whilst I still love playing my C64, there are times just clicking on a game on the ipad is far more convenient for a quick play.

Incidentally, I had a quick go at Slightly Magic on my Android phone, and I wasn't too keen on how the control system had been translated to touch screen, so I think there are times where the game is either unsuitable for the modern target device, or those aspects of the game need to be tweaked/tailored. A port to XBOX would be awesome though.

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:24 pm

Remakes I like the idea of it in some respects- Chaos reborn is something I've been waiting for but overall, it seems to me like developers know that the market is now so swamped with games all vying for attention that the tried and tested are the only the ones worth developing for.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:30 am

Doddsy wrote:Remakes I like the idea of it in some respects- Chaos reborn is something I've been waiting for but overall, it seems to me like developers know that the market is now so swamped with games all vying for attention that the tried and tested are the only the ones worth developing for.
Be interesting to see what its like. Be so depressing if it comes out as some freemium timer ridden IAP purchase mobile game.

Its funny as Peter Molyneaux was moaning about the state of mobile gaming with IAP's ruining games, timers etc and freemium. Then lo and behold his latest game is like that ! Pot kettle black !

joefish

Post by joefish » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:21 am

look at it sideways wrote:I don't think there's anything wrong with it. You see re-releases of films all the time. It keeps them alive, and allows them to be introduced to a brand new generation. It's exactly the same with games.
There's a difference between a re-release of a great movie and a re-make of it, and most remakes I've seen are pretty atrocious and good examples of why not to do it!

I'd much rather just have the downloads available, like re-releases, to play older games on newer machines, but the games companies seem dead against the idea. Nintendo support it the most, but then why can I only get simple monochrome GameBoy games on my 3DS when it could easily support the SNES, if not the N64's entire back-catalogue? And Sony are absolute @rseholes for putting PS1 and PS2 games on the PS3 store, then taking them down again before you can even download the latest f*****g patch for the store app, never mind actually use it to buy a game.

Tabe

Post by Tabe » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:08 pm

Personally, I like remakes. As others have said, however, the key is the gameplay. If the gameplay is there, but with enhanced graphics and sound, awesome! To that end, the measuring stick for remakes in my eyes will always be Super Mario All-Stars. In my opinion, Nintendo got that one exactly right. You got the original trio of classic games, a new (to non-Japanese gamers) game in the exact same style, the exact same gameplay (including timing, secrets, and so on) - all with vastly improved graphics. I think that package is what other game companies should be aspiring to when remaking games.