Discuss 133: Remakes of classic games

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

NickThorpe

Discuss 133: Remakes of classic games

Post by NickThorpe » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:39 am

Hi all, we're doing a bit of a shake-up of the front end in issue 133 and a new discussion page is part of that. Answers in this thread may end up in the mag, just like From The Forum. So, the question then:

How do you feel about developers remaking their classic games?

We've seen a number of remakes lately, from full overhauls such as Abe's Oddysee: New & Tasty to less ambitious updates like Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD. Some retro fans like to see games fully updated to take advantage of new technology, others prefer to see as little as possible changed. Maybe you don't play remakes at all - if so, why? Whatever your thoughts, let us know.

psj3809

Re: Discuss 133: Remakes of classic games

Post by psj3809 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:48 am

I do enjoy seeing remakes of 'some' old games, the graphics look better, theres normally new features added etc. I do like them if they keep the same 'play style' as the original. What I dont like is a cash-in of a name, eg the new Crazy Taxi game. Just a freemium runner style game for iOS, just lazy and boring. Same for Dungeon Keeper which bombed badly on mobile platforms and the whole team were disbanded.

Same for Pitfall, did we get an update to the classic side platformer ? Nope. Temple Run clone. BORING

As an older retro fan i prefer minimal changes but at times they can really improve the original. But cheap cash-ins which are simply freemium rubbish, avoid like the plague.

Its a bit like remaking a classic film, make sure its not too different as it'll alienate all the older fans.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:35 pm

For me, first and foremost is the gameplay; everything else is secondary. So if the core playability remains the same or largely how it used to be then I am all for remakes because advances in technology can potentially enhance even a classic. Meddle with the gameplay mechanic though and you are playing with fire and indeed even worse, invoking the wrath of ncf1.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:30 pm

As long as they stay true to the original game and don't try to be something else then I'm usually at least interested. A lot of current remakes are just HD updates of older games with minimal changes and these are a mixed bag because on one hand they let gamers play stuff that they may have missed out on (or not had the right console for) in a previous generation but on the other hand, a lot of these ports have been damaged by technical issues that ironically make the originals superior (the Silent Hill HD Collection for example).
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Gibberish Driftwood

Post by Gibberish Driftwood » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:06 pm

You should definitely feature Soundless Mountain 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPKqyGNMG38
Why remake Silent Hill 2 with awesome hd graphics when you instead can to a demake with 8bit style graphics.
The result is pretty damn impressive. The guy who did Soundless Mountain 2 went on to create the similar looking Lone Survivor.
Ken sent me.
Do the Kirby dance: (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')>

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:38 pm

Broadly speaking I'm a fan of remakes. Although they have been a mixed bag over the years. Can anyone remember the awful Defender 3D remake that arrived on the original Xbox, or the rather better 3D Robotron on PS1? More modern HD remakes are nice also, with the ICO PS3 release, Metal Gear HD Collection and Zone Of The Enders HD collection being amongst my favourites. Then we have other bad memories like Contra 3D and Metal Slug 3D. Nice to own not so nice to play.
Last edited by gman72 on Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

crusto

Post by crusto » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:30 pm

I love a remake and think there's lots of games from the 8/16 bit era that could benefit from today's systems. I would love to see the likes of Phantasy Star 1, Buck Rogers etc given the HD treatment and their ideas expanded upon. The originals would have to be part of the package though. Would love to see an update of the X-Wing franchise too.

Eat your nans pants

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:40 pm

Depends on the game and how its been done. The remake of re1 on the cube is an example of What I like! Id love to see a good remake of doom...keeping the same level design and game play of the original-no look up/down just blasting fun with really good a/v quality. Tempest 2000 and Sentinel returns are others I've just loved.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:33 pm

A good remake that has had care and attention lavished on it is great fun to play. However the remakes that are rushed out to make a quick buck are really frustrating.

I just find it a bit depressing that good games keep getting rehashed on new systems, it strikes me as the industry losing its creative touch and playing safe. But I can't deny playing a remake on the 360 is much easier than digging out old hardware and cartridges.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:05 pm

slacey1070 wrote:A good remake that has had care and attention lavished on it is great fun to play. However the remakes that are rushed out to make a quick buck are really frustrating.

I just find it a bit depressing that good games keep getting rehashed on new systems, it strikes me as the industry losing its creative touch and playing safe. But I can't deny playing a remake on the 360 is much easier than digging out old hardware and cartridges.
Yes agreed there, basically the same as Hollywood with it's remakes. Safe, conservative, and guaranteed fanbase to start with

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:26 pm

I like the idea of HD remakes more than where they completely rewrite the game.
Another World is an example of a remake done properly, Flashback on the other hand is nothing short of abysmal.
They ditched the originals vibe and character in favour of some modern, bland, bro-dude sideways scroller.

Even when they try to do it properly, it doesn't always work.
I was looking forward to the Speedball 2 remake but the game just didn't feel right and I would say that the original actually looked better.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:48 pm

The Silent Hill Collection is one of the most heartbreaking for me. I adore that series and how that set was done was tragic. Had the love been put into making a really decent HD update, I would have paid for SH 1,2, and 3 separately. To just chuck a lazy version of 2&3 into a set...ugh.

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:05 pm

Would love to see some of my faves updated for the current market, despite owning nothing later than the PS2 and Wii.

Recently replayed Uridium and, with a few tweaks to the gameplay, larger ships, gun turrets and perhaps a new Bonus Round, I see a damn fine shooter remaining a damn fine shooter. But not at full price.

Paradroid, too. One of the greatest games of all re-imagined for the current generation - Uber cool. What style of play, though? Top-down is maybe too 8-bit for the modern market, and Doom has been done to death though I suspect is the best option.

I also think Spindizzy could prove to be a hit, though as with the other two not at full price. Various view points could be utilised, including 1st-person adding a dizzying spin to the gameplay. Or have the world move around a static you rather than you moving around it. A few more enemies wouldn't go amiss, either.

And I'm sure Pete Harrap could manage a modern-day Monty. :D

Remaking anything worthwhile, though, would need time and patience. So the creator(s) would need time and space to get it right, with no firm deadline to meet - deadlines have killed too many games before they reached fruition. Playability must win out - if it doesn't play as well as or better than the original, don't do it.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:09 pm

IF they can improve the audio and graphics, and retain the playability, then great. If it's simply a case of tagging an average game onto a classic game licence then no thanks.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:14 pm

I think the real yardstick for remakes, is when the original is also included - quite often I find myself playing the original and ignoring the remake. E.g. Impossible Mission DS, Bubble Bobble Revolution.

The remakes that absolutely got it right for me were The Ocarina of Time 3DS and Resident Evil Gamecube. If they could be used as a template for the perfect remake then remakes would be a lot better.