Issue 130

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ncf1

Re: Issue 130

Post by ncf1 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:57 pm

I've not read it yet but the content mix for me personally is right up there with the best ever, so nice work lads :)

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:25 pm

gman72 wrote:Wasn't there an A8 version of Yie Ar Kung Fu?...
Possibly homebrew...
which is why it wasn't included. There was a screenshot but it didn't make the final cut.

dste

Post by dste » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:29 pm

Crazy Taxi, that's me pretty much sold. :D
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:02 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
markopoloman wrote:Amstrad version of Yie Ar Kung Fu better than the C64 version :? I've had a good go at 5 versions of the game and umm - really?

Cracking issue so far though. Wizball & Super Cars.. most excellent :D
Firstly it's best looking version (not best). Secondly, I wrote it :lol:
Ah, that explains it then :lol: (obviously, you are still wrong though!)
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:00 pm

PostieDoc wrote:What a good issue this month.
Vic 20 coverage to keep those guys happy.
Top 25 N64 games to keep those guys happy.
Hell, there is even a C16 game in there! Surprisingly no mention of the C16 version in the Yie Ar Kung Fu article though. Surely that has to go down as the worst conversion?
They actually featured a Commodore 16 game which one? Other then Commodore User and CCI magazines of the day didn't review that many C16 games think Retro Gamer is following suit.. Well C&VG gave Tony T's Stardust and Frenzy full page reviews and C&VG Hits seeing as he wrote Mean Machines for them

Yie Ar Kung Fu C16 had a bug when you beat Pole the next load you started with 1 life no matter how many you had.. I still think Green Beret is the worst C16 game that or Sabateur
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:01 am

The C16 game is BMX Riders.
Thankfully I only played the Plus/4 version of Saboteur so never got to experience just how bad the C16 version was.

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:06 am

Youngest brother used to have an Acorn Electron, and YAKF was one of the few titles he had. A little disappointed to see that this often overlooked system did not get a mention in the box-out which was given to all the usual suspects. It was a great game for the Electron.

necronom

Post by necronom » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:46 am

There's a bit of confusion on the Retro Diary page. It shows a pic of Dungeon Master, mentions Dungeon Master, but is actually talking about Dungeon Keeper by Bullfrog in '97, not DM by FTL in '87.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:21 am

Excellent Vic20 minority report article - salmon run made me chuckle, I wonder at what point the programmer thought "I know what would be a good idea for a game" :lol: :lol:

Currently enjoying the footy game piece - as they are missing, what were screenshots 6 and 12?
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:31 am

The idea with that feature was to style it in the manner of a football sticker album, with the occasional collection gap here and there. Because of that, 06 and 12 were always intended as empty spaces! It's a tricky balance to achieve - too many empty spaces are detrimental to the feature, too few and it just looks like an error. We might have needed a couple more, in this case.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:24 am

NickThorpe wrote:The idea with that feature was to style it in the manner of a football sticker album....
Ah ok, that makes sense now - and anyway, number 6 would have probably been another bloody spectrum shot :lol: :lol:
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:31 pm

Great mix of content this month, a really good issue. Favourite article has to be the Vic 20 minority report but loads of other good stuff to read as well.

merman

Post by merman » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:44 pm

mlucifersam wrote:There's a nice double page spread on 'Wizball' in the latest edition of Retro Gamer Magazine but...

"(Wizball) had perhaps one of the most bizarre endings of all time and marked the end of Ocean as it's (Sensible Software's) publisher."!?

So what about:

Mark, if you read it through in order I was talking about Wizkid's ending. The previous sentence was about Wizkid, and that sentence starts The game, I.e continuing to refer to Wizkid.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:43 pm

Bub&Bob wrote:Excellent Vic20 minority report article - salmon run made me chuckle, I wonder at what point the programmer thought "I know what would be a good idea for a game" :lol: :lol:
fredghostmaster wrote:Great mix of content this month, a really good issue. Favourite article has to be the Vic 20 minority report but loads of other good stuff to read as well.
Thanks... I had as much fun trying to decide which games to put in there (by replaying about 60 titles in total!) as actually writing the piece...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:03 pm

Good choice Mayhem with Jelly Monsters as the main choice, I hadn't played that one when I had my Vic, but from what I saw it looks quite excellent, a very solid effort. Only issue is, in one of the screenshots you wrote 'turning the tables on your ghostly enemies', but they aren't ghosts.. they are jelly molds! ..

:wink: jus' kiddin. Nice work.