Retro Gamer - Issue 129

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

The Laird

Retro Gamer - Issue 129

Post by The Laird » Sat May 17, 2014 10:20 am

Retro Gamer - Issue 129

The Bluffers Guide To Maze Games
The Making Of: Heartland
Atari Lynx 25th Anniversary
From The Archives: MC Lothlorien
ET Uncovered?
The Ultimate Guide: Midnight Resistance
In The Chair: RJ Mical
The Hardest Games Of All Time
The Making Of: Escape From The Planet Of The Robot Monsters
Classic Moment: Robocop
The History Of: Driver
A Moment With: Ian Malcolm
Minority Report: Japanese Warriors
The Unconverted

& Much much more!

Bub&Bob

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 129

Post by Bub&Bob » Sat May 17, 2014 12:12 pm

and it's got a Vic20 game :D :D
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sat May 17, 2014 12:25 pm

Nice to see this pop through the letterbox, had a quick look through and a quick read of some bits...

Maze games - Like the look of this article as it mentions lots of old classic games
Heartland - Never was that keen on this on the Speccy but may give it another go as the article looks good
Midnight Resistance - LOVE this arcade game so happy to read about it
Lynx - Hmm had a quick read through, the way they rave about this suggests it was an amazing device. Think one problem is getting a huge Atari fan to write this it comes across very 'fan boy-ish' (sorry). To me the system wasnt 'special' at all, it hardly sold well, everyone had a GB, years later people still play GB emulators, its not like people are falling over for a Lynx emulator. Didnt realise it even got trounced by the Gamegear as well and only sold 3 million worldwide. Must admit Lynx II was far far better looking than that horrible original one.
Hardest games of all time - Good to see this, totally agree with some of them
Driver - Never played this much, after reading the article i'll give it a go
MC Lothlorien - Wasnt a strategy fan much in the 80s but looks an interesting read
Escape from the planet of the robot monsters - After moaning about the Lynx article i'll praise Kieren on this though ! Had a quick read (top marks to the graphics team for this article), liked this game a lot when it was out ages ago. Had a quick scan and this article looks great, shall read the rest of it shortly

Not a bad issue for me personally. Next month features Rampage and Crazy Taxi, be interesting to see what mark they give the iOS sequel as its pretty bad (freemium hell)

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat May 17, 2014 12:45 pm

psj3809 wrote:Nice to see this pop through the letterbox, had a quick look through and a quick read of some bits...
Lynx - Hmm had a quick read through, the way they rave about this suggests it was an amazing device. Think one problem is getting a huge Atari fan to write this it comes across very 'fan boy-ish' (sorry). To me the system wasnt 'special' at all, it hardly sold well, everyone had a GB, years later people still play GB emulators, its not like people are falling over for a Lynx emulator. Didnt realise it even got trounced by the Gamegear as well and only sold 3 million worldwide. Must admit Lynx II was far far better looking than that horrible original one.
But it was a special system, it introduced loads of innovations and things that had never been seen on any console before, not to mention it being the first ever colour handheld. Sales were not amazing but certainly not bad, especially in Europe where it was strongest and over 2 million of its sales came from. The whole point of an anniversary article is to celebrate a machine and this is a machine very much worth celebrating. There is a reason the Lynx is so highly regarded among retro gamers and is highly sought after these days, just ask Darran how long it took him to find one at a decent price recently ;)

Oh and lot's of people use Handy, the Lynx emulator, it has probably been ported to more systems than any other emu with versions for the PC, Mac, PSP, Wii, Xbox, Android, Amiga, GP32, Game Gadget, Dingoo etc.

Anyway, glad you liked the Robot Monsters article.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat May 17, 2014 5:52 pm

The lynx is a fantastic console. You're missing out by dismissing it as nothing special.

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Sat May 17, 2014 6:00 pm

The Laird wrote:Oh and lot's of people use Handy, the Lynx emulator, it has probably been ported to more systems than any other emu with versions for the PC, Mac, PSP, Wii, Xbox, Android, Amiga, GP32, Game Gadget, Dingoo etc.
I highly doubt that tbh, i bet you could pick any other old system's best emu and find it has been ported to more systems than the Lynx one.

The only decent thing Atari ever come out with was the ST, and if the Lynx was so special and amazing why did next to no one buy it, just saying, still will enjoy reading the article all the same.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat May 17, 2014 6:07 pm

3 million is next to nobody . . . . . ok :?

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Sat May 17, 2014 6:18 pm

Like all formats, the Lynx has strengths that deserve recognition and weaknesses that must be addressed. We don't have to be absolutist about this, surely? The hardware was pioneering and has some impressive features, plus many of its arcade conversions are genuinely very good. It was ugly in its initial incarnation, lacked third-party support and was extremely battery-hungry. It is special in some ways, and a failure in others (most notably sales - three million sounds impressive, "a distant third place" less so).
retrosofer wrote:if the Lynx was so special and amazing why did next to no one buy it, just saying
Quality isn't always reflected in sales, man. Gaming history is littered with examples of great products hamstrung by poor marketing, troubled companies, etc.

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Sat May 17, 2014 6:25 pm

NickThorpe wrote:Like all formats, the Lynx has strengths that deserve recognition and weaknesses that must be addressed. We don't have to be absolutist about this, surely? The hardware was pioneering and has some impressive features, plus many of its arcade conversions are genuinely very good. It was ugly in its initial incarnation, lacked third-party support and was extremely battery-hungry. It is special in some ways, and a failure in others (most notably sales - three million sounds impressive, "a distant third place" less so).
retrosofer wrote:if the Lynx was so special and amazing why did next to no one buy it, just saying
Quality isn't always reflected in sales, man. Gaming history is littered with examples of great products hamstrung by poor marketing, troubled companies, etc.
Atari systems always seem cheap, rushed out and a bit naff to me, and have never been that impressed by the games they got on their systems either, guess they are just not my thing, but like i said the ST was the best thing they ever did. Think the Lynx is over hyped and over worshipped like the Jag, they are just not as great as they are made out to be.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat May 17, 2014 6:33 pm

Atari didn't develop the Lynx, Epyx did.

And it took 13 years for somebody to make a more powerful handheld. It could do things that not even the SNES or Mega Drive could do, that is pretty amazing for a handheld.

The Jaguar is anything but over hyped, it's derided and ridiculed by most people, especially on this forum!

Argus_Panoptes

Post by Argus_Panoptes » Sat May 17, 2014 6:53 pm

The Laird wrote:Atari didn't develop the Lynx, Epyx did.

And it took 13 years for somebody to make a more powerful handheld. It could do things that not even the SNES or Mega Drive could do, that is pretty amazing for a handheld.

The Jaguar is anything but over hyped, it's derided and ridiculed by most people, especially on this forum!
What could it do that the Megadrive and Snes couldn't?

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat May 17, 2014 7:02 pm

Argus_Panoptes wrote:
The Laird wrote:Atari didn't develop the Lynx, Epyx did.

What could it do that the Megadrive and Snes couldn't?
Infinite hardware sprites
Hardware scaling
Hardware rotation
Blitter chip
Comlynx
Stereo DAC - can play high quality sampled sound on any channel without hitting the CPU.
Hardware compression

Possibly more things, but that is what sprang to mind. It was very ahead of its time, I don't think anyone can question that.

Spector

Post by Spector » Sat May 17, 2014 7:06 pm

NickThorpe wrote:Like all formats, the Lynx has strengths that deserve recognition and weaknesses that must be addressed. We don't have to be absolutist about this, surely? The hardware was pioneering and has some impressive features, plus many of its arcade conversions are genuinely very good. It was ugly in its initial incarnation, lacked third-party support and was extremely battery-hungry. It is special in some ways, and a failure in others (most notably sales - three million sounds impressive, "a distant third place" less so).
I would say the Lynx was, if I can use this word- the most charismatic handheld available at the time, and I've owned them all. I still remember that first day I played it - June 19th 1990 - and I was blown away. The sound was good, the colour was great, and the scaling effects were astonishing. Yes, its size and battery life weren't practical, but it's a wonderful machine with a very high ratio of good to bad games. Consider this: the Complete Guide To Consoles Book 4, published by the Mean Machines crowd circa 1991 reviewed all the games released for the Megadrive, Master System, Gameboy, NES, PC Engine, Neo Geo and Lynx. Which machine had the highest average percentage score for its games? The Atari Lynx.
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sat May 17, 2014 7:08 pm

there's no doubt the Lynx was an amazing device, it has me positively drooling at the time. I'd have bought one in a heartbeat, what held me back was price, simple as that. as a kid who picked up dirty golf balls in the rain, whilst golfing range punters desperately aimed for my head using 3-woods, and for pennies an hour, well, you kind of had to narrow your choices down and so I naturally opted for the Amiga because I could get stacks of games.

But I still want one though and have been checking ebay for a decent deal. they still aint that cheap! Amazing. then again I want an instant collection, no time to fart around at this age you see.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Sat May 17, 2014 7:43 pm

Argus_Panoptes wrote:
The Laird wrote:What could it do that the Megadrive and Snes couldn't?
It was a b*stard taking a Snes, 14" CRT TV and a generator on the bus
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward