Is It Tme To Introduce Xbox/GameCube/PS2 articles

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Would you like to see RG start covering Xbox/GameCube/PS2 in the magazine?

Yes
52%
No
48%

Total votes: 42

HalcyonDaze00

Re: Is It Tme To Introduce Xbox/GameCube/PS2 articles

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:58 pm

If readers are wanting to read about modern games, then RG might not be the magazine they are looking for.
they are not modern games, so RG should be exactly the mag they are looking for.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:47 pm

antsbull wrote:Surely if your reasons for doing so are to 'bring in new readers', then once you have them, you need to continue to put more and more recent games in them to keep them? If readers are wanting to read about modern games, then RG might not be the magazine they are looking for.

Apart from the odd article, like we have currently, I don't want to read too much about GC/XB/PS2. Besides that, the PS1/N64/Saturn era is still massively uncovered in this mag, and I'd rather read about that gen first.
That's a fair point, PS1, Saturn and N64 don't get much coverage.....

Its a balancing act with new readers, if you change the content much, then RG may well lose some of the readers it has.... just have to ensure more new readers appear, than old readers lost.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

crusto

Post by crusto » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:12 pm

Maybe, just maybe, some of the new readers attracted by ps1/2 articles etc may take an interest in the older systems such as MD SNES/C64.Then it's hunky dory for everyone...

Eat your nans pants

necronom

Post by necronom » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:16 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:
The magazine needs to bring in new readers to secure its future
a fact often overlooked by those who would have the mag shun the PS1/PS2 etc.
and just to finish off the quote:
WoodyCG wrote:and it also needs to keep its existing readership interested.
If it goes modern, retro fans will stop buying it.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:26 pm

necronom wrote:If it goes modern, retro fans will stop buying it.
But it's not going modern. It may feature 13 year old consoles as it did with retro gamer issue 1 when it featured a 13 year old console - the SNES

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:30 pm

indeed, and as long as the number of new readers is greater than the number of those who sulk off there isn't really a problem.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:42 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:indeed, and as long as the number of new readers is greater than the number of those who sulk off there isn't really a problem.
Why use the term "sulk off"? If a customer no longer enjoys the product, he stops buying it. Nothing to do with "sulking"...

It should be a rule that every issue that features anything more modern than the Amiga should have Mario on the cover... :D
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:46 pm

psj3809 wrote:
But it's not going modern. It may feature 13 year old consoles as it did with retro gamer issue 1 when it featured a 13 year old console - the SNES
But the SNES was retro even then, while the PS1 and beyond still isn't ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:56 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
psj3809 wrote:
But the SNES was retro even then, while the PS1 and beyond still isn't ;)
Let's not start this again!

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:58 am

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:indeed, and as long as the number of new readers is greater than the number of those who sulk off there isn't really a problem.
If people don't like the direction the magazine is taking and decide not to continue reading it, that is hardly sulking off.
It's all a balancing act, adding enough material about later systems to interest new readers without diluting the articles interesting to people who like the older stuff too much.

As someone has already said though, shouldn't the 32 bit generation get some proper coverage before we start worrying about PS2 and Xbox?

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:05 pm

Dont know how anyone could argue that MOH: Front Line, Red Faction, LOTR games etc are not retro now?

What I dont get is the people who say stuff should be written about and only fair its featured in the mag even if some dont like it but others will, then go on to say PS2/GC/Xbox isn't retro, shouldn't be in the mag for reason x and they would stop buying RG. Double standards if you ask me, you might not want to read about these systems but others will.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:35 pm

No. Now I am one of the biggest advocates of introducing more 32bit stuff such as PS1, N64 and Saturn etc into the mag, but even I think its far to soon to be doing anything newer than that,

Mainly because the mag has bareley touched the 32 bit era, it would be like leapfrogging a generation. we still want loads of pre 32bit era stuff ( 8bit and 16bit is still the lifeblood of the mag IMO ) and its nice to see 32bit stuff having more features but lets be honest after waiting for so long, suddenly jumping to the gen after that as well would be too much of a jump.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:45 pm

NickThorpe wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:These are games from the internet age, are there any tales left to tell?
I'd say so. Contemporary coverage is coated in PR bluster and filled with uncertainty - would so much coverage have been given to Driv3r if we'd known it would be rubbish? Retro Gamer's strength is that with the benefit of hindsight, we're better able to know which games mattered and what questions to ask about them - and by being removed from the need to drive sales, developers can say what they really think.
Superbly put Nick.

These consoles are in limbo at the moment. Too old to be in the public eye but too new to garner any PR free coverage. No reason the odd article can't go in.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:36 pm

As long as it's the odd article here and there and new information is uncovered (rather than just going over sales figures and stuff that is common knowledge) then I'd be up for it. I have a feeling that there are more secrets behind the closed doors with modern games development due to the larger scale of production/importance so yeah, I want to know more :P

I mean, when one of the main guys from the Driver series was interviewed a while ago (I forget his name :oops: ), there were actually a few reasons given as to why Driv3r was so damn bad. Contempary mags either gave ridiculously inflated scores or simply slammed the game (and rightly so) but RG can delve deeper into the 'why's' and 'hows'.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:00 am

It is getting old enough- it is two gens back...and it will eventually be genuinely in the mag of course as time goes on...

But for me personally, I'd like a 'not quite yet' vote. The odd feature is okay, but IMO it's a little early to be having regular features on this era. PS1 era, for sure :)

That said I'm happy either way and certainly would buy the mag regardless, and would enjoy features from that era