Retro Gamer - Issue 129

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

LAIS

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 129

Post by LAIS » Sat May 24, 2014 9:39 am

Ruudos wrote:"Hardest game of all-time'

Great idea for an atricle but some poor choices IMO.

Contra is probably the most overrated game in terms of difficulty.
Same for Mega Man (and its NES sequels were less challenging).
To an extent it's all subjective, the RG team were always going to get people complaining no matter what games they chose. If I was going to put together my list, I'd probably have Sonic 2 in there purely based on the unfairly tough special stages. Game ruining, I'd go as far as to say. Others will no doubt disagree. Take it as a compliment to your gaming ability that you didn't find Contra that tough, I'm doing the same thing for Prince of Persia! However, you're saying the games are "overrated" in terms of difficulty - which means you know that people do consider them tough. Therefore, it would have been an oversight for RG to not include them. That's how I see it anyway.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Sat May 24, 2014 6:42 pm

I personally thought game over was one of the easier Dinamic games. Navy moves and army moves are bastards!
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

skinny

Post by skinny » Sun May 25, 2014 11:02 pm

I enjoyed the Driver article, loved the game when it came out. I never really understood the complaints about the initial car park level, I found it to be something of a trainer level - you could practice it and learn how to handle the car, then do it for real. If you couldn't manage it, you weren't going to get far in the game. The hard one was the last level, I never did manage to finish that one!

I do recall being disappointed by Driver 2, the pop-up was so bad. Still enjoyed it though, but didn't get near to finishing it.

Pete

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Mon May 26, 2014 11:32 pm

just finished reading the extremely well-written maze article, but (unless I missed it completely) there's no mention of Castle Wolfenstein? Or Beyond CW for that matter? One of the greatest, greatest, greatest maze-type games ever which actually went on to inspire the Wolfenstein 3D that is mentioned instead numerous times?

Daylight robbery. This makes my eyes cry. BCW has been treated like a red-headed stepchild and I for one am standing up for ginge's of all sorts, right now of the maze-type-games-that-should've-been-mentioned-in-RG kind.

:cry:

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Tue May 27, 2014 6:21 pm

just read the Lynx article, well done, great effort. I still want one, eventually I will buy one soon as the money comes in, think I might get a Lynx II. I thought of a question though : how long would it last using lithium batteries. Can it even accept lithium batteries? My sony discman (yep i'm the one that still uses 'em) works for ages with a couple of lithiums, I wonder if the Lynx/Lynx II would also perform more admirably, perhaps even much more so?

Spector

Post by Spector » Tue May 27, 2014 7:10 pm

ncf1 wrote:just read the Lynx article, well done, great effort. I still want one, eventually I will buy one soon as the money comes in, think I might get a Lynx II. I thought of a question though : how long would it last using lithium batteries. Can it even accept lithium batteries? My sony discman (yep i'm the one that still uses 'em) works for ages with a couple of lithiums, I wonder if the Lynx/Lynx II would also perform more admirably, perhaps even much more so?
I think your best bet are the modern day rechargeables which you can get in poundland stores 4 for a pound. They do the job great and you don't need to worry. The Lynx was years ahead of its time technologically, but that was also true in terms of the batteries required for it! Some of the great graphical effects lashed on their games make it all worthwhile though.
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue May 27, 2014 7:17 pm

Get Duracell rechargeables off eBay, you can get 4 for about £5 and they last ages, far far superior to any other rechargeables I have used.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Tue May 27, 2014 8:43 pm

A small correction to #129: PS2 "Gauntlet: Dark Legacy" is not bad, it is in fact very good.

Front page: Great idea, sub-standard execution. The white should have been dropped, and all text and boxouts should have been made part of the design. Possibly with a not so dark background.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Wed May 28, 2014 10:49 pm

ncf1 wrote:just read the Lynx article, well done, great effort. I still want one, eventually I will buy one soon as the money comes in, think I might get a Lynx II. I thought of a question though : how long would it last using lithium batteries. Can it even accept lithium batteries? My sony discman (yep i'm the one that still uses 'em) works for ages with a couple of lithiums, I wonder if the Lynx/Lynx II would also perform more admirably, perhaps even much more so?
I tried this little experiment a while ago, and added my thoughts in a Lynx thread somewhere, it most certainly does take lithiums, and they lasted nearly 6 hours, I then tried my 2500 Ma Sanyo batteries, which are the only ones I had to hand, I got four hours out of them on a regular basis, they are not new batteries by any means, but compared to modern handhelds that is not too bad in my book.

As for the article, I thought it a great celebration of a machine that is an important part of handheld gaming history,, I was a massive fan of the Lynx and still am, it has some of the greatest arcade conversions of any system, it has a small library, but one with a very good ratio of excellent to bad games, I always like the way The Laird gets so enthused by his subject matter, and gets a good lot of interviews with the likes of Daryll Still for some behind the scenes stories. anyone who loves retro games in my opinion really does need to seek out this wonderful handheld and the great games it offers, you really are missing out on a special machine, and the article on the whole does a good job of highlighting a machine that a lot of people will not have experienced, which I wager is one of the points of an anniversary piece, was there as much vitriol against other anniversary articles on machines that did not sell well.

That said, one part of it was a concern to me I remember at the time the Lynx II came out, being very frustrated by the fact the machine's fortunes did not really seem to have lifted very much, I loved it and wanted it to do well, it was getting some great games, but only a couple of people I knew had one, and I really do not recall a dramatic rise in sales, or an increased presence on the high street, or other peoples homes, it certainly did not seem to have the exposure of some of the others.

That said I can still think back in fondness to the times four of mates sat down with a messy comlynx cable to play Xenophobe, and California games, these were great times, but they happened when Game were selling off the machines for peanuts and a few mates bought them up, anyone who had these machines and could use them in this way would undoubtedly share The Laird's (and my own) love and enthusiasm for this handheld.

If I was being picky I would also suggest Zaku only really got much fanfare in the Atari community, yes it was great the console got a new full release with a proper box and cartridge, but it was not in the same league or quality, IMO to make much of a splash, I remember The Laird going a bit off on one when Retro gamer only gave it a half page review!

Of the other articles, I really enjoyed the hardest games of all time, really had nightmares with some of those games, and broke a few pads in frustration, I also loved to read about Escape From The Planet Of The Robot Monsters, a great game and a firm favourite of mine on the Spectrum and later Atari ST.

Loved Paul Drury's interview with RJ Mical, and it was a great pleasure to meet Paul in Cambridge at the weekend, and to show him round the computer museum.

Nice piece on Blitz, I played that for hours on a mates Vic, one of the best one button games of all time, and then had to sit and watch him create endless clones of it, but my favourite piece this month is the Heartland one, this game was astounding back in the day, and one of the games I played most, I had it on Spectrum, but have since got hold of, and discovered that the Amstrad and C64 versions are even better, I have wanted to know the ins and outs of this game for years, so thanks very much Rory!

Boulder

Post by Boulder » Thu May 29, 2014 11:37 am

ncf1 wrote:just finished reading the extremely well-written maze article, but (unless I missed it completely) there's no mention of Castle Wolfenstein? Or Beyond CW for that matter? One of the greatest, greatest, greatest maze-type games ever which actually went on to inspire the Wolfenstein 3D that is mentioned instead numerous times?

Daylight robbery. This makes my eyes cry. BCW has been treated like a red-headed stepchild and I for one am standing up for ginge's of all sorts, right now of the maze-type-games-that-should've-been-mentioned-in-RG kind.

:cry:
I totally agree that they both were great games. CW is one of my first memories of a C64 game, and we played it a lot with an older friend of mine.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Thu May 29, 2014 3:28 pm

It's true Boulder, back in the day BCW was like a AAA title today, ahead of the pack and the speech was simply mindblowing (especially on Apple II). it stood out as a superior title and that game was the one most talked about at the time, the one we'd all play at lunchtime.

little wonder the wolfenstein franchise is still going strong today! Actually just got started on The New Order. ok-ish so far.

merman

Post by merman » Thu May 29, 2014 4:50 pm

See, technically, modern Wolfenstein is not a direct descendant of the Apple II games...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu May 29, 2014 5:35 pm

There's a version of the retro Wolfenstein in the brand new game.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

crusto

Post by crusto » Thu May 29, 2014 7:55 pm

gman72 wrote:There's a version of the retro Wolfenstein in the brand new game.
And it's great!

Eat your nans pants

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:40 pm

Hm. Many good ideas in this issue. Some nice layout work, and lots of hard work on making the articles fleshed out and interesting.

RJ was too short though. It should easily have been 2 if not 4 pages longer. I think Darran will agree in retrospect. A man who has worked on 3 iconic systems, worked in the coin-op industry, and worked in the modern console biz has a lot to tell. That could have been 5 separate articles if it had been 5 separate people...