Gaming's Greatest Icons

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Darran@Retro Gamer

Gaming's Greatest Icons

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue May 27, 2014 2:07 pm

Hi everyone.
We're planning a big article in a few months time were we celebrate gaming's most important icons. There fore we'd love to hear your thoughts on the people you feel have shaped the industry. Maybe they were innovative developers like JeffMinter, who constantly pushed game design, or perhaps someone like Nolan Bushnell who was behind one of gaming's biggest publishers. Whether they are designers or leaders, we'd still love to hear your thoughts and opinions.
As always the best comments will make it into the magazine, so feel free to tell us who would be on your own personal list.

HalcyonDaze00

Re: Gaming's Greatest Icons

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Tue May 27, 2014 2:22 pm

Hasn't this (or something very similar) already been done?:
We're planning to put together a list of the most influential people of all time in gaming. Therefore we'd like you all to vote on the 10 people you feel have influenced gaming more than anyone else. They don't have to be developers either.
wasn't that long ago either

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue May 27, 2014 2:47 pm

A list of 10 is very hard but I will go with:

Nolan Bushnell
Jack Tramiel
Sir Clive Sinclair
Ed Logg
Dave Theurer
Eugene Jarvis
David Crane
Jeff Minter
RJ Mical
Jay Miner

joefish

Post by joefish » Tue May 27, 2014 3:15 pm

Ralph Baer - all too often overlooked in the history of video games is the very brilliant man who invented them all.

Sir Clive Sinclair - whether by design or by accident, he created the UK market for computer-based entertainment, and raised a generation who knew how to make the next generation of games.

Jack Tramiel - for the same reasons as 'Uncle' Clive, but in the US.

Shigeru Miyamoto - a natural gift for understanding video gameplay makes him the absolute master of the art.

Sid Meier - created his own genre of gaming and just kept the quality coming and coming.

Gary Bracey - kept Ocean's head up while all about were losing theirs.

Jon Ritman - A history of great 80s games; some of the greatest ones ever.

Paul Woakes - All too often overlooked by people who've only heard of Elite. But in the Mercenary series, here were solar systems with planets you could swoop down on, land on, cruise the streets and go shopping.

Jonathan 'Joffa' Smith - understated genius of Spectrum programming.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue May 27, 2014 3:47 pm

Some good suggestions so far, I'll throw in:

John Carmack - Pretty much invented the FPS as we now know it, and a huge driver of gaming technology for the last two decades.

Julian Gollop - Still the master of turn-based strategy games. Never quite had the success he deserved since UFO, but his influence is undeniable.

Gabe Newell - For his work on Half Life and Counterstrike he should be in with a shout, but mainly for saving the PC games industry from itself with Steam

Terry Cavanagh - Because it's nice to know that in this era of megabudget games created by vast armies of developers one individual can still turn out games that play better them. (I could also mention Phil Fish, Jonathan Blow, Mike Bithel, etc.)

Brett Sperry - For creating the RTS genre as we now know it, and all the other great games of the Westwood Studios days.

Tim & Chris Stamper - From Jetpac to... erm... Jetpac Refuelled, the cream of British games design talent.

Tomohiro Nishikado - For giving us Space Invaders.

Geoff Crammond - For launching the sim racer genre with Revs and perfecting it over the next decade or so with F1GP. The Sentinel and Stunt Car Racer aren't too shabby either.

Bill Gates - Even if you've never played a game on a Windows (or heaven forfend DOS) PC, or even the Xbox, the chances are that most of your favourite games were developed using some of Microsoft's tools. Isn't that a scary thought?

Alan Sugar - For the GX4000. :wink:

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue May 27, 2014 6:17 pm

Jez San. He drove 3D on 8 bit computers to breaking point, carried that through the ST and Amiga then brought it to the SNES with Nintendo's Super FX chip. Hugely influential for both his games and business sense, he was the first person in the industry to be awarded an OBE specifically for his achievements in that field. I'm not sure if that makes him an incredibly interesting person or if he's just a boring, incredibly focused techno geek, but I'd like to meet him anyway.

Sir Clive is an essential. His presence may be localised, but without him the UK arguably wouldn't have the global games presence it has.

Billy Mitchell. Hero to many, nemesis to others, there's no denying he's one of the biggest personalities in competitive classic gaming.

Martyn Carroll. Without whom, we may not all have gathered, the UK scene may have been much less prominent and many conventions might never have happened. All praise the mighty Mr Carroll. Yes, many of us played emulators and old systems before RG arrived, but this gave us focus.

Assumng there's going to be some black sheep mentioned, I suggest Alan Sugar for his 'me too' bandwagon jumping and utter lack of creativity.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed May 28, 2014 9:44 pm

The PC mouse cursor
10p logo
Start button

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:30 pm

So many.. but a couple that spring to mind, for me are Jack Tramiel for his incredible desire and motivation to succeed with his dreams, and Jordan Mechner, how on earth did he do those things on an Apple II.

Gibberish Driftwood

Post by Gibberish Driftwood » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:04 pm

Roberta Williams - The woman behind Kings Quest, the first graphic adventure game. She basically created the genre.
Ken sent me.
Do the Kirby dance: (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')>

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:41 am

Jay Miner, an ingenious designer that created a computer that was 10 years ahead of his time. And Yu Suzuki, a man that designed some wonderful and revolutionary games.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

thompson9980

Post by thompson9980 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:21 pm

Kevin Tomms.
STUFF WANTED:
Sega 32X
Sega Megadrive, Japanese, mark 1
Sega Megadrive II

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:50 am

The new issue is back, so it will be great to get your thoughts on this.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:19 am

My mum. Not meant jokingly. If she hadn't scrimped to buy me an 8bit computer, then every other gaming icon wouldn't have been in my reach.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:55 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:The new issue is back, so it will be great to get your thoughts on this.
Video preview please !!

Gibberish Driftwood

Post by Gibberish Driftwood » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:00 pm

psj3809 wrote:Video preview please !!
Yeah. The video previews are a good way to get the fans salivating for the latest issues. :D
Ken sent me.
Do the Kirby dance: (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')>