From the forum issue 132 - Favourite first-person shooter

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Antiriad2097

Re: From the forum issue 132 - Favourite first-person shoote

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:53 pm

Final Doom on PS1 I think. I mix them up a bit, but definitely the PS1 versions are the ones to go for.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Boulder

Post by Boulder » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:23 am

Red Faction for me. I loved the atmosphere, the Total Recall spirit is right there.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:27 am

Red Faction is really really good. Totally felt like Total Recall. Pity the second game lost all of that.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

joefish

Post by joefish » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:18 pm

Disruptor (PS1) - great atmosphere and effects, and some decent colourful settings and enemies instead of everything being a muddy brown.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:14 pm

joefish wrote:Disruptor (PS1) - great atmosphere and effects, and some decent colourful settings and enemies instead of everything being a muddy brown.
Great call! I loved that game

PanzerGeneral

Post by PanzerGeneral » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:47 am

Seeing Doom was the moment that made me think it was time to get a PC, I remember buying it for the SNES but it was nothing compared to the PC version.
A lot of the early games were really good-my Favourite being the original Quake.

Some honourable mentions for Rise of the Triad, Duke Nukem 3D and Hexen and Unreal.

Fawltykog

Post by Fawltykog » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:41 am

ALIEN Trilogy PS1. First FPS i ever played, awesome game with a great atmosphere of dread (or indeed Doom)

Gordon Bennett

Post by Gordon Bennett » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:07 am

Rise of the Triad for me. Loads of levels including a very generous shareware version, completely absurd over the top rockets, fast action, and plenty of unusual bonuses to earn. This includes my favourite, a special note if you can kill yourself with your own weapon. Quite clever it is too once you sort out how.

Oblisky

Post by Oblisky » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:42 am

I spent so long playing both the single and multi player modes on Goldeneye without ever tiring of either. Such a great game! I never did manage to do the facility in 2.05 though.

Borderlands 1 and 2 don't really qualify as Retro, but they are definitely among the best games I've ever played. I'm just playing through my second run of Borderlands 2 and all of the additional content and can't get enough. Cant wait for the next one!

SonicTheHedgehog

Post by SonicTheHedgehog » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:27 am

Hmm either Metroid Prime, Bioshock or Exhumed. All 3 played wonderfully and had a great atmosphere about them. Honorable mentions must go to the original Rise Of The Triad, Duke Nukem 3D and Goldeneye. Overall though the FPS is my least favorite genre. I'd much prefer to be playing a RTS/TBS game like Civ or Advance Wars.
The square is a great shape, and one that is criminally underused in modern game design. In the push to ever more granular, chaotic environments, games have lost sight of the simple pleasures of right angles and straight lines.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:44 am

Exhumed...Alien Trilogy...there are some ripper classics getting the nod I'd forgotten about. Cheers guys :)

Ryan_McN

Post by Ryan_McN » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:54 am

It will be unpopular here, but Battlefield 3. I was never really into FPS at all, but found Battlefield's levelling-up system to be addictive. Also, the game is accessible for us FPS amateurs, with room to become great. Don't hate the player....

tapmantwo

Post by tapmantwo » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:34 am

I've only ever really played them in (local) multiplayer mode, which seems to be fun regardless of which game it is. My favourite would be the original Call Of Duty on the PC, which we used to play during down time at work (BEST.JOB.EVER).

As for single player, the only one I've ever played right through was HALO. When the flood first came at me, I nearly shat me pants.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:47 pm

Unreal Tournament, the original one, the game that got me back into playing games.
Splink!

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:09 pm

felgekarp wrote:Unreal Tournament, the original one, the game that got me back into playing games.
Used to play that on an office network at lunchtime - great game.

Also really liked the original HALO, for bringing vehicles and decent all-round viewing and aiming to console games and a twin-analogue stick gamepad controller. Also the idea that you could be outside on a non-foggy day! But the sequels got less and less interesting each time.

Wolfenstein 3D is still highly playable and an absolute classic game.