Is It Tme To Introduce Xbox/GameCube/PS2 articles

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Would you like to see RG start covering Xbox/GameCube/PS2 in the magazine?

Yes
52%
No
48%

Total votes: 42

retrosofer

Is It Tme To Introduce Xbox/GameCube/PS2 articles

Post by retrosofer » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:29 pm

If there is a PSP article on the way as its 10 yeasr old, then surly its time to start adding proper articles on Xbox/GC/PS2 games and systems, and i mean article not Future Classic thing?

Antiriad2097

Re: Is It Tme To Introduce Xbox/GameCube/PS2 articles

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:36 pm

Now you're just being silly.

Do not want.

These are games from the internet age, are there any tales left to tell?

I'll accept these things turning up in the mag, but its not really what I want from it or why I'd be buying it.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

crusto

Post by crusto » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:38 pm

Yeah I would say so. When did the PS2 come out? 2000 iirc. That's 14 years old, old enough to be considered as a retro system. I think just the odd article at present, gradually increasing as the system ages. By the time we are into another gen it will be over 20..

Eat your nans pants

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:38 pm

absolutely, would be awesome to see the ps2 and xbox in the mag.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:45 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:absolutely, would be awesome to see the ps2 and xbox in the mag.
:lol:

You're almost as predictable as me.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:45 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Now you're just being silly.

Do not want.

These are games from the internet age, are there any tales left to tell?

I'll accept these things turning up in the mag, but its not really what I want from it or why I'd be buying it.
Yeah but does anybody know the story behind Otogi 1/2 and how the games came about/produced? I dont and i'd wager there are very few who actually do, so internet age or not, there is a wealth of stories and knowlege ripe for great articles.

I think now is a great time to start introducing the odd article here and there and increase it as time moves on as Crusto said.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:14 pm

Definite YES from me, but not to the detriment of overall balance in the mag. Don't think there's a whole lot of mileage in the argument that all the stories for games from that period are on the internet - exactly how much more is there to say about Atari, just to pull out a random example? As long as RG doesn't just focus on the obvious titles all the time, and I don't believe they would, I'm sure there's lots of interesting stories to tell. :D

If I'm being greedy, a personal request alongside this would be to look overseas at import titles a lot more for that era as well, though I know that's not everyone's cup of tea.
Last edited by Sel Feena on Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roo

Post by Roo » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:26 pm

I'd quite like to see more PS2/XBox/GameCube articles, but then again I've still got many of my old issues of NGC and OPM from ten years ago. I think articles from 'gaming in the internet age' could be gradually introduced, perhaps one every two issues or so?

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:44 pm

:shock:

Where's the 'shoot yourself in the head with a shotgun' emoticon when you need one?

Really? This is surely a joke. Why not just put the PS4 in the mag and have done with it?
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:00 pm

^ Nice to see we can discuss this reasonably and not post kneejerk reactions. :P

If there's an overabundance of it then it will ruin the balance, but nobody's asking for that. I certainly don't want that, I like all the proper old stuff, it's fun to see how all the Speccy and C64 people had things for instance.

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:52 pm

See when people on here say could we have PS1/Xbox/GC/PS2 coverage its imediatly assumed they want the mag filled with the stuff back to back every month, but thats not the case at all. Just the odd article mixed in with the rest of the balance thats all. At some point the mag has to start covering PS2 era stuff, is the mag supposed to wait another 10 years before it starts introducing that era?
necronom wrote::shock:

Where's the 'shoot yourself in the head with a shotgun' emoticon when you need one?

Really? This is surely a joke. Why not just put the PS4 in the mag and have done with it?
By the way, there is already current gen stuff in the mag already in the new age section :shock:

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:40 pm

necronom wrote:Why not just put the PS4 in the mag and have done with it?
Because it's not 10 years old... However...
We do some get a bit of coverage from these machines already with things like Future Classics. On a personal level I wouldn't mind articles on these machines appearing in the mag but I don't think we will see many any time soon not while there is still a wealth of 8 and 16 bit stuff to write about, also I suppose we should run before we can walk with regards to newer retro machines and welcome PS1/Saturn and N64 into the mag more regularly before we stampede towards the PS2. That said I'm more than happy to read the forthcoming PSP piece. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:46 am

I would say yes but only in a minimal state (for now any way)

The future classics section is a great section for these systems but also an article every so often on a key title for them wouldn't go a miss, an article on Timesplitters for example *nudge* *nudge* :wink: :wink:

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:58 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:These are games from the internet age, are there any tales left to tell?
I'd say so. Contemporary coverage is coated in PR bluster and filled with uncertainty - would so much coverage have been given to Driv3r if we'd known it would be rubbish? Retro Gamer's strength is that with the benefit of hindsight, we're better able to know which games mattered and what questions to ask about them - and by being removed from the need to drive sales, developers can say what they really think.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:24 am

I think people shouldnt get too worried ,as others have said they're asking for just the odd article now and then not to have loads in every single issue.

But its the whole 'whats retro?' debate. I would love more Gameboy Advance stuff, thats only 12 years old so to some people i'm sure thats 'too new'. Again when Retro Gamer first came out, was it 2003, a lot of systems were only 12 years old (ish) or so but it would be strange thinking not to feature stuff like the Megadrive/SNES in Retro Gamer.

Still think theres a huge treasure trove of stories/great games though from the past, again i would love more arcade stuff. The feature the other month was good but more like a taster/starter. The making of's and the stories behind the games are good but i would love a list/reviews/look back at the games in general. What i love doing is looking at an article then afterwards going to play that game, dont care so much if the programmer had problems with the code back in 1994 etc (but i know some like that). From the last issue i went off and played Escape from the Planet of the Robot Monsters straight after, issue before that i gave Golden Axe much more of go and completed it