Temple of Apshai

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

kelp7

Temple of Apshai

Post by kelp7 » Sun May 18, 2014 12:54 pm

Is this a running joke or something? Lost count of the number of times I've seen it in the charts on the Back to the 80s section :-) makes me chuckle each time, it's normally at number 1 in the chart too (i think). Is it worth playing?
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com

Mayhem

Re: Temple of Apshai

Post by Mayhem » Sun May 18, 2014 2:11 pm

It was one of Automated Simulations' (soon to change name to Epyx) flagship software lines. It's a bit clunky in today's light, but it was a very early, successful attempt to combine a bit of arcade and RPG action into one program. Also, one of those games where you really need the manual as well, not just for the controls, but the room descriptions and more, as they give hints about finding the treasures.

If you were to play it now, the best choice would probably be the Temple of Apshai Trilogy on the C64 that Epyx released in late 85. Combines the three main games, spruces up the graphics and makes it a lot more accessible to play.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Sun May 18, 2014 2:55 pm

kelp7 wrote:Is this a running joke or something? Lost count of the number of times I've seen it in the charts on the Back to the 80s section :-) makes me chuckle each time, it's normally at number 1 in the chart too (i think). Is it worth playing?
You weren't there in the early 80s?

That was another time entirely. HW companies were expecting to keep on selling their machines for ever and ever (no, they obviously hadn't read Moore's Law), and SW was not freshmeat, it was proudly stacked on the shop shelves and had a practically infinite "best before" date. That worked when releases were far and few between and quality was so-so.

Then times changed. Those who did not notice went under.

(Oh, the game - it is a rogue-like IIRC so an acquired taste I expect.)

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Mon May 19, 2014 3:25 pm

Thanks both.

Yeah I was there in the 80s but in the early 80s I was pretty young (and it seems to be since the shift to the very early 80s in this section of the mag that I've noticed the game mentioned a lot more).

Cool, will check out the c64 trilogy!
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com