Issue 130

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Shinobi

Re: Issue 130

Post by Shinobi » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:50 pm

A few questions about the Yie ar kung fu article? You say the second game never got a arcade release but 'konami' released it as Shaolin's Road or Kicker even had the same bosses.. The Imagine release of Yie Ar Kung Fu 2 appears to use the bosses from Shaolins Road fat pig tailed guy, Fan Mask Man, fire breather etc.. You had those pointless 3 flick screens of jumping midget and hitting flying tea leaves "hit several to brew a cup of Oolong Tea" or whatever the manual said they where..

Also 'Pole' bug on the Commodore 64 where he trapped you and drained you Energy, also Nunchuka was easy to beat jump over him and shin kick him just tried it now on X Box live got him with 2 perfects..

Also Oolong wasn't Bruce Lee he entered the tournement to become a Grand Master like his father before him
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:23 am

Very surprised that Emlyn Hughes International Soccer wasn't highlighted as a stand-out football game. At the time it was revolutionary; keepers could jump, dive and catch the ball instead of just 'flopping' on it to deflect the ball away. Shots could be taken a different strengths and heights, allowing you to lob the keeper, even allowing a skilful player to backheel. Players properly celebrated when scoring, running around waving their arms in the air or wagging their fingers. There were different skill settings to allow for a range of different types and angles of passes. Players could be substituted, with fatigue over a season/cup run taking it's toll. Players had different skills, with sum having more stamina or more pace etc. The game was totally customisable, even allowing for types of kit to be chosen, and it had an excellent mouse point menu-driven system back when these kind of things just weren't seen. It really was quite revolutionary, a million muiles away from Match Day
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:11 am

ncf1 wrote:Good choice Mayhem with Jelly Monsters as the main choice, I hadn't played that one when I had my Vic, but from what I saw it looks quite excellent, a very solid effort.
Yeah, it's better than the official Atari conversion, and most of the other lacklustre 8-bit versions on top. Oddly enough, actual cartridges of it turn up in the UK more often than anywhere else (if eBay is anything to go by for instance), which may also explain why it was Commodore UK who had legal action taken against. Maybe it was released here first in the West, and barely made it elsewhere before being pulled.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Spector

Post by Spector » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:31 am

The bright colours on the front and throughout the mag fit well with the retro talk, and there was a nice range of old stuff in this one. C16 fans (like I suppose myself) did well with the great BMX Racers, a Shaun Southern article and Floodit reviewed by TMR at the back. The Vic 20 retrospective was nice; I too thought Jelly Monsters was an excellent little conversion. I haven’t read the Telegames article yet, but it looks like my kind of thing as I love reading about anything to do with the early 80s console scene before Nintendo came along a̶n̶d̶ ̶r̶u̶i̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶ and redefined gaming in post-crash America.

Karl Hornell’s Desert Island Disks was also a good read, mainly for his own story rather than the games he likes. My god, he made a financial killing in the end, didn’t he! Crazy Taxi brings back vague memories of many years back. It was easier to play on the Dreamcast because using the turbo booster (is that what it is?) was much simpler with the control pad than on the wheel and pedals. For that reason back then, I thought the arcade game came afterwards!

While having an article subtitled “Sugar’s Marvellous Machines” above a picture of the CPC464 is akin to having “Britain’s Sexiest Women” above a picture of Susan Boyle, I found the Amstrad piece really interesting mainly because it confirms what we know was Sugar’s agenda when he made his electronic gear. As for the brief interview with him and his comments on the CPC464 compared to its rivals, the less said about the better.

Strange New Worlds was amazing. Who would have thought good old Danny Passarella would be trying something like that all these years after winning the 1978 World Cup!

My favourite quote from the mag? From Karl Hornell: "I think a part of me will always be stuck in the Eighties". That makes two of us! :lol:

The mag is fun and uplifting, and quite Summery too. Ta :)
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:48 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:Very surprised that Emlyn Hughes International Soccer wasn't highlighted as a stand-out football game. At the time it was revolutionary; keepers could jump, dive and catch the ball instead of just 'flopping' on it to deflect the ball away. Shots could be taken a different strengths and heights, allowing you to lob the keeper, even allowing a skilful player to backheel. Players properly celebrated when scoring, running around waving their arms in the air or wagging their fingers. There were different skill settings to allow for a range of different types and angles of passes. Players could be substituted, with fatigue over a season/cup run taking it's toll. Players had different skills, with sum having more stamina or more pace etc. The game was totally customisable, even allowing for types of kit to be chosen, and it had an excellent mouse point menu-driven system back when these kind of things just weren't seen. It really was quite revolutionary, a million muiles away from Match Day
I agree but I didn't want to moan as this is the best issue for a long time.
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:33 am

I really like Retro Gamer magazine...I am a subscriber and I have every issue and even the bookazines (except bookazine #1)

I honestly couldn't care less as to what some people deem to be classed as retro or when will the ps2 be in the mag or we dont have enough of machine x or there is too much of machine Y

I am happy to allow the editor and his staff to make their own decisions and to let them choose what goes in the mag as they are being paid to do so.

Once their excellent choices and superb standards drop to an extent that I am not happy with then I will simply stop buying the mag.

Until then, why don't we just let them continue doing an excellent job and support them in promoting the hobby that we all love with a passion.

I am not related to any of the staff, I am not a `fanboy`, I am not trying to get in `the gang` I just want to read about something that I love.

Another brilliant issue - thanks

KEEP ON KEEPING ON.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:04 am

Bub&Bob wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:Very surprised that Emlyn Hughes International Soccer wasn't highlighted as a stand-out football game. At the time it was revolutionary; keepers could jump, dive and catch the ball instead of just 'flopping' on it to deflect the ball away. Shots could be taken a different strengths and heights, allowing you to lob the keeper, even allowing a skilful player to backheel. Players properly celebrated when scoring, running around waving their arms in the air or wagging their fingers. There were different skill settings to allow for a range of different types and angles of passes. Players could be substituted, with fatigue over a season/cup run taking it's toll. Players had different skills, with sum having more stamina or more pace etc. The game was totally customisable, even allowing for types of kit to be chosen, and it had an excellent mouse point menu-driven system back when these kind of things just weren't seen. It really was quite revolutionary, a million muiles away from Match Day
I agree but I didn't want to moan as this is the best issue for a long time.
Yeah, I wasn't moaning, as most people overlook it in favour of the more well known Match Day and Match Day II, but it still disappoints me.. still a great feature and a great mag.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:19 am

Emlyn Hughes soccer pisses on Matchday 2 from a great height imo. It was much quicker and more fun to play, the C64 version was excellent.

Eat your nans pants

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:50 am

Shinobi wrote:A few questions about the Yie ar kung fu article? You say the second game never got a arcade release but 'konami' released it as Shaolin's Road or Kicker even had the same bosses.. The Imagine release of Yie Ar Kung Fu 2 appears to use the bosses from Shaolins Road fat pig tailed guy, Fan Mask Man, fire breather etc.. You had those pointless 3 flick screens of jumping midget and hitting flying tea leaves "hit several to brew a cup of Oolong Tea" or whatever the manual said they where..

Also 'Pole' bug on the Commodore 64 where he trapped you and drained you Energy, also Nunchuka was easy to beat jump over him and shin kick him just tried it now on X Box live got him with 2 perfects..

Also Oolong wasn't Bruce Lee he entered the tournement to become a Grand Master like his father before him
The feature just mentions he looks suspiciously like Bruce Lee, not that he is Bruce Lee. It goes back to when Konami would put the likenesses of famous people in a lot of its games. hence why we make the joke that he is in fact Bruce Lee and Blues is his doppleganger :)
We didn't mention Shaolin's Road as a sequel, because to all intents and purposes it isn't (hence why it's Yie Ar Kung Fu 2). There's some interesting connections though, so we could have done with mentioning it in a box out or something.

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:58 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Shinobi wrote:Also Oolong wasn't Bruce Lee he entered the tournement to become a Grand Master like his father before him
The feature just mentions he looks suspiciously like Bruce Lee, not that he is Bruce Lee. It goes back to when Konami would put the likenesses of famous people in a lot of its games. hence why we make the joke that he is in fact Bruce Lee and Blues is his doppleganger :)
Funny story about that: in Japanese, ブルース can be read as both "Blues" and "Bruce"...

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:09 pm

crusto wrote:Emlyn Hughes soccer pisses on Matchday 2 from a great height imo. It was much quicker and more fun to play, the C64 version was excellent.
On the speccy matchday II ruled supreme. Never emlyn Hughes ever!

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:39 pm

I never played the speccy version of Emlyn and iirc the CPC version of Emlyn was quite inferior to the C64 version. I also never liked Matchday 2 on the CPC either - it was a pig to play iirc.

Gary Linekers superstar soccer is the best!

Eat your nans pants

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:56 pm

crusto wrote:Gary Linekers superstar soccer is the best!
Yeh I love this too. Ok, so scoring a goal from an overhead kick in your own box and the final score ending up 20-16 isn't exactly realistic but still much fun!!

Oh and Match Day II on the C64, emulated at double speed is also very good
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:29 pm

psj3809 wrote:
crusto wrote:Emlyn Hughes soccer pisses on Matchday 2 from a great height imo. It was much quicker and more fun to play, the C64 version was excellent.
On the speccy matchday II ruled supreme. Never emlyn Hughes ever!

Matchday II was way too slow, and the way the keepers just had the ball rebound off them made it a game of ping-pong when shooting. I honestly can't think of one thing that MDII did better than EHIS. But each to their own!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

tapmantwo

Post by tapmantwo » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:27 am

For me, the first football game on a home computer that felt almost as good as an arcade game was Microprose Soccer on the C64. It had it all - big sprites, fast pace, and amazing banana shots.

I really must dig that out and play it again :)

The only one that beats it from a nostalgic point of view would be SWOS on the Amiga. Which kicked ass.