Retro Gamer - Issue 129

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

kiwimike

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 129

Post by kiwimike » Wed May 21, 2014 8:36 am

PanzerGeneral wrote:Going back to the Lynx feature and the sales figures, If about 3 million units shifted is the pre-requisite for getting a feature in the mag, then it must be time for-

MMMMMM-shiny!!!!!!!
Long overdue, to date I don't recall a decent feature on the TI in RGs history :)

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed May 21, 2014 9:10 am

slacey1070 wrote:The hardest games bit, which is a good article, has Dark Souls 2 in it. What was the discussion on its inclusion like, given that many would argue the ps1 isn't retro and DS2 came out this year??

Not a biggy, just curious, as "modern" does creep in fron time to time.
It's the hardest games of all time. All time didn't end in the 90s, so we included important modern games that were relevant to the feature. Hope that clears things up.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Wed May 21, 2014 10:58 am

Thanks Darran, yeah wasn't a criticism, just a query...

In hindsight, I should have nominated China miner on.the c64 and the first castlevania on the gb... Both impossible!
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed May 21, 2014 12:29 pm

theantmeister wrote:Bring back RevStu!
Do that! All my favourite articles out of the last six years (!!!!) have been his ones.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Wed May 21, 2014 1:05 pm

Finally got a hold of issue 129, the daft postie had delivered it to my neighbour by mistake.

Really enjoying it so far, in particular the hardest game feature. Glad to see Super Meat Boy in there, it's a great throwback to the days of broken joysticks.

Nice to see there's to be a football article next issue, and I really hope it's got a heavy focus on the Football/Championship Manager series.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed May 21, 2014 1:15 pm

look at it sideways wrote:

Nice to see there's to be a football article next issue, and I really hope it's got a heavy focus on the Football/Championship Manager series.
I'll stop you there. There's absolutely no way we could have covered everything, so this is just going to focus on action/arcade based football games. I know this will disappoint some, but we felt it was the best approach to take.

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Wed May 21, 2014 1:28 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
look at it sideways wrote:

I'll stop you there. There's absolutely no way we could have covered everything, so this is just going to focus on action/arcade based football games. I know this will disappoint some, but we felt it was the best approach to take.
Cheers for letting us know, Darran. I'll admit to being a bit biased on this one, as I'm a huge fan of the series. Still, I'll look forward to this as there are so many old footballing sims I've probably forgotten about. I think the first I ever played was Italia '90 on the Mega Drive, which was horribly received if I remember rightly. But my friends and I really enjoyed it, it was our first experience of being able to "control" a football match, and the fates of the teams we supported - and that in itself was incredibly exciting.

RichL

Post by RichL » Wed May 21, 2014 5:21 pm

Classic Moments - Robocop.

censored Jones boys, censored JONES.

Haha censored. The shorter name for Richard anyway, and not Rich!!!

:oops:

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Fri May 23, 2014 7:43 am

look at it sideways wrote:Finally got a hold of issue 129, the daft postie had delivered it to my neighbour by mistake.
Haha, whats the chance of him having read it on the bog? :lol:

batman877

Post by batman877 » Fri May 23, 2014 9:34 am

Another good issue - thanks, I particularly enjoyed the Midnight Resistance and Atari Lynx articles.

However, I'd like to correct you on an error in 'The Unconverted' section on page 31. When referring to Midnight Run, you say "A Playstation version was released in 1997, exclusively in Japan". This is not true, it did receive a PAL release and here's a picture of my copy as proof:

You also say "Be warned, though - before you rush to import it, know that the conversion is no classic, thanks to some jerky visuals and sloppy handling". I agree, that it's no classic, but it really is a decent solid racer. The handling is fine and the graphics pretty decent for the time. The only real draw back is that the experience is short lived and only really worth playing in short bursts.

Cheers! :D

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Fri May 23, 2014 11:21 am

antsbull wrote:
look at it sideways wrote:Finally got a hold of issue 129, the daft postie had delivered it to my neighbour by mistake.
Haha, whats the chance of him having read it on the bog? :lol:
Uk, they're certainly there - he'd 'accidentally opened it' before bringing it over to my flat!!

Ruudos

Post by Ruudos » Fri May 23, 2014 12:36 pm

"Hardest game of all-time'

Great idea for an atricle but some poor choices IMO.

Contra is probably the most overrated game in terms of difficulty.
Same for Mega Man (and its NES sequels were less challenging).

Eric

Post by Eric » Fri May 23, 2014 2:55 pm

Like the new layout of the Contents page. Alot clearer & cleaner layed out and easier to read. The Imagine Shop text bubble looks out of place though and would perhaps be better incorporated into the online contacts at the top of the page. Also the white box / black text titles placed on top of their screenshots looks like a glitch, maybe move this text and it's page number below the images?

Just my thoughts, anyway onto page 6... (50% subscription offer is very tempting!)

Green Bert

Post by Green Bert » Sat May 24, 2014 7:45 am

Has every Subscriber got this edition yet? I'm still awaiting mine. :(

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Sat May 24, 2014 8:38 am

Still not got my rg or gtm :(
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords