Retro Gamer - Issue 128

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

LAIS

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 128

Post by LAIS » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:25 pm

jdanddiet wrote:
gman72 wrote:
look at it sideways wrote:and I do feel it's time to start ramping up the Xbox, GBA, Gamecube and even PS2 coverage to add a bit more variety to the mag. I'd love to read the story behind the Xbox console because frankly, I don't really know it.
I've been saying this literally for the last five years and usually get lambasted by the same few dinosaurs for doing so, but now, finally, maybe we may start to see some material of this nature, just be prepared for the I'm-going-to-cancel-my-subscription dummy chuckers to start going loopy... any minute... ... NOW!!
I just did Red Faction for Eurogamer and am working on many more ps2/xbox era games. I've pitched a few to Darran and while they haven't come off yet some of us are certainly trying and the magazine is receptive to it.

On another note, 4 pages of feedback AND THE ISSUE ISN'T EVEN OUT YET :lol:
Actually I received mine yesterday. Well done Royal Mail! I always forget when a new issue is due, and it's a nice surprise when it catches you off guard like that.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:38 pm

look at it sideways wrote: Actually I received mine yesterday. Well done Royal Mail! I always forget when a new issue is due, and it's a nice surprise when it catches you off guard like that.
You had post on Good Friday?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:42 pm

Got my sub copy yesterday too.

Got to say it's a belter of an issue for me. Golden Axe making of is looong overdue. Top saturn games very welcome and the scrolling fighters piece is ace.

Best issue for years (and best cover so far).
Thoughts and prayers.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:43 pm

I got mine today, just started reading it.

Cracking issue for me with Saturn games (one of my fave systems), beat 'em ups (fave genre), Golden Axe (one of my fave games ever) and the Rise & Fall of cheats which looks excellent and offers something very different to the norm. Top work and congrats to everyone involved this month!

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:01 pm

Megamixer wrote:
look at it sideways wrote: Actually I received mine yesterday. Well done Royal Mail! I always forget when a new issue is due, and it's a nice surprise when it catches you off guard like that.
Yeah, I live in Scotland so it's pretty much a normal day for us.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:05 pm

look at it sideways wrote:
Megamixer wrote:
Yeah, I live in Scotland so it's pretty much a normal day for us.
That explains it then :) . Had no post of any sort here and didn't know Scotland is different with the Bank Holidays...
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

merman

Post by merman » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:09 pm

Favourite piece for me was the Makimg of Zarch, the Tekken piece had some interesting insights too.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

crusto

Post by crusto » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:35 pm

Mine arrived today - panic over lol.

Eat your nans pants

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:26 am

merman wrote:Favourite piece for me was the Makimg of Zarch, the Tekken piece had some interesting insights too.
Glad you enjoyed my Zarch article, Andrew. :)

PAC

Post by PAC » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:15 pm

Great to have this waiting after a long drive back from the West Country. Ultra hyped about the Gauntlet redux and going to wrap up the day with a download of Golden Axe on the XBOX, given the rave reviews. Loved the Tekken and scrolling fighters features and plenty more to read as the week goes by.. Fantastic Issue !

NB - Tyris Flare would make Chop Suey out of Blaze Fielding. Too impetuous by half !!

4am

Post by 4am » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:24 pm

The Victorians deemed pink to be very much a boys colour. That aside, congratulations for starting a ruck on the feedback thread before the mag even hit our doormats. You have exceeded yourselves there, gentlemen.

Back on topic... Thoroughly enjoyed the new homebrew section. Good work, Mr Kelk et al.

Nikolai

Post by Nikolai » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:00 am

Why do you paper subs get the mag early, but not me who sub digitally.:( :(

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:19 pm

Finished the magazine over the weekend, best issue in ages. Loved the Tekken and Saturn articles, even the Golden Axe feature was interesting and it's a game I'm not really a fan of. I bleat on about this every now and then - but I'd LOVE to see a "history of Championship Manager" article soon - particularly with the world cup on the horizon. Sensible Soccer has been done to death (as great as it is) and I'd love to see CM get a little love, with cult player profiles etc. Could be lots of fun. Perhaps a more broad "history of football manager sims" would be even better, I'm ignorant to that, I'm not sure you guys have covered it, and it could cover more ground with Premier Manager, Player Manager (which actually PENALISED you for saving!!) and some of the others. A focus on CM in particular with cult players could always come later, or as part of the feature.

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:56 pm

I have now read the complete thing. It was an OK issue for me, liked Nick Thorpe's cheat article to some extent as well as the Lore company article too. I do feel that the back to the 80s/90s is very tired and though I read it does not do much for me. The gameboy article was thorough and I learnt a couple of things but sadly I hated the gameboy, could never see the screen properly. Always remember Zarch on the Archie from school but the controls were bloody horrible! It must be difficult for any magazine to re-invigorate itself and come up with genuinely new stuff- there are a few developers that steadfastly refuse to be interviewed. The mag always has my support but would like to be 'surprised' in future issues, whatever that may mean? :D

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:37 pm

sscott wrote:I have now read the complete thing. It was an OK issue for me, liked Nick Thorpe's cheat article to some extent as well as the Lore company article too. I do feel that the back to the 80s/90s is very tired and though I read it does not do much for me. The gameboy article was thorough and I learnt a couple of things but sadly I hated the gameboy, could never see the screen properly. Always remember Zarch on the Archie from school but the controls were bloody horrible! It must be difficult for any magazine to re-invigorate itself and come up with genuinely new stuff- there are a few developers that steadfastly refuse to be interviewed. The mag always has my support but would like to be 'surprised' in future issues, whatever that may mean? :D

The back to the 80's / 90's is ok. I do like it when they tell you what the games were rated in each magazine. It actually got me thinking that as a new feature, I would love it if they could somehow recreate the actual reviews and reprint them from the magazines. I realise copywright may be an issue but it would be amazing to reread a couple of mena machines or superplay reviews each month.