Gaming's Greatest Icons

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

PlodMadLoon

Re: Gaming's Greatest Icons

Post by PlodMadLoon » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:57 am

Gibberish Driftwood wrote:Roberta Williams - The woman behind Kings Quest, the first graphic adventure game. She basically created the genre.
Definitely. While adventure games with static graphic screens illustrating the setting had already kinda sorta pre-dated King's Quest, what Ken and Roberta Williams brought to the table was the fact that you had a game world where you could actually move a physical character around in real time using the cursor keys. They combined the arcade game aspect of being able to actually control a character and move them around a screen with direct input from the gamer, with the parser interface which give you control over the story itself. The result was definitely the birth of what we now consider the graphic adventure genre. It was one of those pioneering moments.

ShaunHolley

Post by ShaunHolley » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:33 am

Yoshiki Okamoto, for developing (or at least being heavily involved in) the arcade games Time Pilot, Gyruss, 1942, Forgotten Worlds, Final Fight, and Street Fighter II. He was also a driving force behind the first Resident Evil on PS1. Recently produced a mobile game called Monster Strike. Legend.
Shaun Holley. Co-host of the Ten Pence Arcade Podcast.
http://tenpencearcade.co.uk/

scunny

Post by scunny » Tue May 12, 2015 8:35 am

Domink Diamond - Made Gamesmaster a much watch as much for the comedy and innuendos as the gaming reviews. He was THE face of video games in the 90s
XBL: RainMan 999
(Add me for some overwatch!)

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:26 am

PlodMadLoon wrote:
Gibberish Driftwood wrote:Roberta Williams - The woman behind Kings Quest, the first graphic adventure game. She basically created the genre.
Definitely. While adventure games with static graphic screens illustrating the setting had already kinda sorta pre-dated King's Quest, what Ken and Roberta Williams brought to the table was the fact that you had a game world where you could actually move a physical character around in real time using the cursor keys. They combined the arcade game aspect of being able to actually control a character and move them around a screen with direct input from the gamer, with the parser interface which give you control over the story itself. The result was definitely the birth of what we now consider the graphic adventure genre. It was one of those pioneering moments.
Roberta Williams (and husband Ken) also invented graphic text adventures with Mystery House - so the OP was technically correct, despite saying it was King's Quest.

StevetS

Post by StevetS » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:58 pm

For me it has to be the 8-bit heroes:

Malcolm Evans - 3D Monster Maze (ZX81)
Matt Smith - Manic Miner
Mike Singleton - Lords of Midnight
David Braben - Elite (and ongoing programming god!)
Steve Turner - Quazatron, etc
Sandy White - Ant Attack
Stamper Bros - Everything Ultimate (esp. Cookie, Attic Atac, Jetman, Knight Lore, etc)
Roy Carter - Sweevo's World
Gregg Follis & Royston Carter - everything Gargoyle and Heavy on the Magick especially

These guys shaped and expanded my gaming horizons at a critical point in my childhood when the closest we got to full interaction was Steve Jackson's Fighting Fantasy Books (like The Warlock of Firetop Mountain).

Timothy Redux

Post by Timothy Redux » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:21 pm

Clive Sinclair and Alan Sugar for making a computer I could afford.

Matt Smith, Jeff Minter (Vic 20 games king) and The Stampers for making games I loved on the computers I could afford.

Special mention to Oliver Frey for giving the magazines of my youth a great identity and style
The Artist Formerly Known as Timothy Lumsden...

katastrophic88

Post by katastrophic88 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:45 pm

Nostalgia talking, as I'd watch my parents play this game together late at night after work, but Robyn and Rand Miller -- creators of Myst.

Solegor

Post by Solegor » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:23 am

Rick Dickinson - the designer of the Speccy and some other computers (including Gizmondo portable) passed away recently. Nice obituary on Eurogamer. Maybe Retro Gamer can also dedicate a couple of pages to remember his life and achievements.

DrDpad

Post by DrDpad » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:42 pm

Were The Oliver Twins mentioned?

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed May 29, 2019 4:59 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:50 pm
But the question isn't an artistic one. There are icons of sport or business that have no artistic merit, but are held as the shining examples in their field, elevated from just being skilful to icon status.
In addition , many of these people inspired others into the game industry, who in turn created some incredible games themselves, who in turn inspired another generation. So yes, I'd agree they are indeed incons.

Not sure I can think of many that haven't been included already. Akira Yamaoka added much to the survival horror genre with his Silent Hill soundscapes, Tom Kalinske perhaps for taking on the monopoly of Nintendo and taking Sega to the 'next level'

My mind has suddenly gone blank with names, and would not be able to spell them anyway, would need to look them up!