Retro Gamer - Issue 128

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

NickThorpe

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 128

Post by NickThorpe » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:06 pm

DPrinny wrote:No Dragon Force in the Saturn list
No Dragon Force in the Saturn list

(I know its bloody yellow but its to early in the morning to be arsing round with colour codes)
Blame the voters!

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:55 pm

just finished reading the cheats article, terrific stuff! Loved it. The cheat for Creatures 2 though I cant figure that one out, it seems the user has to put their index finger into joystick port 1 and then turn left and right? Hmm.. will have to try that. ;)

I cant work out why Nintendo had such a stick up its a--- about the Game Genie - if I was to buy such a console at the time the Game Genie would have only prompted me further to do so! Perhaps Nintendo's response would be its the principle and if that's the case, well, they've got so much money they don't know what to do with it and should send some my way.

One cheat that really made me laugh (not talking about the article now) was You Think You're Smarter Than A 5th Grader, and naturally I got stumped early on and being a PC game immediately turned to the internet for answers. Upon going back into the game it tells you off for doing so! Frightened me at first as I thought it was a Big Brother thing, but that was one I remember anyway, and I'll admit right now I've been a hardcore cheater forever.

Now onto the rest of the mag..

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:59 pm

ncf1 wrote:just finished reading the cheats article, terrific stuff! Loved it. The cheat for Creatures 2 though I cant figure that one out, it seems the user has to put their index finger into joystick port 1 and then turn left and right? Hmm.. will have to try that. ;)
Wait until the high score table is visible, wet your fingers and rub port 1 a bit :P :lol:
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:10 pm

Good lord.. I love my C64 but not THAT much!!*

*still thinks of trying it though

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:48 am

ncf1 wrote: I cant work out why Nintendo had such a stick up its a--- about the Game Genie - if I was to buy such a console at the time the Game Genie would have only prompted me further to do so! Perhaps Nintendo's response would be its the principle and if that's the case, well, they've got so much money they don't know what to do with it and should send some my way.
I think it's very much a control thing - this was the era where Nintendo had iron-fisted control over pretty much every aspect of the NES (and by extension, the US/Japanese console markets), and wanted to keep it that way. There's a brilliant quote from a court document relating to the case:

"Having rescued the video game industry from the shambles of the early 1980s, Nintendo argues that it is now entitled to decide how its games should be enjoyed, by whom, and under what circumstances, even after the consumer has paid full price." - Judge Fern M. Smith

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:57 am

So, like an abstract form of DRM?
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

davyK

Post by davyK » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:21 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
davyK wrote:Just a little bit of info missing in the Twinkle Star Sprites piece; specifically about the Saturn port. The article mentions slowdown is present however if you complete the game it becomes selectable.
My bad DavyK, totally forgot about that. Hopefully it didn't ruin the article for you too much.

Of course not. Nice issue this month overall. Nicer to see this game get a bit of recognition and even nicer again to hear others appreciating the Saturn port!! :)

tapmantwo

Post by tapmantwo » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:58 am

It's that sad time of the month when I've finished reading RG cover to cover and have to wait for the next one.

Thought it was a good issue this month, and some of the 'how to' suggestions in the letters section would be greatly appreciated.

I also thought the new technical box-out was good in the homebrew section - more of these please :)

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:47 am

We will hopefully have the how to sections from 131 onwards.

Mancman

Post by Mancman » Fri May 02, 2014 3:47 am

Enjoyed this issue, especially the Golden Axe feature. Nice to see the Amstrad version coming out on top of the 8 bit versions!

Reading a few pages on this thread I couldn't help but laugh at how quickly it de railed, very funny.

On a similar note, has anyone else noticed in the Golden Axe cover, on the barbarian there's a muscle on his leg that looks like a penis? His right leg, our left, directly below the sword. Once I seen it, I can't now not see it!

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Fri May 02, 2014 10:43 am

Can I comment a little nonsense on the front page? Thanks, that's kind of you.
Did that painter fail the anatomy class? Seems like he took the upper barbarian body and grafted it onto someone 4 sizes bigger lower body. Also, the amazon head is rather small?

None of which is an error on RGs behalf.

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Sun May 04, 2014 8:20 am

NorthWay wrote:Can I comment a little nonsense on the front page? Thanks, that's kind of you.
Did that painter fail the anatomy class? Seems like he took the upper barbarian body and grafted it onto someone 4 sizes bigger lower body. Also, the amazon head is rather small?

None of which is an error on RGs behalf.
stylised? also - dragons don't exist.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Sun May 04, 2014 8:42 am

quite a few guys like that at my gym - muscled upper body but they forget their lower body and end up having weedy little chicken legs.

Maybe barbarian was too busy admiring himself in the gym and didn't do all the lower body exercises.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Ryan_McN

Post by Ryan_McN » Wed May 07, 2014 7:46 am

One of the better issues for myself personally. Enjoyed the Cheats feature and the Gameboy feature especially. Coverage of Tekken was interesting too. Keep it up!

joefish

Post by joefish » Wed May 07, 2014 1:08 pm

NorthWay wrote:Can I comment a little nonsense on the front page? Thanks, that's kind of you.
Her right foot is twisted at a bizarre angle too. Looks like the illustrator traced lots of body bits from pictures in muscle mags, none of them all quite of the same size and angle as each other. The dwarf looks really weird, being short and in a relaxed pose, but every muscle defined as if he was straining them out like the posing barbarian.