Retro Gamer - Issue 128

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

The Laird

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 128

Post by The Laird » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:39 pm

sscott wrote:liked Nick Thorpe's cheat article to some extent as well as the Lore company article too.
Glad you liked it mate, Steve was a really great bloke and provided so much in depth info on the company. I think it's nice to give the small guys some coverage sometimes and I felt they had an interesting story to tell :)

mrspud

Post by mrspud » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:11 pm

I read the Lore article on the train home. It was an interesting read but I felt it only told about half the story? I kind of want more info on the play by mail stuff for example. Did you have more information than was published? Any DVD extras you can share with us? By the way, the article sometimes read like you'd swallowed a dictionary and kind of stopped me in my tracks when reading it. It detracted (only) slightly from what was otherwise a nice piece.

By the way my copy arrived tattered and ripped. First one that has arrived in this state. Postman had a bad day perhaps?
New Amiga, SAM Coupé and Speccy games available at http://blackjet.co.uk

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:01 pm

Not my favourite issue but you can't win them all.
I enjoyed the cheats article and I now want to find a copy of Bobby Bearing so I can play that game again.
Nice to see Back To The Nineties covering both Console and PC games this month.

Looking forward to next months Escape From The Planet Of The Robot Monsters (best name for a game ever!) article.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:12 am

PostieDoc wrote: I now want to find a copy of Bobby Bearing so I can play that game again.
Its available at World of Spectrum:
http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseek ... id=0000606

Quite pleased to find that, I thought it would be 'permission denied'.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:41 am

Had a chance to have a decent read of it. Really like the making of Golden Axe, made me want to play that game much more. Love the gameboy stuff, good stuff Kieren on the Lore Design article, enjoyed that.

Still got a fair bit more to read, decent issue for me. Must admit that game 'the last of us' nearly convinced me to buy a PS3 for just that game, does look amazing and i'm not normally into new games

Imhotep

Post by Imhotep » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:50 pm

Cyberun wrote:Looks like some interesting articles in there.
However the cover looks like one I'll be embarrassed to take to the till in WH Smiths.
Take it to the self service tills, problem solved !!

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:08 pm

mrspud wrote:I read the Lore article on the train home. It was an interesting read but I felt it only told about half the story? I kind of want more info on the play by mail stuff for example. Did you have more information than was published? Any DVD extras you can share with us?
Glad you liked it. I have lots more info on the PBM stuff but was trying to concentrate on the video games side of things as that is what RG is about. I will be posting up a load of extras at some point like I usually do. 8)

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:02 pm

Cyberun wrote:Looks like some interesting articles in there.
However the cover looks like one I'll be embarrassed to take to the till in WH Smiths.
.. and you think you've got it bad? How do you think it feels when I take my monthly copy of Major Manlove to the checkout counter, I mean DO YOU KNOW HOW THAT FEELS?? THE SHAME... THE ETERNAL EMBARRASSMENT?! *

*er.. of course I'm jus' kidding. :wink:

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:06 pm

I really enjoyed this issue, spent 2 whole train commutes reading it this time round. Lots of articles that interested me, amazes me that at issue 128 I still so much to enjoy in the mag.

Funny thing about all this Golden Axe / Pink shirt talk.........when I was a kid and the arcade was in our local swimming bars, a local bully was playing it with his gang of mates and he started picking on me and my sister (who were watching). I remember saying to him "well I am not the one wearing a pink shirt" and all his cronnies laughed at him.....he was not a amused, we had to go back later to play on Golden Axe. :lol:
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:24 pm

You were lucky he didn't give you a ruddy good punch on the bottom for that remark.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:22 am

The mag came in this morning so ill be buying it in work tonight then...I love golden axe so ill be slow reading that bit.

you would be amazed at the guys that ask for a lighter, then ask for a different colour when I give them a pink one...i tell them it does the same job as a blue or yellow one. It makes me tut when they say that their workmates will take the piiss...I feel like saying that if thats the level of maturity that you cant rise above then you need to take a good hard look at yourself.

There was an interesting bit in the guardian that caught my eye about forcing gender stereotypes regarding pink and blue and one interesting observation was that an argos catalogue from the late 70s sold only neutral coloured or red bikes and red boxed items like spirograph...it wasnt until the 80s with things like my little pony and transformers that the boys and girls stuff really took hold. Also the toy companies could see gifts getting handed down through the family so to stop little jimmy getting his sisters neutral coloured stuff - most bikes aimed at girls are pink or light purple.

Also before the introduction of ultrasound people didnt know the sex of the child so everything would be bought white, its only since ultrasound that people could prepare or choose whether things should be blue or pink....so stereotyping is quite recent in regards to pink or blue...

With regards to the front cover, my previous staff were older females and they would cringe when someone would buy topshelf magazines or nuts etc as they thought the covers were disrespectful - it was never the case when a gaytimes or attitude was bought.

sorry - back on topic.
:arrow:

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:59 am

RetroAerosmith wrote:Also before the introduction of ultrasound people didnt know the sex of the child so everything would be bought white, its only since ultrasound that people could prepare or choose whether things should be blue or pink....so stereotyping is quite recent in regards to pink or blue...
And yet during the mid to late Victorian era, blue was a girls' colour and pink was a boys' colour. Who knows why it swapped over with the decades...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:46 am

Yes I remember reading that blue was for girls as it was in resemblence to the virgin mary.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:43 am

Mayhem wrote:
RetroAerosmith wrote:Also before the introduction of ultrasound people didnt know the sex of the child so everything would be bought white, its only since ultrasound that people could prepare or choose whether things should be blue or pink....so stereotyping is quite recent in regards to pink or blue...
And yet during the mid to late Victorian era, blue was a girls' colour and pink was a boys' colour. Who knows why it swapped over with the decades...
Sorry Mat, that's too retro even for us!

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:05 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Mayhem wrote:
Sorry Mat, that's too retro even for us!
I won't bother pitching a Minority Report Difference Engine Special then! ;)